Model:Samples battery handle pack

Sorry, I don’t own a Model: Device currently, so cannot check.

There’s two power inlets. The one at the back that use the wall wart with is 3.5x1.35 mm

The one at the side interned for the battery handle is 5.5x2.1mm

You can use either with a USB battery pack (and appropriate cable)

Onite DC Plugs Male 4.0x1.7mm, 4.0x1.35mm, 3.5x1.35mm, 3.5mm Mono, 3.0x1.1mm, 2.5x0.7mm, 2.5mm Mono, 2.35x0.7mm, 2.0x0.6mm Adapters for Electronics Devices Tablets, USB to DC 5.5x2.1mm Cord (DC9+1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PTZH555/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aFhoFbNVXYNTP

I got this usb to dc multi adapter and it had a connecting piece that fits the M:S nice and snug.

1 Like

Ok, thanks to all, in fact I had imagined that the side power inlet needs a larger hole adapter.

wow - the battery in is pretty good! 4-10V - so i guess best would be to use 18650 in series to not risk one to drop under 4V. 3x 3,6* 10,8V seems perfect - even without a buck-down-converter, right?

@Uija do you have your design on thingiverse?

I got the Onite USB cable/adapter kit recommended by @TheGhostCat above (and probably others on the forum). I also got a generic 24000mAh battery pack, and so far, it seems to work great! Honestly, the power consumption seems to be in line with or less than an iPhone (both come with a 5V 1A power supply), so you probably don’t even need a high capacity battery.

I’m a big fan of NiMH rechargeables (Eneloops and their off-brand counterparts), and they’re great for a lot of music equipment. I use dozens of them in Volcas and Roland Boutiques. But for the Model:Samples, I think the battery back/cable solution is the way to go, even if/when this official battery tube handle thing comes out. Given how stiff the velocity-sensitive track pads are, I don’t think i would want this thing propped up at an angle and making it even harder to get the full force you get when the M:S is on a flat surface. Plus, you’d have to empty out the batteries to charge them every time, and would probably get less battery life versus a good USB pack. Cheers!

1 Like

@porkloin used my files, made it more rebuildable (I laminated my own tube etc) and posted them on thingiverse:

1 Like

The Elektron Battery Handle is the perfect 2020 product - came in with promise, went down hill from there, has become a complete joke, and best to just be forgotten.

2 Likes

seems a bit harsh with everything going on thats most likely affecting production & development.

was it ever guaranteed already this year in the first place?

not that i’m impatient but would like to know some facts behind the battery handle announcement thats all.

1 Like

It was mentioned as coming soon when Model:Samples was released Jan 2019. Shouldn’t take almost 2 years to release a plastic handle that holds AA batteries.

4 Likes

From February. I’m guessing if production was extremely tricky back then, it’s more so during that whole global pandemic thing.

2 Likes

Yeah, one of the big reasons I wound up building my own was because I don’t really expect that the state of global supply chains at the moment is going to make it very likely that we’ll see the official handle available any time soon. It’s a shame too, because having the Model series devices truly portable really suits the “quick sketch” and immediate controls aspects of both of these boxes.

5 Likes

please be patient, it is less than 12 years :pl:

10 Likes

Dying for this. I cannot wait. Any info on eta?

Thanks! :heart_eyes:

Nope. Hopefully coming soon.

I really wonder what takes them so long to get such a - seemingly simple - accessory out …

is this going to be a rechargeable handle, or will it be a handle that makes use of rechargeable batteries that you need to buy a charger for and constantly recharge?

I believe it’s confirmed to just use standard AA batteries.

2 Likes

seriously?.. what is all the fuss then are people really so enamored with the idea of going back to the days of buying battery after battery … not meeeee

1 Like

Yep, without the option to recharge batteries internally, I can’t see much use for this. Unless you want a glorified stand for your Model.

1 Like