MFB Tanzbär 2

Adam was there an audio in for this machine just in case I want to use external audio for the SSI filter? What kind of filter was the SSI? Was there built in distortion?

Can it midi sequence all my other gear? :diddly:

Hey,
You know what, I can’t bloody remember. I’m pretty sure not. The manual was in German so there may have been things that I hadn’t picked up on but I don’t recall being able to.

1 Like

It has 2 MIDI tracks for sequencing external gear which includes note information.

It doesnt have an audio in from looking at the plug holes at the back but other than that i dont know. It definitely hasnt been mentioned if it has. Imo EVERYTHING should have an audio in!

1 Like

This site has the most detailed break down of the features ive found anywhere:

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/mfb-tanzbar-2.html

Including this about the sequencer: ‘The sequencer not only contains tracks for all internal voices, but two MIDI channels as well. Here, besides notes, you can also program CC values. Thus, external equipment is controllable as comfortably as the internal synthesis circuits. In a synchronized MIDI setup, the Tanzbär 2 may be used as master or slave.’

2 Likes

One last question. Was kick 1 like 808 and kick 2 like 909? Or is it a different kind of analog kick altogether ?

I found the kicks to be 909 in flavour, especially kick 1. The device as a whole felt very 909 which is good with me; I’m a fan of that tone.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me! Are you considering it @v00d00ppl ?

I am. I saw the used one on musicstore.de . The blue and wood panels are exciting to me. I was planning on hooking up my MPD232 to it as a live electronic drum set.

Without the app I can’t upload my samples yet right ?

Im not sure about the app. From what I can gather the app isnt available yet but I dont know for sure.

1 Like

yea you can up load samples just go to to German sine of the mfb site and down load the stuff for tanzbar 2. its all in German but it so easy to follow. you can upload the OS their too.

sample upload uses the usb and has a program to up load just add your sample and your good to go. dont know what the sample limit is on length though

for os up load you the midi and it to has a software loader. to enter OS mode hold down the 3 &4 data bottons( in the upper right ) then power up. from their is should go into os update mode. the tanzbar 2 gearslutz thread has links newer os to down load.

2 Likes

New video up today

Unfortunately its just more of the same - terrible patterns with aimless tweaking. Dont get me wrong i appreciate the video being made but its kills me because i feel like i could get a totally different sound out of this thing and really make it sing!

2 Likes

Imagine if you map out mpc drum pads or v drum pads to this bad boy. Write the loop and just make light tweaks. Set it then forget it.

I was watching 808 the movie and they said that’s how Marvin Gaye did the drums on sexual healing. He set the parameters and stuck to it days on end until he got the drums right.

I only had an mk I but I had a bunch of fun manually tuning the toms and kicks and playing around the nearly endless decays. the kick on the mkI needed a bunch of bend added, in order to get angrier and it had some drive as well built in, which was awesome. I often routed it through the filters of the AK and it added a lot to it. Using some midi cc from digitakt (midi lfo) also made the hi-hat/ride grooves much lively.

I never got into the synth voices as they had no dedicated levels, just seemed way too basic.

once its recorded and you add some master to it… it takes any roof off.

2 Likes

I just got one of these. So far, I’m digging it more than the Alpha Base. The Tanbär 2 is a super quirky, fun groovebox, and is much more intuitive than the Tanzmaus.

The kick isn’t as punchy, but layering samples really helps. I like the snares, and the analog filters/envelopes sound awesome imo. The build quality is noticeably better than the Tanzmaus too. I’m really pleased with this one. It’s really fun.

3 Likes

By the looks of gearslutz thread you’re very lucky that the build quality is good on yours… one guys T2 showed up missimg two knobs lol

Im still waiting for mine it feels like ive grown into a different person in the time simce i actually ordered it. I just really hope i get a good specimin when it does arrive

Knock on wood… I’ve had issues with MFB build in the past; maybe that’s why I’m so pleased this time. Also, I really like the little screen; it helps the UI a lot imo. Really dig the LFOs too. MFB have come a long way.

2 Likes

I love MFB… and used to own both the Tanzbar and AB using them together for a good year almost.

I ended up getting rid of the Tanzbar despite really enjoying the organic, almost woody, tones and that wonderfully deep kick.

To my ears the output sounded too muddy and I needed to use the seperate outputs to address the issue. In fact I borrowed a friends to check whether mine was faulty and it was the same.

Also - the volume knobs were not linear in output volume and I found the machine to be overall too quiet… the AB is a monster in sound dynamics… different sound for sure but if you know how to program it, it can sound unbelievable and far more versatile because of more modulation aources.

Nonetheless, I’ve been eyeing up a T2 for some time and will probably get one as I am a big fan of MFBs sound. I am hoping they have improved the build quality and addressed the legacy issues.

Being impartial as I own or have owned most drum machines at the same time, I will say the Jomox AB is pretty much bug free and built to better standards than the elektron boxes and far better build quality than MFB (contrary to what has been mentioned earlier in the thread).

1 Like

I ordered my TB2 yesterday morning. Thomann shipped it via UPS without me asking them to. The expected delivery date is the 28th which would be 3 days from Germany to Virginia. The tracking info says its cleared customs already. Is this even possible? 3 days? That’s amazing. We’ll see. How long did yours take to ship to the US?

1 Like

So after 3 months of waiting I finally got mine today. Now I’ve played around with it I’m pretty distraught at how limited the sound sculpting capabilities are. I thought the snares would be amazing but they really aren’t. Snare one is essentially useless. toms are useless… all the parameters do next to nothing. the kicks have a lot of weight but the parameters, like on everything else, aren’t particularly helpful at all for creating a kick sound.

am I overreacting??? does anybody still have one of these?

2 Likes