Midi controller for OT

Octatrack is the only Elektron box, that can send a parameter dump to a controller. So if you have a controller with endless rotary encoders and/or motor faders, you can map a button to CC61, OT will send all current parameters and the controller will update all values accordingly. After part change/bank change on OT, hit the button and all values are updated.
That’s pretty much the reason why I still prefer to use my old BCR2000. It also has lots of knobs and buttons. I can also turn knobs on OT and the controller changes its value as well. No parameter jumps.

I like potentiometers much more for tweaking stuff (you don’t have to check the controller what’s hapoening, you can feel with your hand what you’re doing) like the Faderfox PC4 for example, but having parameter feedback from OT on the BCR2k is great.

4 Likes

Maybe another option : the K-Mix console for Keith McMillen.

It’s an audio interface, a digital audio mixer and and a control surface at once.

a digital audio mixer and control surface can be very usefull in a setup with and Octatrack and other gear. It may be a way to mix the other gear before it comes to Octatrack inputs or to mix Octa + other gear to send to a PA or to FOH mixer.

I have not precisely studied how it wan work as both an audio mixer and a control surface at the same time, but knowing a few about Keith McMillen products (I how a smart and powerfull QuNexus and had thought about buying a QuNeo), I don’t worry about that.

It may be an expensive solution : the K-Mix costs 600 $ and you have to add the 63$ MIDI expander to use it with Octatrack (no MIDI output on the KMix, only some USB), but it may be a choice if you also need an audio mixer and you have and audio interface as a bonus.
Great if you have a computer in you setup.

The 8 inputs and 6 outputs and on-board presets even may allow a kind of patchbay function allowing to send some gear to Octatrack inputs or direct to FOH depending on the tune you play, use Octa CUE outputs as separate outputs in studio mode as the KMix has it’s own cuing system, and so on.

So more than a controller, it may be a huge extension of dawless or hybrid setup. Worth to think about imho.

The huge cons I see is the lack of true knobs : as on every KMI controller, they are replaced by (silicon ?) sensitive round surface that allow much more controls than a simple pot, but give a different feeling. Not the most appropriated to control a filter cutoff or things like this, imho.
But the major cons is that everything is “tactile” so you have to watch what you do. You can’t old a knob for tweaking a parameter on the Kmix while you’re olding another one on another device.

Disclaimer : I don’t own one and have not dig the documentation, so all what I wrote is theory as long as you haven’t checked it yourself.

I’m still ultra pleased with my MIDI Fighter Twister.
I don’t do the bidirectional thing with it, because I prefer to just dedicate the parameters I control with the Twister to the Twister. But, still, it’s super ideal for levels, EQs, FX sends.
The little touches and customizations are where it’s at. The ability to adjust the color of the LED bars, behavior of the indicators, functionality of pressing the encoders down (I use these to reset EQs to the center “detent” a lot). And if that’s not enough, it uses Chroma caps, so you can just get different colored knobs for it as well.

It requires a USB MIDI host, but those are only $35-$40 these days (search the forum for more info on that subject).

Sometimes I consider getting a second one, as it has been so useful for me.

5 Likes

I enjoy what I’ve able to do with the Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3 so far - the custom mapping potential is great and you can flick through 8 custom settings super-fast. I have a template that is essentially just 8 (velocity-sensitive!) volume faders, one for playing 64 sounds in slots and one for a track that is normally assigned to breaks with 16 pads to play slices 4x fx/pitch/sample controls

1 Like

Still very happy with the Faderfox UC4.

3 Likes

Faderfox PC4 - dedicated knob/function expansion here

Welp those are great! Actually, this seems like the ultimate solution:
Faderfox MX12
And for that price, it’s cheaper than 3 UC4s

4 Likes

I use a Doepfer Drehbank to control my dual Octatrack setup. It has 64 assignable knobs that can send midi cc and NRPN messages to your devices, like controlling the FX channel on the Analog Four. My favourite feature is that you can program the knobs to turn in increments of your choosing, so for example a delay time knob is always changing by multiples of 8 values each time which means I’m always in sync to the master tempo.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a Midi Mixer One with my octatrack and it is pretty much perfect for my needs at the moment. I’ll be adding a pirate midi foot pedal as soon as they start shipping as well.

7 Likes

This looks sweet!

1 Like

Thanks! Great open source project. I modified the front and rear panel to be a little shorter and added the labeling for the rows + columns.

Side note: If anyone wants to build one, I’ve got a ton of extra key caps that are yours for the price of shipping.

2 Likes

I have a Launchpad Mini MkIII and a Midi Fighter Twister coming my way. This should cater for about every midi remote control duty I have decided I’d need. The footprint-to-ControlsAtFingertips ratio is very good …

1 Like

whoah that looks awesome!

1 Like

OT template for LP Mini MkIII by @darenager

:point_down:

2 Likes

If you’re going for a beatstep, go for the beatstep pro.

1 Like

hi everyone
just finished my pure data patch for novation launchpad mini mk1
it turns launchpad mini mk1 into mute,solo,cue,crossfader,scene,and program change controler in one page of 64 knobs
i am running it on mac now but my goal is to run it on raspberry pi so it will be as stand alone!
anyone interested to check the patch?

6 Likes