Model:Cycles OS 1.11 & 1.12: bug reports

Does anybody else experience this? When I try to change a pattern by pressing pattern + a trig very often the machine doesn’t responses and I have to do it again before the change finally happens. In the scale menu I have set change to happen after 16 steps but the machine doesn’t react so fast. Often a 16 step pattern repeats several time before it changes. And the behaviour of the screen seems not consistent as well. Sometimes it is indicated that a change is happening (for example from B2 to B3). But sometimes there is no indication but the changes happens anyway. All this makes it difficult for me to jam with patterns and could be a reason for me to return the machine. So annoying. I never have this problem with my older elektron boxes. (Problem solved: when I press pattern only first and then the step button -instead of both of them together - it works totally fine. User Error)

I begin to figure it out. It seems you have to be a bit patient and don’t make pattern changes to rapidly.

Hahaha it actually done it again after I unplugged the OT agghhh. I hardly ever reboot my laptop so will give that a bash. Damnit!

Are you on 1.12? In the release notes there’s something about that being a bug.

1 Like

Yea I experienced it a lot before 1.12 but have not since updating.

1 Like

it’s been my experience that, given how squishy the trigs are, it’s possible to get false triggers if you press lightly on the corner - it has happened enough for me to notice, it relates to needing glasses in my case, but if you don’t catch the trig central and firm you can get the impression that there has been a press whereas in fact it’s not - due to the clickiness and switch design of older gear, this was never an issue - just something to ponder

2 Likes

Same issue here with Ableton Live and USB Audio. After a few minutes the audio from Live drops and I can only hear the sound from the M:C, although the monitoring still shows activity in Live.
But switching the audio interface doesn’t work, I have to power off and on the M:C to get audio again.
MacOs Mojave and M:C OS 1.12

2 Likes

Yeah I have been using mine for about a month with no issues and this just started quite suddenly. I am going to try and mess with some of the settings on my mac and uninstall some software that I have recently installed. It is happening so frequently it is really annoying now…cut out in the middle of a take last night grrr!

Thank you for the info, I will check it later

I have been trying some stuff to fix this and having no joy. I went to roll back the OS but only 1.12 is available. Just wondering if you had issues on both OS?

I had unstable syncing when I was recording. The result is a Pitch Shifting kind of FX. I like it very much. You can hear it in this Track :

Yeah that’s much cooler than the audio just cutting out on the return path!
It’s a really nice sounding track.

1 Like

I just got over issues with “completely freezing” and having to un/replug.
It ended up happening when a MIDI splitter box (in the chain leading to a clock-slaved MC v1.12) was powered with its optional power cable. It happened more often when things plugged in to the chain were not powered.

It looked like alot of phantom data was coming in off the electric current. That might bug out any midi gear. So might sending multiple midi tracks into one track. Worth a try though for sure.

Asking in ableton’s forum m4l thread I was told probles is m4l lfo trasmits data at audio rate, no midi device can cope with that. So solution would be to add a speedlim object (5-10ms) to midi cc knobs or lfo midi out.

I have not tried this with the cycles yet but it does work well with the volca drum. I have no m4l experience si is a slow process for me

Mine is bricked now, freezing at startup screen :sleepy:
Tried a factory reset but still same.

I also have a pitch shifting effect caused by wobbly clock when I try to clock it via Ableton. The pitch shift / delay is always strongest when starting the recording, same goes for recording midi data. The audio delay can be compensated for when I just try to let the cycles (clocked by Ableton Live 10) run for a few bars, the midi delay (when recording the midi coming from the cycles) is always there for the first note the delay of the notes after this can be compensated for with midi clock delay. What also often happens is a complete freeze up of the Unit (OS1.12) as soon as I change midi settings in Ableton. Only unplugging the power cable helps. All the problems happen over Audio+Midi over USB have not tried it with the Midi plugs.

I am on a Mac running Mojave and the latest Ableton Live Version.

1 Like

M:S 1.12

You cannot chain the same Pattern more than once without chaining another one first.

1 Like

Did you try leaving it unplugged for a while? Sometimes things have to properly discharge before they will boot properly.

12 hours roughly, will try to wait for a few more days, thanks.

Hey there… Do me a favor and open a ticket with E.

I’ve been emailing Christian. Maybe with more people offering scenarios it will help?

A few things to test:

1. Are you just using audio or midi and audio over USB? I’m suspecting that midi from ipad, etc. into M:C may be causing the audio issue… but it seems too sporadic for me to say for sure.

2. Are you using a “real” apply CCK AND a real apple charger/power brick? I’ve been doing some digging, and it’s actually possible for the finger print scanner to not work if you use a non-apple charger! something to do with voltages outside specs, etc… And since power and USB are so tightly coupled on the iPad and M:C, maybe there’s something there causing the USB audio to drop out

3. What ios ver have you run into this issue on?

Again, at least for me, it’s audio stopping on the M:C while connected via USB, even if not actually using USB audio. Just having Audio>Int Out set to anything other than ON (i.e. AUT or OFF) has caused audio from M:C’s analog outputs (headphones and main) to stop.

Did more testing, I think I discovered at least the zip code of the problem…

I’ve confirmed that it’s related to using USB for midi while using for audio as well…

Here’s how I tested:

IPad Air 2 running latest ios 13

USB out of M:C into iPad using official CCK & official charger

Into AUM on ipad

Out of AUM back to M:C

Audio set to Int Out=OFF (thus only hear audio if USB audio is working correctly)

I set a pattern playing and let it run for like 3 hours… Audio kept working fine

Then I inserted a MIDI LFO sending pan & pitch to one track into AUM and routed it to M:C

After doing that, audio died within like 15 minutes…

2 Likes