Model:Samples battery handle pack

Great idea

It already has this function, says it on the main page so it’s locked in! Definitely nice to have.

I’m looking forward to it. It’s nice to finally see it in a video.

I’ve been using my MS with various USB batteries and a USB to DC cable, in the normal PSU DC port on the rear.
5V/1A is so little draw that these battery packs last hours and hours. I usually don’t spend more than an hour at a time on my MS, and the battery meter doesn’t even move.

So I imagine the 4 AAs will last a good long while, plus the kick stand is a nice bonus feature.

3 Likes

Why indeed.

Working on my own handle currently.
3D Printed Parts fit. I had a GFK Tube (Handmade for my RC-Flying hobby) lying around that perfectly fits 2 18650 cells. Need to build something cool for the screw on the right side, then it should work.

22 Likes

There we go…

2x 18650 serial connected, Thats 7V to 8.4V with around 6Ah Capacity thats around 45Wh.
I used 4% of my 20Ah Powerbank ( around 100Wh) yesterday in 2h. Thats around 2Watt of powerconsumption (very very rough calculate!) Thats would mean, I can use my Handle for 22,5h! To be save, I will calculate with 10-12h, thats more than enough for a day!

Why am I faster, than Elektron?

I am okay with 3d printed parts. People who pay for it, won’t. While I think, that they will use the same type of cells, they will have more features in it. I am quite sure, their Handle will have an USB Port to recharge the handle. Mine doesn’t have one! I need to use the charger for it, I use with my model airplanes.
I don’t have to setup a production with it. I don’t have to certificate it as electric device, I don’t have to care about recycling of batteries, because I don’t sell them. I don’t have to make sure, that everyone is able to use it, without hurting themself…

I am quite sure, that I will buy the official handle, as soon as it is available, just for the USB Charging tho.

Until then, I am happy, with my orange GFK handle :wink:

13 Likes

Nice. Regarding USB charging functionality: is there a reference to that feature anywhere? I don’t see it happening, tbh.
As you’ve built your own handle: is there no way to build this without the protruding cable?

1 Like

I just assumed, that it will be USB Charged, because, thats the easiest way to do it. Maybe they use the same plug, than for the normal power adapter.

You could put the cable into the arm. That would need a special connector and a slightly bigger arm. I choose this way, because I had the plug with attached cable already and was to lazy do design and print another part :stuck_out_tongue:

Why there is no battery compartment is really beyond me. I wonder if the M:C goes into the official bag with the handle attached. Any intel on that?

I am quite sure, that the box is packed to the edge and there is no place left for a battery. Buttons and encoders take up some space and the device is too thin to hold a battery together with the PCB and cells.

I bought a USB to 3.5x1.35 Cable and connected the M:C to a powerbank. That worked great too. If I didn’t have the parts for the handle already here, I would not have built one!

Of course it works. The M:C can even be powered via it’s USB port directly. EDIT: the previous sentence is a false claim. It’s not a big deal. I just wonder why Korg can do it with the Volcas. I would just love to be able to take the device out of my backpack without having to hook up additional parts, e.g., when waiting in an airport lounge and such.

2 Likes

well, why can’t my bike drive without me adding force to it, while my car can? :stuck_out_tongue:
And why can’t the Volca do everything the Model-Series can do?

The Volca Models are thicker. Deluge has a 18650 in it too, but it also thicker.
As far as I know, all the Elektron devices need external power-devices to work. And to be honest: Most of the devices are used stationary 98% of the time (if not more). I think it is a good choice to build a “slicker” device than add something that can fail, burn (see Samsun Problems with their batteries some time ago), need support and are not used most of the time. It also would make the device more expensive by adding a feature, most of the users won’t use.

I took my Deluge downstairs to jam on the couch 3 times now, and it would’t be a problem just bringing a cable with me, to connect it to power :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re probably right. I may have made it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is to me. Anyway - kudos for your DIY battery solution.

In the Model:Cycles video, they show non-rechargable Energizer AA batteries being instered into the battery handle. (AdanJay has posted a screenshot above). Ther’re no reason to beliieve it will have USB charging.

I plan in using Eneloop rechargable batteries with it, but they’ll have to be charged in their own charger.

Great work on the DIY version, though!

2 Likes

Oh, okay. Don’t like that solution tho :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope its going to be 4 x AA’s. The Panasonic eneloop charger only fits four batteries at once, so if it only uses four, I’ll only need a single charge cycle to get all batteries recharged.

I am quite sure it will be 4. They need 4-10V. One AA is labeled 1.2V, thats 4.8V together. So 3 wouldn’t be an option. It seems, that 5 wont fit into the length of the machine.

1 Like

I just bought a 20.000 mAh powerbank and usb to 3.5 cable; maybe the powerbank is too big but it will be handy for my tablet and phone to.

Maybe you already now but you can also dim screen and LEDs from the set up menu, just like it does when connecting the battery pack handle thing…

I just wonder why it’s taking them so long to release it.

This is not true.

It can be powered by the normal DC port on the rear, or the handle battery DC port on the side.
It can not be powered by the micro USB port on the rear.

Perhaps you meant “can’t”?

Just trying to dispel any confusion.

4 Likes