Miserable git's general and non-specific (but very inclusive) whingeing thread - If you've got thoughts about stuff, I'm your guy

You spelled irritating wrong

5 Likes

you spelled wankers wrong.

2 Likes

It’s very slow at work, and really, all I do is overthink. Which probably brings me back around to being on topic.

2 Likes

Actually it is. It just depends where in the world you live. Conversational styles vary greatly with geography.

In northern europe its totally acceptable to be quiet while someone else talks, then wait, consider your response, (if one is even needed) then you speak.

The USA (and also Australian) conversational style has no space in it at all, and people just talk over the top of each other.

Personally I find that rude. How can you really listen, if you are talking at the same time?

I grow increasingly tired of advise fillers such as ‘what you’re gunna wanna do is…’ instead of ‘do X’ . And, ‘so thats what I was saying, blah blah blah’ instead of ‘I agree’.

Speak less, listen more. There’s a reason we have 2 ears and one mouth.

10 Likes

Totally, really easy to forget that this is a really diverse online space and not just a reflection of my immediate physical surroundings.

4 Likes

that’s not true, sometimes we just punch each other.

3 Likes

We hired a new software developer at work. I was meeting with him today to discuss “common customer pain points.” He described my job to me and asked who would do this to themselves? It must be awful?

I think he was later looking for the phrase “job security” but it wasn’t coming, and I can see why. Capitalism = rough job + you’re doing it

4 Likes

People, including non-musicians and other non-artists, want and need to express themselves. If for some of them this involves a lot of words, it will be considered rude not to let them utter them. And maybe the apparently silent agreers are saying as much as the chatty ones and may not agree so much with what you are saying, but it requires a pair of eyes to hear them :wink:

1 Like

Ah, the ol’ youtube intro spiel.

“So without further ado, we’re gonna go right ahead and jump right in”

Stop telling me you’re not going to waste any more of my time while doing exactly that.

10 Likes

This.^^^^ I’m more tolerant of some YouTube jargon, but “jumping in” is just codswallop.

2 Likes

I hate when the really potent youtubers call it “the channel” when what they mean is “my channel”

“welcome back to the channel”, oh the channel, which channel? just say “my channel” we all know you don’t call it “the channel” when you try and use your channel as part of your bad pick up line at bars.

6 Likes

Its not even a channel.
Its an account with a url.

5 Likes

“welcome back to the channel, let’s jump in” is appropriate in exactly one context:

A YouTube account posting videos about swimming in the English Channel.

Nothing else.

11 Likes

welcome back to my penny bank, lets jump right in.

2 Likes

Hang on now, could be the Bristol channel, or any other number of small to medium bodies of sea water between two land masses.

5 Likes

I keep thinking I should have something funny to add to this thread but instead the upstairs bathtub drain pipe burst. Water ran down the exterior of the pipe inside the wall, down two floors and into the basement. We got a plumber out who called the water damage folks. Water damage dude set up dehumidifiers and air cleaners, and someone is going to come back today. They’re gonna have to do some demo work in both bathrooms and dry up the water damage before the plumber can do the fixes. Plumber said the previous owners set up the drain pipes for the bathtubs with out any ventilation, so that’s gonna be a whole thing once we get there. Two good pieces of news, insurance should end up paying for the majority of this all since it was the result of a burst pipe, and since the house and paperwork is in my partner’s name I don’t have to be the one to deal with the insurance people.

5 Likes

The house I grew up in had a really old school basement, not a modern basement, it was pretty much totally below ground. The dirt in the area is also like 90% natural clay or something ridiculous like that, it’s really hard and not very absorbent so I remember at least a few times as a kid when it would rain for more than a few days the basement would like, flood overnight. Like knee deep water flooding. So a bunch of stuff would once again be ruined and we had this “sump pump” that had to get set up down there with 2 garden hoses to channel the water from the basement out to the back yard.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your bad luck, that is not a funny thing you added to the thread but it stayed on topic brilliantly. Hope it all works out for the best, like you get some new gold plated bathtub drain pipes or they discover a cache of pizza hotpockets hidden in your wall.

2 Likes

I’d happily watch 99% of YouTubers floating out to sea, never to return.

I wouldn’t pay to watch it though.

3 Likes

OK boomer.

We are lucky to not have any serious flooding issues with the basement, just an area that gets a little wet if rains really hard for more than a couple days at a time. I don’t know if I’d trust hot pockets the water damage people found in the walls, but the pizza ones would be a best case scenario if they did find hot pockets.

1 Like