MFB Tanzbär 2

You’re overreacting. I love mine

3 Likes

Are you sample importing at all ?

1 Like

I love how samples sound with the TB2’s analog filters and envelopes; I prefer them to the RYTM’s. I think it stores the perfect amount of samples, and I love how quick it is to access them by pressing the sample button and one of the 16 buttons for each bank.

2 Likes

i like it so much i just bought a second one. Yea it dosnt have as much sound manipulation as the rytm but it sounds great. I think its rather very bassy so that dose make it harder to mix . The samples do sound great better then rytm in the mix. Not sure why but it dose.

For people that like tons of sound sculpting this may not work as well. for more vartion try the lfo use it as a second envlope . I also save voice 3 for mixing in with the kicks and toms so i can more variation.

I haven’t used it in a club yet but pretty sure it will kill.

2 Likes

Then I must have something really wrong because I have never come across a drum machine that imo would be worse in a club. Yes it sounds really nice in isolation… the sounds are very soft and pure. This doesn’t translate to them being useful as drum sounds in a track at all.

kick drum 1 has a pitch decay amount knob but it seems you cant change the speed of the slope. the decay is really really slow so you cant get any punch out of it it just sounds like a flabby tom???

The low tom sounds the most like a decent kick on the whole machine which is crazy. The low tom has a pitch decay amount (1-16) which doesn’t change the sound at all

kick 2 has a pitch decay amount (1-16) which also inexplicably does nothing. there is no mid to high frequency content in it at all which makes it useless

snare 1 is just a really thin slice of useless noise. snare 2 also is terrible

what’s heartbreaking about this is that with these paramaters you should be able to shape a whole host of great sounds but they all don’t really do anything. a volca kick has pretty much identical parameters and is amazing for kicks and you can get all different sounds out of it. you guys must know what I mean?

1 Like

It’s probably just not for you I guess. I’m quite pleased with the sounds I’m getting. I did load up a bunch of transient samples in the VOICE banks, which have the analog filters.

A bit of layering with transient samples is giving me a sound I really like. I’ve owned the RYTM and Jomox Alpha Base before; I prefer the TB2 over both.

I don’t have any problem crafting punchy sounds. Also, I think it offers plenty of sound manipulation capabilities for a drum machine. I value the character imparted by the analog filters and envelopes quite a bit. I like how samples sound coming out of the TB2 more than the Digitakt.

5 Likes

Yea i do exactly what prints dose with the voices and kicks if i want more punch

I also find the low tom a geat kick as well. I think of it as a third kick voice.

One other trick is to use one of the other tom voices as a transient on the kicks. I just adjust to a short decay with pitch decay and amount. you have to use both data 3 an 4 buttons to adjust the toms pitch decay.

I do wish i could adjust the pitch decay of kick one more.

3 Likes

If you wanted sculpting I think you’d have been better of with a Rytm. I love the TB2 but I bought it for it’s sound and I all I knew of that was what I heard in demos. It’s definitely not good for sculpting the analog parts, but you can add samples. I think the Toms sound awesome, I think they’re one of the best things about it.

You’re not wrong about a lot of those points, I guess I just love the sound enough to overlook those issues, although they are frustrating.

2 Likes

This thing is absolutely mad

There is nothing at all that sounds like it. it is unique and incredible. It’s also the most frustrating piece of music equipment ever made lol

Im going through projects on my OT of songs that Ive finished and Im A/Bing between the drums I originally wrote for the track and a pattern from the TB2. It sounds almost like the octatrack drums are all mids and highs and the TB2 is only sounds down in the bottom exclusively. This thing lives in it’s own lane entirely and for that reason it really is something to be cherished.

When I try and mix it in with melodic sounds one always drowns out the other. the 2 sounds are side by side and not ‘together’.

Ive requested a refund but its killing me. if this thing had a snare and hats with 606 style snap and a sliiightly more adjustable kick it would be the best drum machine ever made.

2 Likes

Is this all on the mix out port or did you do individual ports ?

That’s with kick1 and snare 1 individual out and the rest out the main output. Nothing scientific. Its obvious imo that this thing doesn’t fit into a track like you would expect a normal drum machine to. Not without lots of layering to get a good fill of the frequency spectrum. the kicks are all weight and nothing else and the snares are just thin farty noise.

you have 2 kicks and two snares to choose from but you sort of end up using all of them spread around across the pattern because none of them have enough presence to do a job on their own. This was something I noticed from the very few demos there are on youtube. When I was watching them I really wanted the guy to pull down the levels on the other sounds and leave a good meaty kick and snare to show them off in a classic dance music sequence. when you try that it really exposes it’s weaknesses imo

1 Like

i find this drum machine good for darker bass heavy music if you want to rely on the analog engines. I really like snare 1 but i mostly do minimal dark techno and ambient.

also try adding some analog distortion to the MFB drum machines they sound amazing.

1 Like

So you would just recommend using a 909 kick and Tom sample to add meat on a track?

You need to enjoy the layering aspect to get the most out of machines like this and the RYTM imo. Analog kicks and snares are always paired with samples for me.

I spent a couple days forcing myself to narrow down my choice of drum samples to the ones I absolutely liked the most, and it was a really great thing for me to do. Besides layering analog sounds with transient samples, I’m getting great sounds layering some 808 snare samples with the analog snares as well.

You just gotta balance the crack/snap/click with the boom. This will be the trick regardless if you’re using this, a RYTM, or even an MPC loaded with drum samples you want to layer.

1 Like

A 909 kick sample sounds great just being played as-is from any of the sample tracks; the envelope is great for shaping them while keeping them punchy imo.

For layering with the analog kick, the low-end would need to be filtered out. I use a 909 transient sample I grabbed from a Goldbaby sample pack that works nicely for me.

1 Like

right on prints i also use a kick sample lower the decay and pitch it up sample to get it to fit and it sounds great all well. also throwing on the analog heat to the tanz 2 sound amazing.

1 Like

Ha, I’m pairing it with the AH too. Good times.

1 Like

Just ordered a Tanzbar 2 this afternoon from Juno UK they had 2 in stock so I grabbed one to hook up with Quantum and shortly Kyra when it arrives. Excited to have a play with TB2 tomorrow when it arrives.

Rob

3 Likes