Moog DFAM

Modular newbie here, trying to understand what advancing the dfams sequencer with active steps on the M32 actually means. I understand in principle but the penny hasn’t dropped if you know what I mean…

Pimp my DFAM:

9 Likes

Yup, I want one. Besides being a feast of unique samples for octatrack, it sounds great and looks to be very fun to play. Hopefully soon.

The three red lights on the m32 sequencer are the active steps.
Each time one is played, the DFAM sequencer gets advanced by one step.
So you will see the lights on the DFAM sequencer advancing non-linearly.

For the DFAM to go through its whole sequence, the m32 goes through approximately 2.666 bars, the length that contains eight notes, when there are three active steps in one bar.

It’s much easier in practice than trying to explain it :thinking:

1 Like

Do they scrape against the plate?

Ok, I get it thanks. Some great possibilities there.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t tell, not my video :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t do this upgrade. The smaller knobs clearly distinct them from the actual signal flow of sound creation and as such, when you wanna reach for one or the other, you’re more likely to turn the right knob.

So just the physical visuals alone says, ”This here’s for the sound shaping, but over here, you’re shaping the motion of it.” A clear visual distinction that improves the flow, in my opinion.

Things really opened up for me when I realized that when you do sequence the DFAM externally (and there are many possible ways to do so) you can bypass the DFAM sequencer entirely.

1 Like

Yes indeed conditional trigs for one take it right beyond the 8 step sequencer .

1 Like

Here’s my final DFAM-only track, and also my favourite of the three. Time to bring it into the mix with the others.

EDIT: SoundCloud’s messing with me. Stay tuned.

And here we go …

10 Likes

I have to say, DFAM is insanely fun and bizarrely unpredictable in a creative way. I´m hooked!

Tomas

Here’s one I did doing some live DFAM flex recorder mangling on the OT:

3 Likes

DFAM is sounding very good, just wondering what Perfect Circuit Audio are doing with my back order ;-/

Probably having fun with it themselves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now that I’m using it with friends, I’ve made a few more traditional bread and butter sounds. Ye good olde kick, them snares, couple o’ hi-hats, and it excels in the more classic department as well. You don’t have to go bonkers with it just because you can, when you just want a damn fine plate of meat and potatoes, the DFAM delivers in that area, too.

2 Likes

What do you think of this little guy to go with the DFAM?

3 Likes

As well as all the cool pattern stuff it can act as a CV sequencer as well, you could have a LOT of fun with DFAM I’d say. Think mod fiesta :wink:
Good intro to modular too, very clever little box, my Pyramid should be worried.

I got a 30% discount on this thing. It’d be a crime not to go for it, no?

3 Likes

Yes!