‎miRack, VCV rack ported to ipad

Wow. I’m honored, sir!

1 Like

How do the extra little features work? So for instance, if I ctrl drag a bunch of modules on desktop/windows, then it’ll move them all around to make space. If I right click a module, I can change some of its settings like the way it looks or its CV range.

Another patch :upside_down_face: marbles is the shit

6 Likes

I did the thing too

I made a drum machine patch using Mutable Marbles for sequencing. Used DivKid’s tutorials as a starting point, which are v helpful for all the Mutable modules.

Uploaded it to Patchstorage if anyone wants to try it out -

11 Likes

It’s stereo in iOS13.

3 Likes

Ahhhh damn, I’m on 12… I’ll update eventually

Just thought I’d give a shoutout to how good mirack is. Played with it recently for a good while and paired with OT it’s just wild. The iPad totally lends itself to this type of interface. I’ve tried software modular (vcvrack, reaktor) and I much prefer this. It’s also reinforced exactly how much I do not need to buy real modular gear, this is by far and away more than sufficient. more modules than I’d ever have a fraction of the time required to explore plus multiple copies of each. I can’t imagine what a bitch it would be having to constantly move round real modules and buy something new for a single idea.

In some ways it’s made me consider that real modular may actually be less modular. Once you build a system it’s limited to what you built it to do. Unless you want to constantly change it and have unlimited funds it’s arguably less flexible. This is a new system every time, plus you can save configurations + patches plus instant randomisation etc. Anyway enough preaching. Just wanted to say it’s a lot of fun. I still wouldn’t be completely averse to making a little lunchbox for particularly unique modules that don’t exist there but as far as utility goes I won’t ever need a full rack of gear

9 Likes

I agree mostly, still want that hardware case full of modules though :totes: :tongue:

1 Like

I agree to everything you said. I’m also really excited and user experience of this is really much better than all the other software modulars I tried thanks to the touchpad.
I also had 3U with many of the mutable modules + 0coast. While it was quite a lot of fun to patch with real cables , it’s very hard to design such a small rack in a way, that it’s balanced well. While patching I often thought, man I need this and that function, or I’d need three copies of this module etc. So I would have needed a larger system that gives you enough freedom. But then, it can get overwhelming quickly, and more important, crazy expensive. So I tried to balance the small system as well as I could, which means you don’t stop thinking about swapping modules all the time, wachting the latest super functional tiny hp modules etc…
That’s why I prefer semimodulars like the 0-coast. They come with restrictions obviously but are usually quite balanced.
Anyway, I really enjoy using three copies or more copies of marbles or stages if I need them :slight_smile: And saving larger patches and visit them back later, without the need to record everything immediately.

2 Likes

Exactly! It just gives you a level of freedom not nearly achievable for most in hardware. The zooming is great too, makes huge patches workable or even just using a single mutable module as an effect. This would be dope with an 0 coast or other small semi modular, assuming you can interface them from mirack

@TobySD I do see why people jump into it, I just think it’s amazing this fits onto this thin little pad. Imagine the 60s modular builders jumping to today and seeing it on my lap tweaking while I watch tv

2 Likes

Exactly, this is possible with VCV, not yet with MiRack. I do hope they add that soon. :thup:

1 Like

As someone who has no experience with modular and I’m using VCV rack and miRack as my first foray into this world, I agree 100%.

There have been plenty of times where I’m sending an LFO to the filter for instance. Then I realize the filter doesn’t have a knob for “depth” (for lack of a better word) of the LFO’s CV control. A lot do, but some don’t. So then I think “I guess I need a VCA now” and then I think “Wow this is kind of annoying, cause now I need three more LFOs and VCAs for more modulation” and then I think “…Oh I see why this stuff is very expensive in the real world.”

I’m still scratching my head when it comes to modular so I’m sure a lot of what I do is greatly inefficient, but that’s fine. I for the life of me can’t remember how the hell do set up an ADSR with a filter and it’s driving me nuts. Then other little things like…Well I know I’m pinging the ADSR with the gate from this sequencer, so why doesn’t it seem to be working on the filter like I want? Ugh. Tutorials online have proven useless. I just don’t get the signal flow of modular at all.

2 Likes

Would be a nice feature. Until then at least it’s got midi and audio in.

@GirTheRobot I feel that deeply man, I keep looking back at a drawing of a basic adsr patch pretty much every time I start. Then I’m like oh yeah and it all clicks and I keep building from there. Just saw a post confirming that an undo button is coming which will be a life saver

I think it’s just because not everything is labeled the same so it all becomes esoteric very quickly.

The basic VCV modules all make sense. V/Oct for pitch, Gate for gate, etc. But tons of modules have the same features and they don’t have the same names so I have to guess what’s what. Then when no sound is happening I have to assume I wired something incorrectly but just…idk.

I couldn’t get Interzone to make any sound the other day on miRack and just had no clue what the problem was. It was getting a gate from a sequencer, and it was getting V/oct from the sequencer, and the output was going directly into the mixer…Pretty sure I had the settings so the filter was open and the envelope was all good but nothing. It’s very frustrating.

Anyone have any tips for polyphony? I want to run a long, slow sequence of chords and I’m not sure how to go about it. Would I need four sequencers and four oscillators?

Also I like the grid sequencer from JW because it has a scale function (so your pitches and jumping around the octaves like crazy) and a key function so it’s all in key how you want it, but I want to play with other sequencers, yet they don’t have these functions. Is there any way I can tell these other sequencers to behave like the JW Grid?

mirack+lemur=power, this is madness. just scratching the surface and threw together a template for a 3 osc mono and its already amazing

5 Likes

Just an update in case you haven’t heard, Mirack was just updated with AUV3 support! Works as an instrument, effects and apparently even loads as a midi effect in AUM. Surprisingly light on CPU with multiple instances on my ‘18 iPad Pro,

The combination of Drambo and Mirack AUV3 in AUM is quickly turning into my dream modular groovebox playground.

3 Likes

The dev is very active , its impressive really :slight_smile:

TBH i dont need any other apps than Drambo, MI rack and AUM tough i have so many apps hehe.

very cool!
mirack is superb. I didn’t really get into drambo yet. Something about the UI I don‘t really like, not sure what exactly.