Model:Cycles

In my experience, the headphone output seems plenty hot. What I love is that you can set a threshold for the headphone independent of the main out level. I have mine set to 52%.

1 Like

Lower. For ARmk2 at about 30% volume (10 o’clock) I’d probably have the M:C at about 70% to get similar volume with the same pair of headphones.

It’s not problematically quiet, or in any way noisy, but definitely not being driven as hot.

1 Like

It’s running on less voltage, so I am not surprised.

But yea, on my 80ohm Beyers, I am happy with how much it can push.

2 Likes

Basically I’m wondering if it’s hot enough to be heard thru the stereo input of the AR Mk1.

So what do you do if you only want to save the pattern you are working on without shutting it down? This happens to me if I have tweaked a few different patterns, but I only want to save one of them. Also, I mentioned this above, but having the pattern save save is great for live jamming. You get tweaking your sounds a bunch and then you can save and reload to a past point. If you have been jamming and tweaked a few different patterns, you wouldn’t want to save the whole project, because some patterns might be in a very different place, and also, you wouldn’t want to shut It down just to save it. The pattern save and reload are very useful features for jamming and are great for the workflow of the Models.

But in this case, shutting down will save all of them, won’t it ?

I got the “in stock” notification but no shipping notification yet. Hopefully soon :grimacing: I’m so ready to get my “Fuck your samples!” on!! :joy: (and my candy :lollipop:)

I’m gonna sample Ess into the DT saying that, then put a beat underneath. Gonna be earth shattering!

2 Likes

Just realized that my initial misgivings about the styling of the Model series may actually stem from a subliminal association to my laminator at work.

11 Likes

Function + spanner (settings) is temp save. Pattern reload loads from the temp area.

I actually don’t know what, if anything it saves if you shut it down. On all of my machines I generally save the work I want to save before shutting down, because they are all different in that regard. I was responding to your question, which was:

1 Like

Right, and if there is no temporary save, then it reloads from the last save point

It saves everything when you shut it down by pressing the master volume encoder.

just got my M:C yesterday. it’s #superdope, and I really like the pads!

it’s definitely weird to not have directional arrows for nudging a track’s trigs back or forth, and there are a couple of other quirks to come to grips with compared to my bigger elektron boxes, but i definitely dig this machine!

5 Likes

This is true, however with a caveat. You’ll still want to use the Save Project command, eventually.

I’ve noticed that if i use the Load Project command after only using this “power down to save” process, it loads the last saved state that was saved via the Save Project command, and not the last saved state that was saved via power down.

5 Likes

yea, i’m getting to the point where, like @pselodux, I prefer this newer model method of moving trigs left and right (hold TRACK + turn DATA encoder) versus the older arrows way.
You can get a little more randomization in the quick spin motion as it could land anywhere, and you can make bigger jumps in both directions faster when using it as a live remix tool.

6 Likes

Second impressions:

Still in the usual honeymoon period so this needs a pinch of salt but I’m enjoying it. I’m not really in to drum machines and out of the box that’s what it’s immediately best at. So I was a little bit worried this ride would wear thin quickly. But once I hooked it up with a keyboard I really started to grin. And with years of Elektron knowledge in the noggin I’ve been able to shift around the thing pretty quickly.

Trying to keep feet firmly on the ground though. Very easy to get carried away and think of possibilities of this paired with a DT, DN, MS, etc. Don’t want to go down that rabbit hole just yet. Really looking forward to the battery handle too - can oddly see myself using this more on travels than the OP-Z I had.

Anyway, so yeah, I get why some think it can sound a bit shit at times but then what FM synth can’t sound that way? Even the FS1R I had years back could sound lame at times. But play about with MC and you’ll definitely have fun. And those delay/reverb algorithms make most things sound fantastic.

2 Likes

There is something not so logical in this whole stuff.
Anyway, save project before powering down will be my habit, I guess.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily want a system that is constantly saving and not allowing undo/reload.
I just stay pretty diligent in my saving procedures.
Saving Patterns after big changes, sample assignments that I want to keep.
Saving Projects after making multiple big changes / working in more than 1 pattern.
Saving backup Projects a couple times a week, and prior to OS updates (for fear of project corruption, which I’ve only experienced when updating the OS on the Rytm MK1).

Making a habit out of it has kept me from losing hard work. Which everyone will lose at least once before making a habit out of it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to know!

I also like this. Cirklon does it and I thought it was fun/intuitive the first time I learned it.

2 Likes