Screen Burn-In on newer Mk2 type displays

I have and they seem fine to just ship new screens or have the unit repaired under warranty.

2 Likes

Well… to be fair, this recent upgrade is pretty goddamn nice.

But I’m with you; I do wish they would address the screen issue. It seems like a trifle to solve for something as wasteful, cost-inefficient and deterring to potential new buyers as displays gradually degrading under normal use. If I’d known before I took the dive, it definitely would’ve put me off—not discounting how much I’ve since grown to love the Elektron workflow.

Even just being able to manually toggle the display on and off while the sound engine keeps running in the back would be a tremendous improvement. 'Could be something as simple as holding [yes] and [no] for two seconds — unlikely to happen by accident, but easy to perform deliberately with one hand as you switch your attention to another device for a while.

It is kinda weird they haven’t fixed this yet.

are there any heavy mk2 users that DON’T have this issue?

I think it’s pretty safe to assume we all have the issue and only that some may be more aware of it than others.

If anyone is wondering how their MK2 burn-in is doing, follow these steps to check:

1. Press and hold [FUNC] while powering on the unit
  2. Once you see the onscreen options press pattern [1] to enter test mode
  3. When in test mode Press and hold pattern [1] to illuminate the screen
  4. Voila! Observe OLED burn-in
  5. Post a comment in this thread and by the power of grayskull, together we will save these great machines
2 Likes

This is common issue. Happened to mine after a year of heavy use. You can get it replaced under warranty, but you will be out your OT for a couple weeks. I havent had the ability to be without it for that long, and too paranoid about it getting lost or damaged in the mail. I think it’s why the switched to the yellow screens on the Digis. Also apparently the MK1’s don’t have this issue.

2 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

of all the gear i have i dont think ive had screen issues , except maybe if they’re decades old lcd like old fm synths or yamaha/akai samplers.
seeing it on new mk2 gear is a bit weird.
one of my boxes has a weird small soft dot on it, but its a mk1 thing (cant remember if its octatrack ,rytm, analog4).

1 Like

This burn-in behavior only applies to the OLED screens they put in the 2017 - present MK2 units including the new black coloured models.

Just to clarify, this isn’t a glitch or a damaged screen, it’s simply showing the OLED pixels that are darker than others due to the burn-in phenomenon experienced on these OLED type displays that do not have proper protection features implemented.

2 Likes

The biggest problem is: the screensaver is not even working properly … I bet this has to do with the ultra sensitive knobs which are all the time triggering the LFO selection list (talking about the Digis though)

1 Like

I believe the screen dims after 5 mins then completely shuts off after an hour of inactivity. Touching anything or sending clock reactivates the screen. This is not a viable solution as the screen remains on with occasional use.

Solution:

1. User selectable dim amount and dim interval
  2. User selectable screen shutoff interval ~ 1 min - 1 hr
  3. Options for what reactivates the screen - button press, knob tweak, midi clock/transport, [FUNC] + [??]
  4. Ability to turn off screen indefinitely with [FUNC] + [??] until screen is reactivated with [FUNC] + [??]
  5. Option to invert screen colours to even out the damage as it accumulates over its lifespan

Apparently Elektron thinks this issue is fixed as you’ll find this at the top of this thread:
“predates a fix”

5 Likes

I think this was a mod who explained the new topic title … nothing to do with Elektron thinking it is fixed. They hopefully know about this and read from time to time in this forum.

1 Like

Fair enough, :crossed_fingers:

I stand corrected

Yes the digitone, digitone keys, digitakt and analog heat mk2 included. The burn-in may be less noticeable on the yellow OLEDs, nevertheless they’re all going to need some screensaver options for longevity.

3 Likes

Obviously this is big business for an enterprising person who can supply better screens to everyone, like the way people do with classic gear.

Soon enough, all these devices will be out of warranty, including mine which needs a second replacement now.

Anyone have any burn-in pics?

Every machine gets worse by the day…

2 Likes

I’d reach out to Elektron support regardless of if your boxes are under warranty or not. It can’t hurt to see what they say about it.

1 Like

So it’s been two years since the original OP and at least a year since the useless screensaver non-fix….

Has a real (working) fix been implemented by Elektron yet or are they still trying their best to ruin their otherwise excellent brand name?

3 Likes

No fix yet that I’m aware of.

1 Like