Model:Samples battery handle pack

Why there is no battery compartment is really beyond me. I wonder if the M:C goes into the official bag with the handle attached. Any intel on that?

I am quite sure, that the box is packed to the edge and there is no place left for a battery. Buttons and encoders take up some space and the device is too thin to hold a battery together with the PCB and cells.

I bought a USB to 3.5x1.35 Cable and connected the M:C to a powerbank. That worked great too. If I didn’t have the parts for the handle already here, I would not have built one!

Of course it works. The M:C can even be powered via it’s USB port directly. EDIT: the previous sentence is a false claim. It’s not a big deal. I just wonder why Korg can do it with the Volcas. I would just love to be able to take the device out of my backpack without having to hook up additional parts, e.g., when waiting in an airport lounge and such.

2 Likes

well, why can’t my bike drive without me adding force to it, while my car can? :stuck_out_tongue:
And why can’t the Volca do everything the Model-Series can do?

The Volca Models are thicker. Deluge has a 18650 in it too, but it also thicker.
As far as I know, all the Elektron devices need external power-devices to work. And to be honest: Most of the devices are used stationary 98% of the time (if not more). I think it is a good choice to build a “slicker” device than add something that can fail, burn (see Samsun Problems with their batteries some time ago), need support and are not used most of the time. It also would make the device more expensive by adding a feature, most of the users won’t use.

I took my Deluge downstairs to jam on the couch 3 times now, and it would’t be a problem just bringing a cable with me, to connect it to power :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re probably right. I may have made it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is to me. Anyway - kudos for your DIY battery solution.

In the Model:Cycles video, they show non-rechargable Energizer AA batteries being instered into the battery handle. (AdanJay has posted a screenshot above). Ther’re no reason to beliieve it will have USB charging.

I plan in using Eneloop rechargable batteries with it, but they’ll have to be charged in their own charger.

Great work on the DIY version, though!

2 Likes

Oh, okay. Don’t like that solution tho :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope its going to be 4 x AA’s. The Panasonic eneloop charger only fits four batteries at once, so if it only uses four, I’ll only need a single charge cycle to get all batteries recharged.

I am quite sure it will be 4. They need 4-10V. One AA is labeled 1.2V, thats 4.8V together. So 3 wouldn’t be an option. It seems, that 5 wont fit into the length of the machine.

1 Like

I just bought a 20.000 mAh powerbank and usb to 3.5 cable; maybe the powerbank is too big but it will be handy for my tablet and phone to.

Maybe you already now but you can also dim screen and LEDs from the set up menu, just like it does when connecting the battery pack handle thing…

I just wonder why it’s taking them so long to release it.

This is not true.

It can be powered by the normal DC port on the rear, or the handle battery DC port on the side.
It can not be powered by the micro USB port on the rear.

Perhaps you meant “can’t”?

Just trying to dispel any confusion.

4 Likes

Oh, my apologies for spreading misinformation. I was sure to have read so somewhere™.

@tsutek Nitecore sells cheap 18650 chargers and good quality rechargable 18650 batteries.

I use them for my outdoor stuff, like my flash lights, headlights, etc. They are excellent, high quality and very affordable!

www.nitecore.com

1 Like

No worries.

Good news is there are still lots of options on how to power the Model: boxes!
Battery banks and PSUs work in either DC port, and the two DC ports (rear and side/handle) are different barrel sizes. I have an old 5V PSU from a monoprice USB Hub that works in the rear DC port. I keep it by my sofa :slight_smile:

One thing folks should know though is the “battery profile” that is forced when using the side/handle port prohibits (see edit) you from using MID or HIGH settings on the LCD and LEDs.
This is not a problem unless you’re in sunlight (if you’re in sunlight, use the rear DC port)
And it makes batteries last a really Really REALLY long time :slight_smile:
edit: sometimes “forced”, and sometimes can be turned up in settings, depending on battery.

1 Like

I had no issues setting lcd and led to MID when using my battery handle.

1 Like

some off topic tangents have developed about samplers and fx… those posts have been flagged. #thankscommunity!

friendly reminder to stay on topic

2 Likes

I’m glad you posted this.
Upon further inspection, it seems that the MIN settings for LED and LCD are sometimes forced upon startup, but you can go into DEVICE settings and turn them up.

I’m able to get to MID and MAX on two of my USB battery packs, using a USB to DC cable in the side/handle port.

I will revise my statement.

1 Like

I’m pretty tempted to just go the USB charging bank route instead of waiting for the handle… even though I already have an army of rechargeable AA batteries for my nanoloops and dude mixer. I have to say though modern rechargeable AA batteries are really really much better than the ones for the old days, they hold charge really well not in use now and a full charge can run nanoloop mono in a backlit gameboy for days it seems, if used lightly daily I would say I need to change them around once every 2 or 3 weeks? I would suspect a lower battery life on the model series but I bet it is still a few days of heavy use. Hope the handle comes soon though, it really is pretty.

2 Likes

I have a portable power plug but not arsed atm to go portable with the m:c. Its used in a stationary point so no need right now.

However the handle seems less cluttery so