Monomachine reissue petition

bump

What about an Octatrack + Monomachine? OT with MnM synth engines would be cool. But yea just please remake the monomachine and machinedrum. More MD, MnM needs to be available to broke sound explorers. I would never need more gear if I have the two with OT.

1 Like

Well… Despite I think MM was a nice box with some “semi-unique” tone and features, I really don’t get why it’s so wanted.

There are so many better sounding tools in the “same” sonic territory like just for example - Virus C, DN, Waldorf machines, and many others… With sequencer (for example DT or OT ) they will do much more sound vise

I would better see a new PolyMachine with 16 voices, better sounding engine, better sequencer etc…

And for collectors and ppl who really think they want it (as ppl who wants og 808 or 303 ) there are still a lot of them available

2 Likes

There are just some things you could execute on the Monomachine so much more quickly than any other machine I have used or seen since, even on other Elektron boxes.

Every machine having the same Amp parameters was a big one, you could hold function and control the decay on all machines at once.

Another prime example were how the FX machines worked. Being able to parameter lock the FX tracks with also their own Amp parameters was a big selling point to me and was especially useful in live settings. There’s similar functionality on the Analog machines for FX (parameter locking) but it doesn’t have the dedicated Amp parameters and also only has one LFO for the entire FX track. The Monomachine had 3x LFOs for each FX track and you could have up to 5x FX tracks if you wanted.

Also the SuperWave chord machine was so unique and special and I loved quickly experimenting unique chord progressions with that machine. Also the FM+ machines were infinitely more usable than anything I’ve come across in terms of FM since having the Monomachine.

There’s so many more elements that made the Monomachine truly special. Can you get similar results from other gear? Probably, but you would need like, at least 6 pieces of gear and even then you would only be approximating. There just hasn’t been anything close to taking the space of the Monomachine since Elektron stopped production.

The Analog Rytm replicates the Machinedrum pretty well… it at least is closer than the Analog Four is to the Monomachine. But there are still massive limitations. The biggest was being able to reassign any of the 16x LFOs to any tracks you wanted on the Machinedrum. Being limited to 1x LFO per track on the Rytm is truly sad, I really wish they would make it so you could assign the LFOs to different tracks.

Again, there are so many other functionalities I miss from the original Elektron boxes that made them truly special. I really hope that Elektron brings at least the Monomachine back in some form or capacity.

I luckily still have the Machinedrum UW, but unfortunately had to sell my Monomachine during some hard times back in 2013. Had I known they were going to stop production soon after I would have never had done that…

3 Likes

The only thing missing from the Monomachine is some of the newer sequencer tricks, like trig conditions, and the current reverb. That, and the modern case/trig design. Those are really the only upgrades needed.

5 Likes

WHAT!? have i been missing this for 6 years?

Can do this on both the Digis, along with any other parameter on all tracks.

1 Like

That’s just for the MD. Or I’ve been missing this for more than 10 years xD

1 Like

It’s designed to be imeditate in a way that you don’t have to spend time setting up anything except the synth/FX of each track.
There’s simply no other all-in-one machine like the monomachine - and the perfect size.
Please let me know if I’m wrong.
Maybe the op-1 (never tried one)
The a4mk1 doesn’t come even close (only 4 tracks, no samples, no FX/output routing, too much setup required) - it’s obviously designed for less immediate, less all-in-one (CV, macros, etc)

2 Likes

Maybe the best stuff has already been made. Yeh id vote for a reissue.

1 Like

Being able to swap like 2-3 of the sample slots with some synth engines when I want to really would make it the machine to end all machines. I’m trying to use it as a stand-alone compositional tool but thinking about what to load it with is kind of annoying sometimes.

I don’t really want a whole another box for a few synth sounds per track. Single cycle waveforms are cool but not always the vibe I want especially for modulated synth sounds. Might just need to come to terms with only using samples or picking up an actual synth at some point.

Please sign everyone!

1 Like

MNM is difficult. Clear tend towards wider sweet spot, more immediate, simpler not to mention cheaper gear.

1 Like

broke is kind of relative here… if they re-issued it, it wouldn’t be free. yeah it wouldn’t be $3k like they’re going for used, but it’d be pretty close to $2k.

regardless… it’s still true, just like it was last week in the Machinedrum thread, that they can’t do this without a MASSIVE undertaking. the chips aren’t made any longer. they’d have to re-write the whole thing from scratch. likely sounding different in the end anyway.

4 Likes

My bad, I played on the MD and MNM together for so long, I forgot the MNM had the added step of having to open Multi Env before you could actually do this. Sorry for misleading! It wasn’t intentional.

But this did remind me of another one of my favorite aspects of the MNM, the 3 different (well 4 I guess) trig tracks. It was so nice having the added control of splitting out AMP, FILTER, and LFO into their own tracks. I know that Octatrack and the Analogs have a similar behavior (being able to lock wether AMP/Filter/LFO trigger) but I just liked the clearer workflow.

The other thing on MNM I loved was the Super Copy where you could decide if you wanted the machine settings or melody/pitch data to be copied independently.

How many signatories are needed before it is debated in Swedish parliament?

5 Likes

i love how temporal music machines are. those dodgy transistors in the tr808, DSP56 chips, MOS 6581/8580… any more components long gone?

eveything’s of a moment, software can get close! but nothing like those electrons bouncing around a manmade flawed curiosity.

1 Like

they didnt save their ‘blue print’?

its on microfiche, so they gotta get one of those things working 1st

4 Likes

That number will be decided once the Syntakt thread gets to the appropriate post count.