Model:Cycles only music

I got the octatrack a 2 weeks ago, this is my first attempt at recording a jam with it. First and only take, it is raw, unmastered and straight out of the box. Also plenty of mistakes :slight_smile:

I am sending the M:C to a through machine on the OT. Kick, bass, stab and some percussion is from the M:C

3 Likes

Lots of Model Cycles on this Track:

13 Likes

Liking this.
Another good example of not sounding like model cycles. Excellent.

1 Like
5 Likes

It seems to have taken a bit longer than @Ess predicted (I’ll have to dig out that post later) but it does seem to be that people are finding ways to get some quite different sounds out of the M:C.

1 Like

Here is a quick experiment. I just wanted to see what it would sound like if I sampled some drum loops from the Cycles in my beloved Zoom Sampletrak.

I like it

4 Likes

Model:Cycles sequenced by Orca on Norns

Just my first try with Orca norns, a simple “random” techno :slight_smile:

4 Likes
4 Likes

Here’s a couple of beats. Both are sounds from the Cycles played on the Samples

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4V4op3-Od4

Digital reggae, 100% Model:Cycles running off a USB battery.

13 Likes

Love this style, very nice

Not sure what style you’d call it but

4 Likes

its not exclusively Cycles sounds bu i think this showcases how amazing the kick and tone machine can be on this device, by far my two most used machines.

Minimal Techno jam made with sampled audio from the Ruhr Museum in Germany, all samples are from natural materials and stone objects. Kick and bassline is synthesised on the Model:Cycles, and everything is arranged and mixed on the Octatrack.

7 Likes

pretty cool! has some “le petit prince records 90ˋs vibe” :totes:

1 Like

Thanks! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I recently played a live AV show with the M:C as only synth, with FX: AH, Space, H9 and Xone:96.

This is the line-out recording from the mixer, so no room sound is recorded on this. The mic’ed room sound is on the video here (also more project info): Amsterdam, tomorrow dec. 12th: presenting Cycles, a live AV act featuring - #20 by dtr

Note: this was mixed live for the very specific acoustics of the room. In a more regular room I’d likely mix differently, for example not have as much hard panning.

Obviously no techno in this project. I was going for down-tempo, droney, ambient-ish complementing the slow moving, minimalist light-scape.

When an abrupt transition occurs it 's because I had not prepared a pattern switch on the M:C well. Because of the kit-less save structure one has to be very conscious about doing smooth transitions. This is my only real gripe with the M:C. Apart from that it’s an awesome little box. Crazy what sounds come out of it. At first I doubted whether I should have gotten a DN instead but now it’s a keeper.

11 Likes

Here’s a video where I explore making digital cumbia using only the Model:Cycles

5 Likes

I quite like an abrupt transition from time to time.

Yes, but having the choice is nicer!

1 Like

Two folders of Model:Cycles only music (plus some EQ):

7 Likes