Minilogue XD Module

GAS Warning!

Good video. Daniel Fisher from Sweetwater actually demonstrates polychainiing in the video. The polychaining looks to be pretty special beyond what you might expect. (I gotta look at a manual.) Fisher then splits the keyboard and play the two minilogues separately too. I want two too – that’s great versatility.

You can play the buttons like a keyboard too.

And he’s right i’m glad they kept the joystick.

BTW: the cool keyboard the Fisher uses is a Studiologic Numacompact which is only $500 - which would be fine for just a controller but it has sounds too.

EDIT: pulled up a better picture with more contrast.

5 Likes

I think I’d rather two of these than a Prologue 8. Hmm! Also

Shows a bit of thought- they didn’t just hack the keyboard off and say “done”

1 Like

Looks really cool. I had the minilogue, but always felt the 4 voices was a bit limiting. Two of these would be awesome.

Can’t help but feel that the studiologic keyboard is poorly named :smiley:

You can use a keyboard minilogue with this one together and use the polychaining so no need to sell a Minilogue XD keyboard to add this.

I don’t know if this all applies to a standard Minilogue (the non XD sort) or the Pologues either.

I always like how Korg builds families of devices.

ADDED:
From the Korg page:

Poly chain support

The minilogue xd module can be used in conjunction with another unit (*2) in the minilogue xd series (*1) for poly assignment settings. Specify one unit as the master and the other as the slave, and they will play as an eight-voice polyphonic synthesizer (*3). This supports a variety of uses, such as a voice-expansion module for the minilogue xd or as a sound module for a DAW-based production system.

*1: For keyboard-equipped models, supported in system ver. 1.10 or later.
*2: Any combination of the xd and xd module can be used.
*3: The two xd units can each play four voices, for a maximum total of eight voices. The master unit takes priority for producing notes, and the fifth and subsequent voices are assigned to the slave unit.

So i take it that polychaining is only for xd units.

5 Likes

We are spoiled at the moment. Truly.

3 Likes

Nice demo by Fisher and nice explanation of the polychaining.

Having only one LFO is a valid concern. If you care very deeply and are willing to spend more than $620 US, there are a bunch of options out there for analog and hybrid polysynths that can offer more LFOs.

That said, it seems possible to add a 2nd LFO via the user oscillator, if you are ok with the 2nd LFO being digital. For example, 2 of the 3 3rd party oscillators offered by SineVibes for the XD advertises the inclusion of an “internal LFO”. https://www.sinevibes.com/korg/

Having a 19inch rack format is helpful because it is a standardized format, so you don’t need specific stands for each of your synth. Also, depending on your synth dimensions you can stack them easily with only one rackstand, like the following :

It’s a shame that rackable gear is not a standard anymore. The desktop prophet rev2 suffers from the same problem. What is worse is that the dimensions are really close to being rackable but just a tad too big.

4 Likes

It does have 2 CV ins on the back.

Minilogue%20xd%20Back

ADDED: From the manual the CV ins can be assigned to the following:
GATE TIME
PORTAMENTO
VOICE MODE DEPTH
VCO1 PITCH
VCO1 SHAPE
VCO2 PITCH
VCO2 SHAPE
CROSS MOD
MULTI SHAPE
VCO1 LEVEL
VCO2 LEVEL
MULTI LEVEL
CUTOFF
RESONANCE
A.EG ATTACK
A.EG DECAY
A.EG SUSTAIN
A.EG RELEASE
EG ATTACK
EG DECAY
EG INT
LFO RATE
LFO INT
MOD TIME
MOD DEPTH
REVERB TIME
REVERB DEPTH
DELAY TIME
DELAY TIME

2 Likes

Right, the CV in is useful for adding more modulation options, and presumably MIDI In as well. Then there’s the sequencer with up to 4 tracks of motion sequencing.

1 Like

I really like the keyboard of the Minilogue. It’s compact, but significantly bigger than the usual minikeys and it has a good response. I can play with it as well as with normal sized keys.

2 Likes

Just saw this… Wasn’t interested in the XD but now… now?

4 Likes

Would be fun if there was audio in to run external gear through filter and those new fx. Like maybe use a small modular as 2 additional LFO’s via CV, run a modular voice through XD’s fx, use the XD’s sequencer as well. Or just a nice little poly buddy for a small modular setup.

I was looking to see if the xd Module had audio in on the back, that’s how i found the CV ins. It doesn’t – BUT:

The NEW Korg Nu:Tekt does have audio in and so you could do what you are talking about with that. It should be really inexpensive too. It might make a lot of sense to combine the Nu:Tekt with the xd Module since they run the same digital programs.

1 Like

Yeah, that Nu:Tekt is very interesting. Could be used as a neat little fx box. Really digging the idea of loading different algos on it.

To be clear – the Nu:Tekt thing is only the digital effects part from the XD not the Multiengine.

ADDED: This is wrong.

Oh, that’s too bad. I thought I saw in some video where they said you could load in a single 3rd party osc + fx.

If we’re thinking of the same video, I believe Etienne was careful to state it does just what you say above, but it does not include the full MultiEngine.

1 Like

I think you are right and i am wrong. It has both parts. I dont know - OBVIOUSLY.

Okay, that’s cool then. Should be a neat little chameleon device. Just load up whatever you want and go. Or have multiple boxes!

1 Like

What a beauty.