Moog DFAM

Excellent, thanks, I’ll give this some thought.

Here’s my second go. I’ve really lost it when it comes to proper recording, mainly cause I’m enjoying the DFAM so much, I just can’t be bothered with the details. But there’s charm here anyway, I think.

I used a rimshot/trigger of the Drumatix to the Advance Clock , works like a charm . Plays nice with the AR aswel .

Here are my two first try-outs with the DFAM . There are two clips in the audio file . 1) DFAM = the ACID-ish line 2) Lots of blips and blops and a clap from an external source run through it… :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/crisp_2307/ep1-teaser-variations-12

Haha, bleeding brilliant stuff! Excellent work, mate! I can tell you like the Noise envelope too, it’s pretty damn hard to resist. It’s definitely my most overused knob so far.

I’m completely blown away by this machine . It truly is a unique piece …

Yall are’nt helping me at all! Ive been eyeballing dfam for awhile and have been unsure if I just go for it. I really love what both of you have brought to the table with it. If it’s as fun to play as it looks I’m going to have to go ahead and get one. Really want a mother as well but I’m afraid she will have to wait a little while. Great work!

Thanks. Keep in mind, it really is a drum synth, not anything like Moog’s mama for sequencing. The DFAM sequencer is for sound design, not for proper pattern creation. So it’s like the Vermona in that respect, but with an eight-stepper to make it more interesting.

What that in mind, can it be externally sequenced? From what I can tell, that answer will be no. Which is ok too.

I’m still just using the DFAM to learn it, but given that it has 24 patch points, I’d say that it can. All the sequencer does is trigger the sound, as well as allow you real-time tweaks for velocity and pitch. But both those parameters have patching points, and the trigger in as well has a patch point. So while I haven’t tried it, I’d assume it can be sequenced externally with anything that can sequence a CV-capable synth.

Given that even for an analog synth, this beast is particularly organic and evolving when it plays its own 8-step sequence, I’d be surprised if this can’t be sequenced. It would lose some of the point, cause using it only as a sound module, from which you can sample or potentially then create short loops, would be a wasted opportunity, one that I don’t think Moog would miss out on.

But don’t take my word for it. I’m pretty sure anyone around here who knows anything about modular - which excludes me, cause I still have no idea what I’m doing - would take a look at the patching area and give you a straight answer right away.

As it happens, I’ve been offered a stupid great price on a Crazy 8 Beats sequencer, which is perfect for sequencing the DFAM. I might just take the leap and try that, though I kind of like the simplicity of the 8-step sequencer and then use that material to record whatever comes to mind, and then develop it outside the DFAM. So we’ll see.

I have no issues with the 8 steps. From what I’ve seen from YouTube examples, that’s nothing to shabby. It does well with the organics within the unit itself and there most likely isn’t a real reason to sacrifice the fluidity of the unit just for external sequencing. I’m not in the modular scene either but this with the mother or lifeforms sv1 looks to be hours of experimental bliss. Thanks you for your input.

We’re in the same camp. The two tracks I posted, I made those in one evening each. While they’re nothing much, they’re still just eight steps and live tweaking as I was recording. And with some care, it’d still qualify as the base for something larger.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. So I agree with you. As eight steppers go, this is the funkiest one around for a long time, maybe since ever.

Yes. If you look closely at the video I posted above, you will see the DFAM sequencer is being advanced by the active steps of the M32.
= Easy polymetric patterns.

Modular newbie here, trying to understand what advancing the dfams sequencer with active steps on the M32 actually means. I understand in principle but the penny hasn’t dropped if you know what I mean…

Pimp my DFAM:

Yup, I want one. Besides being a feast of unique samples for octatrack, it sounds great and looks to be very fun to play. Hopefully soon.

The three red lights on the m32 sequencer are the active steps.
Each time one is played, the DFAM sequencer gets advanced by one step.
So you will see the lights on the DFAM sequencer advancing non-linearly.

For the DFAM to go through its whole sequence, the m32 goes through approximately 2.666 bars, the length that contains eight notes, when there are three active steps in one bar.

It’s much easier in practice than trying to explain it :thinking:

Do they scrape against the plate?

Ok, I get it thanks. Some great possibilities there.

Sorry I can’t tell, not my video :slight_smile: