MIDI clock + midi thru? Possible?

OK, I understand the “no external seq” stuff…

How can I solve this:

I am now the proud owner of a DSI Evolver. Obviously it has it’s own insane sequencer, so all I need from the AR is clock, maybe trasport, havent dug in enough yet to see if DSI will act on it… BUT!!! I also need to route a keyboard/drum pads THRU the AR.

It seems that the AR only “thru’s” midi notes via the actual midi thru port. But as far as I can tell, no clock is going out the midi thru port…

Can anyone help me figure out how to get both clock sync AND midi thru working at the same time?

The DSI Evolver only has one MIDI in port…

Keyboard [midi out] > [midi in]DrumKat[midi out (merged keyboard+internal)] > [midi in]AR[midi out or thru (notes+clock)] > [midi in]Evolver

How?

I get midi clock from the AR from the through port - but i think that is because he gets midi clock from the input.
If you use the AR out - you could set the midi port to send clock in the global options.

Anything going to the MIDI IN on the Rytm needs to be sending clock if you want it to come out of the THRU port, this is just standard MIDI workings. Sending USB clock to the Rytm will not present clock at the THRU port either, only DIN.

Hmmm… You must have something on MIDI in that’s sending clock?

OK, for my purposes I managed to rig up a solution… But it would be nice if Elektron could made a more robust solution internally. (i.e. clock/transport to thru/out/both/none)

Anyway…

In case it helps someone else…

On my Alternate Mode Drum Kat (original model… Vintage baby!) it has a R and L midi input and 2x R and L midi outputs. It also has a REALLY nice internal MIDI routing (god I miss ol’ timey synths from manufacturers that still cared about MIDI).

I’ve got keyboard into Kat’s Left midi in
AR’s MIDI out into Kat’s Right midi in

All this gets blended into midi sausage with Kat’s own triggers and…

Right midi in is ONLY sending clock to Right out
Left midi in is sending everything BUT clock (in case some day I connect something with a clock and ferget to modify settings… Not that I would ever do something that stupid) to Right out

So far nothing is emitting smoke, so I don’t think there’s a feedback loop anywhere and I can control DSI’s seq tempo+transport via the AR.

I was really worried there may be some kind of active sensing or something that would feedback, but it doesn’t seem to be.

You mean re-invent standards :wink: it’s hardly fair to call it out us not being robust already - if you want to merge two data streams (the Clock at your AR Out and the Combined activity from the Thru ) then you need to use a MIDI merge … merging is not a trivial thing to do well, that’s why manufacturers don’t just throw extra ports on

Keep in mind the Evolver is another brainchild of the guy who part developed the midi standard, you can no more beat up on him (for shortcomings) nor Elektron for not making your situation easier to wire up - you have a complicated chain, it’s time to explore MIDI mergers or flexible programmable midi patch bays which allow all sorts of plumbing … these were very spendy devices when new but can be found cheap … i’m talking about 8x8 19" rack stuff from MOTU Emagic Apple etc - there’s a thread discussing this were folks find these things very cheap (driver support needs to be researched obviously) :okej:

1 Like