Model:Cycles Tips & Tricks Thread

The manual does refer to length though for both …

It does. Currently the LEN setting doesn’t seem to do anything in the Retrig Setup menu, only in the Trig Repeat menu. Either it’s a redundant feature that should have been removed, or it’s something that doesn’t work as it should?

I think this is the only way the length setting works for now too.
If I’m on grid recording mode and I hold down the trig I want to apply RETRIG to and open the RETRIG MENU to apply it, the length seems to affect it at least up until another trig plays.

Scratching my head with this one. I wonder if i’m misinterpreting the manual. Way it reads though is that both Retrig and Trig repeat menu should work the same . I wonder if ELEKTRON could give any clarity around this ?

1 Like

@eangman is your man (woman/other?) for manual topics.

i’ll ask the question, thanks.

1 Like

Say if I have Plock parameters on a Trig but only want to copy specific locks to other trigs , can I do this , as when i copy it copy’s everything including note data . Any way to avoid this?

You can hold multiple trigs and adjust parameters to plock all of them, but you can’t copy certain parameters only.

2 Likes

Thanks, good to know . I really appreciate your time .

Do you know if that is possible on the octatrack, too?

Yes, it’s on all Elektron devices. I think the combination is FUNC+L/R arrows when in grid recording mode.

1 Like

nice! Thanks!

Does anyone know if there’s a way to apply parameter automation recording to global (i.e. hold Track button + turn knob) control changes? I find this method to be a really fun way to “live shape” the overall sound of the M:C, would be amazing to be able to automate them.

Additionally, is it possible to get MIDI cc output from these global changes? (Would be cool if the global controls had their own MIDI track/output, but alas that doesn’t appear to be the case.)

Thanks !!

I’ve seen it asked in a couple of places, how can I easily re-organise the factory samples in the M:C. The problems being (1) the transfer app does not expose the /factory folder and (2) you can’t move preset files conveniently, so if you want to have a folder of, say, bass drum sounds which is a mix your own and say 10 from the factory folder, it’s not terribly easy.

It’s not too hard to figure out, but to save effort, here it is. You need the transfer app AND a ‘sysex app’ like C6 or sysex librarian.

Step 1

On M:C, in Plusdrive folder /factory, folder by folder, send the folder as sysex to your ‘sysex app’

Step 2

On M:C in new folder (maybe factor2) on Plusdrive, for each sysex

• create receiving folder (SY, BD etc)
  • navigate inside that empty folder
  • send the corresponding sysex (using your chosen sysex app) to the M:C and the presets will land in that folder

Step 3

Copy your new folder (factor2 if you followed my suggestion) to your computer using transfer and re-arrange the 512 presets as you wish.

It may need pointing out that these files (the sysexs and the preset files generated from them) are, I think, licensed to you by Elektron, so they should not be shared. (That’s my understanding at the moment)

2 Likes

I suppose a workaround for different glide times would be to set velocity to modulate the fade . Would this work ?

I know this isn’t a solution for everybody but i hooked up my DT to my M:C and set the CC’s to control the Fade and reset on the LFO for the Cycles and it has opened up a whole new world of performance for me on this thing being able to control the fade and LFO rate alone is awesome.

A boring but time effective tip if you create a lot of presets and want to rename them fast, is to hook up Cycles with the Transfer app and create a folder structure like @bibenu mentioned (if you don´t have it already).

When you have created a preset on Cycles, go to the preset menu and just save the preset with the default name in the right folder. Jump over to the Transfer app, right click on the preset you just created and choose “Rename”.

This will save you from joggling in a preset name on Cycles every-time you want to save a preset or overwrite the current one.

5 Likes

I managed to create a pure noise source with the tone engine that can be useful to layer drums. Preset attached here

Pitch: 0 (+24 for brighter noise and -24 for darker noise)
Decay: 32 (adjust to taste. Short decay below 8 for drum click)
Color: 15 (grittier at around 1 and below)
Shape: 127
Sweep: 127
Contour: 0 (higher settings makes it more lo-fi/grittier)
Volume: 80 (higher for snappier sound)
Punch: off
Gate: off

LFO
Wave: Random (last one)
Mul: x2k
Dst: Pitch
Depth: 12.0 (affects the sound if changed).
LFO setting: 48 but doesn´t seem to affect the sound.

26 Likes

This trick can be used to build a 4 page Track/Pattern, from multiple 1 page patterns…

Page - Copy, Paste, Clear
To do these operations, you need to be in Grid Recording (play or stop) mode.

Copying a PAGE, copies the trigs, from one of the four pages of a track.

Then you can paste those trigs, to one of the four pages, of another track.

First, select a track to copy a page from, by holding down the TRACK button, and pressing one of the 6 track buttons T1-T6.

Then select the page you want to copy, by pressing the PAGE button repeatedly (short presses) until the page you want to copy from is lit (1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4).

Then press and hold the PAGE button down, and press the COPY(RECORD) button, then release the PAGE button.

To paste the page of trigs, into a page of another track.
First, select a track to paste a page to, by holding down the TRACK button, and pressing one of the 6 track buttons T1-T6.

Then select the page you want to paste to, by pressing the PAGE button repeatedly (short presses) until the page you want to paste to, is lit (1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4).

Then press and hold the PAGE button down, and press the PASTE(STOP) button, then release the PAGE button.

To clear one page of a track.
First, select a track to erase a page from, by holding down the TRACK button, and pressing one of the 6 track buttons T1-T6.

Then select the page you want to erase, by pressing the PAGE button repeatedly (short presses) until the page you want to erase is lit (1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4).

Then press and hold the PAGE button down, and press the CLEAR(PLAY) button, then release the PAGE button.

NOTE: I find it easier to perform these operations when the sequencer is not running (RECORD and STOP lights lit, not flashing), as it is easier to see witch page I have selected.

Remember you must be in Grid Recording mode, to perform these operations.

4 Likes

I wasn’t sure what machine you started with so I went with KICK and holy moly. These settings are fun.

1 Like