Screen Burn-In on newer Mk2 type displays

does elektron give support for this or one need pay?
+1 on the screen saver, the digitakt light dimming works just fine as well.

Hey Elektron, how about fixing some of the blatant issues your products have. Anyone interested in purchasing the fancy new black mk2 machines need not forget about the burn-in issues that still plague these mk2 units.

1 Like

The release of the fancy new black mk2 units remind me of one fatal flaw…

The burn in on all my MK2’s (OT, RYTM, A4 MK2) is getting worse by the day…

Dave Smith got it right with the tempest, screen shuts off after 5 mins of inactivity and does not come back on until a button is pressed. Midi clock or notes sent to the tempest while the screen saver is on does not reactivate the screen. The OLED on my 8 year old Tempest still looks new.

Elektron please put some proper screen savers with options on your OLED equipped machines.

Thanks.

2 Likes

do you have the latest OS on all those devices? it should turn off after I think five minutes of inactivity.

I have OT mk2, DN and AH mk2 that should all do this. one doesn’t. I think it’s the DN. so I may be guilty of not updating the OS myself…

Nope. It dims lightly after 5 minutes, but only turns off after 60 minutes. That’s way too long.

4 Likes

Same here, 60 mins is way too long. The screen could be on for 60 mins, turn off, and if you send clock or any midi to the unit, will reactivate and stay on for another 60 min interval.

I stand corrected!

curious, does the TE OP-1 dim? mine still looks brand new after 11 years (and I’m on a super old OS).

Absolutely agreed. I have substantial burn in on my A4 MK2.

Contrast this with Waldorf’s decision to allow the user to set their desired interval, going down to 1 minute of inactivity on the Iridium/ Quantum.

EDIT: Both MK2’s have developed rather dirty master output pots. I never experienced this (or any similar build related issues) on my MK1.

1 Like

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I hesitate to say anything regarding this issue because it is so frustrating and I don’t want to be an ass about it. I’ve written software for screensavers in the past, and I understand the quirks are frustrating, but the delay in solving this issue is downright negligent. To truly remedy the situation would be to replace the burned in screens on my devices, but I will settle for an OS update that updates the screensaver feature to implement some basic requirements, like not awakening the screen because I started the sequencer from an external midi source.

2 Likes

Theoretical it’s fine on the Iridium. But on mine the screen saver is not activated when something is plugged in to Midi-In (without sending a signal). Also switching the clock to internal does not help…Hope they’ll fix this

1 Like

Negligent is the perfect word.

I’m still under warranty on both, so I could send them in, but (as the issue hasn’t been resolved) I see no point in wasting that downtime + another screen, if the same thing is going to happen.

1 Like

Right, but it’s Waldorf’s intention to offer the user a variable screen-saver interval that goes down to a minute of inactivity. What you’re mentioning is a bug that should be addressed, shortly.

1 Like

Agreed!

Either way I’ll be sending mine in for new screens at some point before the end of the warranty period but I’m definitely not looking forward to being without 'em for so long.

1 Like

+2!

I’m not sure I see anything new with regard to the screens (or pads, tbh) of the black MK2’s. I might be misunderstanding you tho. :sweat_smile:

You’re right the screens are the same! :expressionless:

1 Like

missed a few a’s from your waaaay there ! - I also don’t get it, it’s a setting for folk who press play in song mode - the problem is that it’s easy to leave these on and get distracted, they should ideally be user configurable or simply dimming more earlier and doing a screensaver mode at 15-20mins tops

3 Likes

I just want to say thanks to all who have (and will) chimed in on this. I, myself, love Elektron as a company and wish nothing but the best for them. I believe it’s to their benefit (in the long run) to not shy away from stating concerns or dissatisfaction. :heart:

1 Like

On my new keyboard that has oleds I think it activates after only 5 minutes
and it is perfect and I don’t feel I have to worry about it ever…
I really do wish Elektron would improve this

1 Like

My only suggestion is that everyone who has burn-in should send theirs in for free warranty replacement.

Eventually, the costs will pile up and finally motivate them to write the 5 lines of code for a proper screen saver. (Like DSI’s).

But in the meantime, theres like one guy sitting in a room screwing screens into drum machines all day and I don’t think anyone knows or cares.

2 Likes