Model:Cycles Tips & Tricks Thread

I managed to create a pure noise source with the tone engine that can be useful to layer drums.

I mention the tone machine in the first sentence :slight_smile: Will try the setting out with the kick machine.

2 Likes

:laughing: oh no! I skimmed that detail! My bad!

On other machines these settings suit some industrial sounds pretty well (albeit accidentally due to my negligence)
Thanks for offering up the recipe!

3 Likes

I just got model:cycles two days ago, and scrolled through this whole thread thinking someone else would’ve mentioned this already… I found out that you can use a midi feedback loop (midi in to midi out, disable all sync in and out) to make one track control many (or all) tracks… This is awesome for making layered synth patches, and if you set the encoder destination to internal+external, you can control all the track parameters from the “master” track without using CTRL All… I’m gonna dive deeper into this to see if I can get multiple lfo’s working on a single track… Anyway that’s my contribution… I just used a stereo 1/8th cable to go midi in to midi out… This is damn fun little box…

26 Likes

Not gonna lie, my head exploded a little lol.

1 Like

Whoa! Thavius Beck, no less.

1 Like

Delay Time: 32
Delay Feedback: 100
Put delay on your rhythmic tracks (percussion & secondary melody)
Play them for a couple of bars then mute them

Enjoy your lowpass filtered rhythm!

5 Likes

did you ever make a video of this?

I’ve been enjoying getting funky timing by tuning decay, swing, then using sweep to further get a nice spacing and groove before going back to decay.

Super basic process but messing with such a simple interface leads me to optimize for the right things and being able to better collapse “preset” design with rhythm!

2 Likes

Did anyone find some nice trick using midi loopback on the M:C?

2 Likes

I had already read that post. And tbh I did not succeed in reproducing it

1 Like

I don’t understand this, why would one encoder control the parameters of ALL tracks?

I guess @thaviusbeck was saying, with a midi loop back, decide (say) track 1 is your master, and set it to send on (say) midi 11, then set all other tracks (or, more interestingly, only some of them) to receive on midi 11 ?

5 Likes
5 Likes

I think I’m getting close? I love the noise, I just wish I could control it better

Well, that was chaotic. I’m betting there’s a good use for that though.

I still cant replicate this, I mean, I put track 1 midi out on from track menu, track 1 sends midi out to channel 16, tracks 2-3-4-5-6 listen to midi-in on channel 16. I connected a standard 5 pin midi cable from midi out to midi in of the M:C using Elektron adapters but still nothing happens in the sense that track 1 is not “controlling” every other tracks. Am I missing some config?

EDIT: Ok, I needed to disable midi through. Now it is working as expected!

4 Likes

Hi, yes it’s definitely working . I approached it from the angle where the midi out track controlled all the trigs of the midi in tracks so they all play the same trigs together which can be used to get thicker synth sounds , whereas I can see that you are controlling the parameters for all sounds using the encoder , but the patterns being played are different.

Thank you. Would be great to move trigs also per page and not the whole trigs of all pages.

Pretty sure you press page plus record to copy the page and page plus stop to paste it.

2 Likes