Screen Burn-In on newer Mk2 type displays

+1!!! the amount of time it takes for the screensaver to kick in is absurd. i think they were way too cautious about it being a problem during a live show or whatever. reduce the wait or give us options in the settings menu please!

6 Likes

It’s not saving the screen currently how it is…
It may only help if you completely forget to turn it off overnight or something…
My screens are getting worse by the week… my biggest and only gripe with elektron gear.
happening to my Mk2 trinty… the screens are deteriorating quickly over not even 1 year

2 Likes

We need two things:

1. Shorter wait time before the screen goes blank, the current wait doesn’t help much;
  2. An option to configure the screen in reverse mode, so the pixels that are normally on will be off, and the pixels that are normally off will be on. Using the device for a while on this mode will cure burn-in (at the expense of loosing brightness over time, but that’s unavoidable and at least this way it is evenly distributed on all pixels).
7 Likes

I do like the white on black OLED screens in the mkII but the longevity concerns me too.

I don’t really like to change my gear out too often and I can see me wanting to use the mkIIs for at least another decade, I never had any problems with mkI longevity so I hope that the same can be said of the mkIIs.

2 Likes

sadly the code - at least in the Digis - has a bug which sometimes prevents display sleep. It‘s really sad. Please implement inverting and an option to set sleep time

I don’t think I have ever seen my Digitakt go to sleep, how long is it supposed to take?.

1 Like

1h

1 Like

I’d love to know how widespread this is, and details like when the users got their mk2s (portions of serial number, even), what their average usage is, firmware version, things like that.

Well this sucks. I updated my octatrack and the screen saver function does not even work. I unplugged usb in case that was the problem. I don’t have mini in connected so it’s not that. Screen does not dim after 5 minutes. Why is this so difficult for elektron? I do have a digitakt and digit one and the function works on those.

Hello Geddon,

I’m sorry to hear that you also have screen problems with your Octatrack screen. On my Octatrack the “screen dim” after 5 minutes without activity, worked, but was useless to avoid the burn-on issue. Do you also have screen burn-in issues on Digitone and Digitakt ?

Regards

Note : on OT, the screen does not dim a lot.

1 Like

Yeah I found out that it works. It dims so little I didn’t notice at first. So it works but could definitely use some improvement. I don’t notice burn in but my octatrack mk2 is very new.

Any updates in the screen saver department? I can’t believe this is still an issue.

1 Like

Can there be an option to have a literal screen saver? Usually I know what I need to do with patterns/scenes/xfader. No need for the screen itself sometimes.

I like the idea of a negative mode (as a simpler option)!

1 Like

I sent an A4 for burn-in just today. I very much agree with the crowd.

I own several of the newer Elektron machines (DT, DN, A4, AH and OT), and with them all jelling so well together — yet individually requiring quite a bit of focused attention — some necessarily remain idle (especially AH), but never long enough for the screen saver to kick in. It’s just not very useful.

Something along the lines of “holding all four [arrow] keys down for a second turns the screen off until any key is pressed”, coupled with a brightness adjustment parameter in the Global Settings would do the trick nicely, I think. In a dark environment, the screen really doesn’t need to be as bright as it is to be legible.

Using inverted graphics could make for a nice ‘proper’ screen saver : one can imagine sweeping bands of white on black to black on white across the display after a set time of idleness (and that wouldn’t hinder reading the screen). Hell! If the person programming it is a little creative — and I don’t doubt these guys are! — the screen saver could even become part of Elektron’s brand, y’know! 'Could be linked to bpm, for instance.

From a business standpoint, with all the posts one can find regarding OLED burn plaguing MKII devices, I’m sure it’d be worth Elektron’s efforts to ensure the issue is solved. As it stands, three years is plenty of time for avid users to burn their screens a few times.

And with these machines otherwise being so goddamn amazing, it’s hard not to be avid, I’m sure we can all agree. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah man, wish they would give us better screen savers, it might save them money from people returning them… my new novation keyboard has 4 OLED screens and the screen savers work after a few minutes like it should, those screens will last forever…

Do you see any signs of burn in on the DT & DN? Mine are still perfect…
I think the yellow screens are much better and haven’t seen any complaints about them.

I would like to replace the mk2s with yellow screens and if they add better screen saver
I would never have to worry again

Oh man, great idea about a screensaver that is actually useful. I’d love to have an oscilloscope mode for the OT, just like the great oscilloscope in the Korg *logue family, easily switchable on and off with a key shortcut.

5 Likes

does elektron give support for this or one need pay?
+1 on the screen saver, the digitakt light dimming works just fine as well.

Hey Elektron, how about fixing some of the blatant issues your products have. Anyone interested in purchasing the fancy new black mk2 machines need not forget about the burn-in issues that still plague these mk2 units.

1 Like

The release of the fancy new black mk2 units remind me of one fatal flaw…

The burn in on all my MK2’s (OT, RYTM, A4 MK2) is getting worse by the day…

Dave Smith got it right with the tempest, screen shuts off after 5 mins of inactivity and does not come back on until a button is pressed. Midi clock or notes sent to the tempest while the screen saver is on does not reactivate the screen. The OLED on my 8 year old Tempest still looks new.

Elektron please put some proper screen savers with options on your OLED equipped machines.

Thanks.

2 Likes

do you have the latest OS on all those devices? it should turn off after I think five minutes of inactivity.

I have OT mk2, DN and AH mk2 that should all do this. one doesn’t. I think it’s the DN. so I may be guilty of not updating the OS myself…