Midi-loop-solution for unwanted noises after pattern-changes (different delay-/reverb-settings)

Hey,

I had a problem with unwanted noises, which appear after a pattern-change, when in pattern 1 and pattern 2 the delay and reverb settings are different. Then in the moment, when the first trig in pattern 2 is played and when there is still a sound of pattern 1 in the effect-channel, the sound from pattern 1 continues to play with the delay and reverb settings of pattern 2. The result are these unwanted noises, which can not be set silent with the sequencer. And I don’t want to set the effects silent and loud again by hand in the delay-/reverb-menu, so I searched for a different solution. And I found a solution and I want to present it to you with its possibilities and restrictions:

The first step is to connect the midi in and midi out port of the digitakt with a midi-wire. Then in the midi menu, go into the sync menu and set hooks at “prog ch recieve” and “prog ch send”. In the port config menu set param output to “cc” and set a hook at “recieve cc/nrpn”.

Foray: Should you set a hook at “recieve notes” at port config in the midi menu? You have to make a hook, if you have a midi merger and you want to use a keyboard to control the first 8 tracks of the digitakt. You need the midi merger to connect the keyboard and the midi out of the digitakt with the midi in of the digitakt. But then it is important, that you don’t produce midi-signal-loops, because the result would be, that you loose any control, the digitakt wouldn’t react to any input while playing the actual pattern until you turn the maschine off.

The easiest way how to prevent midi-signal-loops is: Don’t assign a midi-channel to any track, that sends midi notes, in the channels menu of the midi menu (vallue “no”). Why do I draw attention to that? I setted midi track B to send notes (CHAN-parameter at SRC-page) and recieve notes (channels menu in midi menu) to midi channel 10, because I had connected a keyboard to the midi in of the digitakt and a synth to the midi out of the digitakt. So I could play the synth with the keyboard. In the moment i used the hardware midi loop with a pattern with the explained coniguration, my digitakt hangs up after some bars, because of the signal-loop.

The solution to use another midi device and a keyboard to control the first 8 tracks of digitakt and the other midi device is a combination of midi merger and midi spliter. There’s one thing you can’t do anymore with this hardware setting and the software settings, that are explained above: live recording of track A - H, because you didn’t set it to recieve and send notes… (ok, you could use differnent midi-channel to recieve notes and to send notes… but that is the last tipp in the foray, think of consequences alone ; )

Back to the settings that have to be done: I cant say which of the following setting are needed exactly, but I set in the channel menu the “fx control ch”, the “prog chg in ch”, the “prog chg out ch” and 3 midi channels (in my example channel F for the delay, channel G or the reverb and channel H for the compressor) to an unused channel (in my example channel 9). And then I set in the source menu of F, G and H the CHAN-parameter (knob A) to channel 9 by holding FUNC and pressing knob A followed by turn knob A to the value 9. Do you see the possibilities already? Now you are prepared to control delay, reverb and compressor settings by the knobs of track F, G and H.

What are the next steps? Set in the cc select menu (AMP) of midi channel F, G and H the right cc-channels to control the reverb- /delay- /compressor-parammeters. You can find the cc-channels a the end of the digitakt-manual (https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Digitakt-User-Manual_ENG.pdf). For the compressor there are no channels specified, but the dry/wet-setting is controlled by #118 (I dont need more control of the compressor, thats why in reality I use only midi-channel G to control delay-parameters and midi-channel H to control the 7 reverb-parameters and the dry/wet-parameter of the compressor with the 8 knobs of the digitakt). Now you can control the parameters you specified in the cc select menu (AMP) in the cc value menu (FLTR), after you have activated the knobs by holding down FUNC and pressing a knob in the cc value menu (FLTR). Now you are prepared to control delay, reverb and compressor settings by trigs in the sequencer:

Press any TRIG in the record mode to activate this trig (Better: FUNC + any TRIG! Because you don’t need to send a note). Hold down the trig you activated and simply turn one of the knobs. The result is that the sequencer sets the selected parameter to your desired value, when the sequencer is playing and is at the trig you used. Or you control any configured parameter with the LFO of the midi channel…

And now the real magic: To remove the unwanted noises at the beginning of a pattern (and only at the first loop, when you play the pattern more then on time): Press FUNC and the first trig of your pattern in the record mode in channel F (delay in my example), then hold down the first trig and set the feedback of the delay (cc #88) to zero, then hold down the first trig and set the trig condition in the TRIG menu to “1st”. Now do the same with for example trig number 5 of your pattern, but set the feedback to the value, you want to use in the pattern. It’s done: no more unwanted noises when you make a pattern-change to the prepared pattern, no need to change parameters of the delay by hand and the delay will play smoothly through the loops, if you play the pattern multiple times.

Last tipp: You don’t have to do all these settings for each pattern by hand: use AMP + copy and AMP + paste, FLTR + copy and FLTR + paste and so on to copy your settings trough you patterns.

I hope, this could help you and you enjoyed the information I collected and brought togeteher to this solution of the problem.

best regards

2 Likes