External battery for Model:Cycles

For anyone speaking german: This should work for the main power supply input, right? USB to 3,5/1,35mm DC plug, center positive, 5 V.

Sorry, i just can’t wrap my head around this stuff - volts, watts, polarity,… :upside_down_face:

Ok, just went ahead and tried it - works great, it can power the Cycles with an external battery. The plug is a little loose so not ideal if you want to use it on a train or similar but as long as both battery and Cycles are placed on a stable surface this not an issue.

1 Like

I just ordered this cable and it’s exactly the same connector as on the Elektron Power Supply so it fits perfectly.

For the Dutch speaking Model Cycles users around here:
https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-20-kabel/172/1084097/usb-a-naar-dc-voedingskabel-20.html
(Note: They do ship accross Europe, but the site is only in Dutch)

1 Like

@Uija was kind enough to send me his STL files for his DIY battery handle and I just finished putting together a version that uses a more “off the shelf” bill of materials.

I’m using 1 inch PVC pipe, a “lipstick” sized usb phone charger, and a conventional usb to dc barrel plug cable, much like everyone else in here has been using, as well as the 3D printed parts and one m3 bolt and nut for the other side attachment.

So far it’s working really well! Of course the PVC leaves something to be desired, but I might upgrade to a 1” electrical conduit sometime soon to get a nicer handle material.

Thanks again to @Uija for kindly letting me adapt his files - if he’s okay with it I’d be happy to share the STL files I created here in case anyone would like to build the same. This version should work with any usb battery bank smaller than 1” in diameter, including Anker’s Powercore+ Mini. I also found a ton of generic “lipstick” or cylindrical chargers that would work.

2 Likes

Sure! I didn’t share mine publicly because I build my own tube, soldered some batteries to a wire that you need a special charger to charge and that doesn’t help others a lot.
If yours is accessible for others, I am very happy that the files are used!

Okay, after making some additional revisions for better friction-fit on the brackets, here’s the final STL files for anyone out there with a 3D printer!

The Thingiverse post has a complete BOM, so hopefully this winds up helping others who want a good portable battery solution.

I got rid of my crummy PVC tube and replaced it with a 3D printed one, which turned out to be a much nicer option. I uploaded the tube I printed as an STL as well, so the only off-the-shelf materials required will be a compatible phone charger and a USB to 5.5x2.1 power cable.

So far I’m really loving it - the dual purpose “stand” functionality is more useful than I thought it would be. I’ll almost certainly still buy the Elektron version when it comes out since it’ll be a much more polished product, but in the interm this works great!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4567663

1 Like

works fine!
heres the link on aliexpress:

Regarding Model:Cycles battery life: with a straight 5V USB cable (no conversion to a higher voltage) the current draw is 300-400mA, which means that each 1000mAh of your power bank capacity should last at least 2 hours (2.5h theoretically, but not reliably).

OS 1.13 includes a battery charge meter in the display but it’s calibrated for the Power Handle voltage, so you’ll need to rely on your power bank’s charge meter, if it has one.

1 Like

Is there a preferred DC jack if using a 5V power bank? The side 5.5 or the back 3.5? I assume they operate the same but what do I know…

Am I right in thinking that if you use the back connector, then the internal battery charge meter does not apply ?

And if that’s the case, and you therefore choose to use the side connector to take advantage of the battery meter … is that meter any use at all with a power bank ? I see the configuration options are ‘Nimh’ and ‘Alkaline’ … with a power bank is either of those going to give a useful indication of either

• how much juice is left, or at least,
  • power is about to run out ?

If no-one knows, I guess I may have to buy the appropriate side-connector and find out.

EDIT: Okay … looks like I’ll be finding out myself :slight_smile:

Power banks use Li batteries, which have a different discharge curve than the Alkaline or NiMH batteries, so the meter won’t be accurate.

1 Like

I don’t mind it being not accurate, if only it gives me a bit of a warning about impending closedown. I’ve not used the powerbank enough yet to be able to tell if that will happen. If I don’t get either a warning or an automated shutdown, its just a £5 cable I won’t use again, no biggie.

Aha … googled that which leads me to the conclusion that telling the M:C it’s using NIMH batteries might give a better result. Looks like NIMH and LI both have a clear ‘knee’ at about the same voltage.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d post my solution for this. I bought a 10k powerbank from anker and the USB to jack cable from amazon.de that someone mentioned but I found that it had too much wiggle and would turn off if I moved.

To fix it designed/printed this bracket that holds the jack and the powerbank in place. It works nicely!

(I’m new so I can only upload one image)

I’ll upload the files to Printables soon but DM me if you want them before that.

Cheers!

5 Likes

There is little we can do with the design but to similarly give no “wiggle” room for the connectors, sounds like excellent work! May be worth finally calibrating the printer a friend gave to me :slight_smile:

My cheaper solution to the wiggle problem: use a penknife to carve away excess and ensure the new jack gets inserted as far as the elektron one.

Greetings,

I would like to direct my inquiry to the Model:Cycles owners who are willing to utilize their device with a powerbank or USB brick.

I am interested to know which powerbank you use with the Model:Cycles and which RipCord (or MyVolts) converter you connect to it.

Additionally, I am looking for a powerbank that is small and light, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could also provide information on how long it lasts.

As I am not familiar with the concepts of amperage and wattage, I kindly inquire to prevent any erroneous purchase.

Thank you in advance.

The models already run on 5v, so no need for any ripcord, just a USB to barrel converter (you can use either a centre positive 3.5 × 1.35 mm barrel or center positive 5.5 × 2.1 barrel, depending on which input you’re using.).

I just use a bog standard Anker battery pack (20,000 mAh I think) works fine, lasts hours.

Here it is…
https://amzn.eu/d/e88NKzF

Thank you!

MyVolts is selling these:

I like it due to its size and weight (wanna maximize portability) but not szre whether 5000 mAh is sufficient for my M:C, AND occasionally for my DT…

Do you think it could manage like 2-3 hours?

Thanks!

Yeah, probably, but not much more.