Minilogue XD Module

I like the slim look would look good with DT/DN in front.

1 Like

Would you rather have the module or keyboard if both end up being same price?

I wanted something small and self-enclosed so a keyboard, even with minikeys, was important to me. I dearly hope they fix the clicking multi oscillator soon though.

I have to go with the module even if its the same price for portability reasons. Which kinda sucks because now I have to wait for the module to become available in my local shops, which just got the keyboard version in.

OTOH I’m probably getting an RD808 and a craft synth 2.0 before the xd anyways… then nu:tekt and RD909 for Xmas :wink:

1 Like

Keyboard for me, even though I’m in the US and the module is not the same price as the keys here and costs less. Maybe some of you non-Americans can just buy one here if you come here for holidays or something. US Customs are a pain when you bring stuff into the US but they don’t care what you bring out of it - obviously though can’t help you regarding how your own country would manage stuff you try to bring back from the US

I’m willing to add the Minilogue xd to my Elektron setup (DN+DT). Would that be a good combo ? I mostly play techno and some synthwave too.

Sound-wise, it’ll add the analog synthesis options missing on the DN and DT. But it’s still a very new product and I just saw a bug reported on the arpeggiator. As with any new product, if you’re not in a hurry, observe what bugs come up and get fixed - and definitely try before buying if possible. Check the MIDI implementation too.

Despite what I said earlier, I might go for the module myself, and pair it with a Digitone Keys.

1 Like

Definitely needs thought. I want to put in more time using the Octatrack to sequence external gear first. The DN sequencer appears to be of a similar design as the OT’s - no surprise there.

I’d probably use the XD’s sequencer for modulating the internal synth, more than playing musical parts due to only 16 steps, though I did play a solo set by using just my viola, Octatrack, and Volca Keys, whose sequencer also has only 16 steps. I will likely use the DNK’s (I’ll change the acronym if the community settles on another) MIDI track(s) to sequence the XD but I won’t rule out using the XD’s sequencer to play musical parts instead of just modulation, or using the DNK’s keyboard to play the XD live while the DNK sequences its internal synth - unless I overlooked some weird limitation preventing the keyboard and sequencer from being used simultaneously.

As you may have guessed I finally started listening to DNK videos. Damn, I still like the DN sound. And the sequencer, despite lack of song mode, is still more capable than the XD’s and I’ve got the OT’s Arranger mode to serve as “song mode”. The XD Module’s mini-keyboard function will also be useful in this setup, if only for quick sound previews while the DNK is busy, and stuff like that. At least both synths have their own FX so I don’t have to think about buying a 2nd Zoia just for them… yet… lol

1 Like

I’ve played with variations of Octatrack + 1 synth for simplicity - the synth spot in my rig being taken by Bassbot TT-303 or Volca Keys. But the last several months have been occupied by reworking my band rig - new amp, new signal routing ideas, etc. - the rig that I use to play electric violin parts and noise with the band. The last major change was the emergency replacement the OT with 3 units - Headrush E2 looper, OP-1, Eventide H9 - all of which I already had, so no new shopping spree needed.

Thus, the evolution of my solo music rig has been slowed down but it’s still ongoing - reviving the OT, looking for a new hardcase to replace the one that was beat up by the trip to play the Psycho Las Vegas - “oh, THAT’s why people pay money for ATA cases when traveling by airline!” - etc. Before the Minilogue XD was announced and released, I was putting together a Volca workstation around the Volca Mix for solo electronic music explorations.

1 Like

This just showed up for pre-order with a June 23rd release date. It is listed at 60,550 yen (550 usd) compared to 55,500 yen (500 usd) for the keyboard version. Weird that removing the keyboard makes it MORE expensive… Maybe I should just get they keyboard version, but like the form factor. Decisions.

The price can make sense if Korg are expecting to sell less units in module form, which means it has a higher break-even cost threshold. The keyboard and number of expected sales is already built into the existing RRP. The module version whilst having less components, may sell far less units (by Korg estimates). This pushed the cost per unit price up. If module version exceeds expectations on units sold you might see the price drop once break-even unit sold is reached, in some time in the future.

Are you sure about that? Considering how little R&D the desktop involved, I’d imagine kord requiring much less for covering their costs. Even the retooling required for the module version might have been minimal.

If we end up having to pay more for the desktop version, getting at least a decksaver on top of the deal would make me happy. Seems a bit unfair that you have to pay more for less.

It makes sense if the price for the keyboard version was already priced with low profit margin and if they have been treated and calculated as different models. But it’s just analytical speculation based on product accounting and pricing methods, I have no insider proof to tell you with 100% certainty, only Korg could.

I also do not have any details as to how they would spread their R&D costs, they might split it 50-50 across each model which would still fit the theory of less units sold expected for module vs keyboard.

Mmmm
This makes NO sence any way you slice it?
Less components, less cost…surely…
Could adding a keybed be zero cost?
Maybe its a game so that the keyboard version isnt in competition with the desktop? But if a DN keys is 100% more than a DN, then how is Korg arriving at 0% more for the key version than a desktop? Something smells fishy…the expected sales would have been factored in most definitely. But if the outcome looked identical to the current product, there would be zero motivation to manufacture a different product at all.???

Perhaps Korg is aiming at people who are ready to pay an extra for a module synth format ?

Less components, less cost yes, but lower units sales, lower profit always holds true (unless the unit price is set higher to offset).

I dont think Korg is conpiring against their cuatomers.

It’s not so much a conspiracy, I don’t know why people find it hard to believe a company will charge more simply because they can. They don’t give a shit they’re a business, it is what it is

2 Likes

They were bored and wanted to read bizarre things on music forums.

Each XD device is made as keyboard then they pay someone to saw off the keyboard and repackage it . They’re fined £1 for each white key thrown away , £2 for each black key as there are less of them and are made darker by unicorns licking them.

The price is high to incentivise the purchase of they keyboard one / make up for unsold stock for non xd version and slower sales on monologue vs incoming monologue xd (presumably )

Or , the price is the price , pay it or don’t.

1 Like

Can’t agree more with “the price is the price, pay it or don’t”.

Most people think audio gear companies are so left-winged and trying to cater for the best interest of the customer. Get real people! This is a business and even worse it’s a manufacturing business for physical products. Making audio gear is times worse and unpredictable than making software these days, you’re dealing with suppliers, lack of them, shipping, warehousing, and unstable income while steady expenses outflow.

This is an old school business model compared to subscription netflix type of steady revenue. Basic economics apply for manufacturing demand, supply and unsteady income. Most of the time audio companies spend too much time in RnD to bring a great product to market only to find out Boog is getting their business or market. And don’t forget the dealers, dealers are very difficult bunch to keep on track.

My point is you’re discussing a $150 while this is your beer money for the month or shed on bars. You’re not buying a $50,000 car or a house, if you need the gear to make music then get it and MAKE MUSIC, why overthinking it on forums? Are $150 going to make you poorer?

The price is what the market will pay, if it’s wrong they will cut it down to move sales, pay salaries, pay shipping costs, pay for RMAs and also RnD next product.

Sorry to say but this is a 1960s manufacturing business economics and that’s it.

10 Likes