Model:Cycles

I don’t necessarily want a system that is constantly saving and not allowing undo/reload.
I just stay pretty diligent in my saving procedures.
Saving Patterns after big changes, sample assignments that I want to keep.
Saving Projects after making multiple big changes / working in more than 1 pattern.
Saving backup Projects a couple times a week, and prior to OS updates (for fear of project corruption, which I’ve only experienced when updating the OS on the Rytm MK1).

Making a habit out of it has kept me from losing hard work. Which everyone will lose at least once before making a habit out of it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to know!

I also like this. Cirklon does it and I thought it was fun/intuitive the first time I learned it.

2 Likes

Pyramid takes it a stage further, you can just hold selected notes and scroll their position, it’s dope.

2 Likes

Been using the kick module for bass lines & adding punch/gate, then p-locking different decays etc… so much fun!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I think powering down only quicksaves the pattern (FUNC + spanner icon) whereas a pattn save from the menu makes permanent save?

1 Like

Question is: When do/could I lose my quicksave / what is the difference?

If you change the project without saving, quicksave states get lost?

The TEMPORARY SAVE PATTERN and TEMPORARY RELOAD PATTERN commands are great when improvising live. Any changes made to the active pattern, like adding bass line notes or using CONTROL ALL, can immediately be undone. At the same time, the saves and reloads will not affect the pattern in a permanent way.

The TEMPORARY SAVE PATTERN command does not save the pattern permanently, and any changes are lost if you load another project. If you wish to save your changes perma- nently, you should use SAVE PATTERN in the CONFIG menu. For more information, please see “12.1.2 SAVE” on page 41.

you are correct

2 Likes

how is with the mutes guys? when you switch to new pattern, is it saved with the pattern (the state of the mutes) or just stay in the state it was in previous pattern?

mute stays as last pattern was

1 Like

global mutes only AFAIK

1 Like

First impressions:

• it’s quite ugly, lol
  • control layout feels good, having everything laid out in front of you is really nice and you can jam with your brain switched off much more easily than the other devices I’d say - no unpleasant surprises when you’re on the wrong page or whatever and navigation is quick
  • buttons are a bit squishy but you get used to them, pads I set to fixed velocity as I couldn’t hit them hard enough
  • the drum engines sound great and are really versatile, can hit most of the sweet spots for the kind of drums I’m after easily
  • tone generator is pretty cool
  • chords is the weakest one imo, sounds a bit samey as really only one knob actually changes timbre in the traditional sense (sweep), nice for dub techno chords though and can get some nice results still, just would like a bit more sonic range I guess (I’m not really into “musical” music, more techno etc, so I doubt I’ll use many of the chords available but you never know!)
  • effects are to the usual high standard
  • pushing things out of the usual range e.g. really low or high pitch can get interesting results
  • the distortion sounds amazing when you push loads of stuff, amazing crunchy sound (see Ess’s Perfect Circuit video) - really love this
  • would be nice to have attack without sacrificing the LFO, I feel like it would open up the range of the sounds somewhat, eg go create pads with Chords while still having some tonal movement from the LFO
  • would love to see more machines added, I think there’s loads of potential here but also great value as is

Overall, it sounds amazing and is really fun and easy to use, and has a pretty wide range considering the lack of controls compared to other Elektrons. I’m sure there are loads of hidden tricks waiting to be discovered too.

My main use case was for drums so the fact that it makes a really fun all in one groovebox with melodic capabilities is a great bonus, and honestly I created one of my favourite things I’ve made for a while in about 15 mins jamming on it already so I’m pleased!

If you’re at all interested and can spare the cash, so far I’d highly recommend it even if you already have e.g. Machinedrum and Digitone, it is very much it’s own machine and I think will be a very rewarding purchase. Nice work Elektron team!

11 Likes

I’m looking to purchase one of these at the absolute latest on Friday, anyone know where they’ll be in stock?

Use the sustain button and remove most of harmonics, and you can get interesting bass out of this machine.
Very short decays can’t also bring it to interesting places.

Had some time with it tonight… it’s certainly quick. I don’t feel the immediate wow effect from the Digitone, but I think I’ll learn to like it quickly.

The LFO setup page is such an improvement, bring able to dial both the destination and the amount is fantastic.

I regret that you can’t easily change octaves.
I haven’t found the pan function yet, got to check the manual about this.

So far the few menus don’t feel very intuitive to navigate, the UX in this regard doesn’t make sense to me yet. But it should come quickly.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me the reason why the trig keys follow the tracks pad note, as per below? It seems kinda strange…took me ages to work out why trig 1 was playing an E :joy:

1. The [TRIG 9] key trigs the presets’s root note (If KBT is set to 0, see below).
1 Like

I find this rather nice: when playing a bass line e.g. in the key of Cm, you will want to access lower notes. As the octave change is not very intuitive (unless I missed a shortcut, I so miss the arrows) having the root note in the middle makes it easier to play a melody, I found…

3 Likes

I’m surprised nobody’s painted theirs yet. With the stickers and fairly bland color scheme, it’s begging to be decorated

2 Likes

Hah I’m always looking for that octave!!! It’s like a crutch from jamming on the bass an guitar…although the key of E was always the goto for a quick jam on bass and guitar, since playing keys (trigs) more these days I find C is the goto for a quick noodle. I was just curious as I couldn’t see a reason to break from the convention I guess.

1 Like