Miserable git's general and non-specific (but very inclusive) whingeing thread - If you've got thoughts about stuff, I'm your guy

Someone watched the documentary lately!

2 Likes

sounds like the name of some crapcakes interview format PBS talkshow

2 Likes

That’s my podcast! Crab cakes interviews!

2 Likes

Or shit indie band

1 Like

one where the album is self-titled and the cover art features some obnoxious flamboyant cursive lettering and an abstract black and white photo they found at the thrift shop.

That’s possibly over here: The intoxicated hangout

2 Likes

Gee thanks. It was worth the visit for this comment alone….

:weary::sob::rofl:

3 Likes

There is currently a alt-right conspiracy theory laden conservative community group, that seems like it’s probably also a pyramid scheme, holding a meeting in the library’s meeting room right now. It just feels like such a lose-lose situation, the library is supposed to be for everyone, even far right wingnuts, and I really believe in that mission, but literally half of the staff of the library I work in is queer, so having a group using the services we are providing to spread hate about people like us stings a bit. Nothing I can do about it, and nothing I would do about it if I could, just a thing.

Sorry for bringing serious shit into the silly whingeing thread but sometimes hurling these things into the void is the best option.

19 Likes

Don’t let other peoples nonsense ruin your day! Sounds like a them problem!

2 Likes

If you’re able, try and focus on the fact that you’ll be there tomorrow, but they won’t. Letting it affect your day or how you handle your day could impact tomorrow and the day after, long after they’re gone. It’s really a bummer that freedom of speech and equal rights to jerks is a 2 way street, but hang in there.

4 Likes

Mate, Australia just had a referendum, to recognise 1st nations people in the constitution, and to give them a voice in parliment. ( just a voice, not political power)

It was a yes/no vote. More than half the country voted No.

Such a shame to know you’re surrounded by such people.

(I voted yes)

11 Likes

100%!!

Definitely an easier some days than others thing, but yeah this is what I try to do when this stuff pops up, I got plenty, good and bad, to distract me from this nonsense before long.

That is truly upsetting, I’m sorry to hear it.

Thanks for the responses ya’ll. This isn’t gonna drag my day down or anything, and it’s not even the worst example of this sort of thing happening in my place of work, but sometimes you just gotta rant about it a little. There is a really special cognitive dissonance to people using the free social service that is a library, to promote ideologies that don’t want to fund any kind of free social services.

6 Likes

Take it as an indication that their ideology is so outwardly offensive no one will back them financially, thus their only option is to resort to further hypocrisy in utilizing the very public services they’d like to remove. Perhaps it’s easier to think of it as a joke, like a car driving on 4 flat tires to save money on a tow, not even aware they’re doing irreparable damage to their own vehicle in the process.

5 Likes

The one thing you can always rely on in life.

Whenever I think I live in a dreadful country surrounded by arseholes I just pop a bit of Australian news on, then feel a bit better that I don’t live there anymore.

Fucking Jesus Christ’s arsehole these fuckers are an horrible bunch.

As for the old Ku Klux reading club, show them all the love they probably don’t deserve. Cunts like that know what to do with hostility, they can’t handle love.

6 Likes

Truth!!

Kill them with kindness is what I always say!!

1 Like

Then sodomise their corpses.

Is what I say…

2 Likes

Ha!! Exactly where I was going with that!

3 Likes

I feel the same way anytime I see English news, thank fuck I dont live there anymore. The media always paints the shittiest picture. Its what they do.

Despite the referendum result, the reality is, all the people I know voted yes, and only one of my clients voted no (of course everyone is talking about it)

About 20 years ago when i lived in Hastings UK, the big topic was asylum seekers, media was pumping out horror stories and the people were all pitch forks and burn the witch. And Asylum seekers made up less than 1% of the population… stealing our jobs? How exactly?

Anyway, back over to @Fin25 and his necrophelia special

5 Likes

Hasn’t changed.

Won’t change.

2 Likes

The last few posts here are reminding me that I’m not going to enjoy visiting my family for the holidays. They’re all far-right American evangelicals (and I mean that in every sense), and would likely have joined that ridiculous group in the library or voted no on the referendum in Australia. They speak openly of wanting people like me exiled/ imprisoned/ worse. It’s great.

On-topic: I’m so tired of seeing everyone’s hot takes and incessant whining about [insert new thing] across the internet. It’s so exhausting. Video games, music, television, so much of the “discourse” is just people shitting on things.

6 Likes