MDEdit : MachineDrum Editor and Librarian

God bless you, sir!

For all the things you’re working on that will be of great use to the community.

But mostly for relieving my curiosity!

I look forward to seeing how you’re going to execute all these awesome things! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Awesome, best of luck with the phD!

2 Likes

There is a long list of functionality for all of those products. Bottom line:

Ryan: Can X do Y?
Rusty: More then likely yes.

You’re welcome.

Execution is the least of my concerns…

OctaEdit v2 | MDEdit | AREdit | A4Edit: I’m already using all of these; and have been for a bit. They are in Beta as they require polishing to a level you or anyone else would find acceptable.

MMEdit | DTEdit | DNEdit all work theoretically/conceptually… I need to buy hardware to fully test.

My number one concern is funding. Figuring out the best way that I can earn a livable/decent income whilst doing all this is the tricky bit… do I do a kickstarter(s)? pre-sales? patreon? shares in new company? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Kind of feel that this would be best served in it’s own thread; but a bit weird being on an Elektron forum :expressionless:

1 Like

I mean, this seems to be the obvious course of action. Figure out the demand before attributing resources to them(which I know you tried with OE before, but that was sorta a polluted bag due to it already been released)

As much as I would want MDEdit ASAP, I’d figure your best course of action would be the non-legacy machines(would the two different versions of the Analogs require different software on your end?!?!) but then you’re also competing with OB functionality- if not, then perceived OB functionality.

Of course, the best route to success, would be a straight line to release. Polish as much as possible and then release them as you go as different version numbers.

Perhaps sell them as MDEdit 1- $60 for bare bones, and then release MDEdit 2- $80 or $20 to upgrade from 1.

Whatever you got to do, brother. I want you to do well(and I also desperately want MDEdit :smiley:)(so, so bad)

On an unrelated note, surely you should be able to get a job based on your existing portfolio- excellent work you’ve done.

Perhaps you could find a staffing agency? Contract to hire? That’s how I got my current job, and it’s been an absolute dream of a job making more than I ever thought I would make.

5 Likes

If you did shares in your new umbrella company, I’d be interested in investing/supporting it. I wouldn’t be able to contribute much at all, but I rather like the idea of investing in a company run by you.

2 Likes

this looks great !

1 Like

Would probably be Indiegogo rather then Kickstarter due to platform reasons.

There are (were) issues for me with Kickstarter, hence going with Indiegogo . Something to do with currency conversions, tax, or payments, or something. Can’t remember at the moment.

Identifying the demand first is a good idea. MDEdit already has had plenty of resources attributed to it; and is in a fully functioning alpha/beta state. I’ve been using it for a while with my MD quite happily.

It really is all about the time / energy that I can dedicate to it; and that needs to be justified, both by me, and to my boss.

And therefore there needs to be enough revenue/income there to justify the time and energy that gets spent to design, architect, develop, deploy and support a product.

If the above is not there, what is the point?

What I have for the non-legacy machines does a lot, lot more then Overbridge.

Just doesn’t do audio streaming… could do that with the drivers of course, or… :wink:

I would prefer to not do that; don’t like the “nickel and dime” approach. Plus has the benefit to keep all users on the same code base / version.

Back the Kickstarter / Indiegogo then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Or do you have a large wad of cash and want to be an angel investor? PM me if so :wink:

Oh, you don’t even know the half of it… I won’t rant. :expressionless:

I rather like the idea of you investing in a company run by me. We’re a perfect match :heart:

2 Likes

Oh…if only that were the case… :disappointed:

I don’t have nay new private messages :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ll defo sign up for an MDedit kickstarter style yokey if it goes ahead.
so you’ve at least 1 backer right here :slight_smile: :wave:t3:

2 Likes

I’m very interested by MDEdit (and also by the monomachine
counterpart) !

4 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

I don’t have a MD yet, but I am interested in this product as well)))

1 Like

Rusty, lock me in for a paid copy if it goes ahead.
Anything Machinedrum… and/or Monomachine.

6 Likes

Same here.

TAKE OUR MONEY!

5 Likes

Same here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m all for the MDEdit, Octa, and MMEdit

1 Like

MMEdit

MMEdit for the MonoMachine would happen afterwards if worth the hassle / time of day.

I have already developed a very rough Alpha. But need to do a shed load more testing before that sees the light of day; but conceptually and as far as I have tested; all works as expected.

The two main issues with MMEdit is:

a) Time
b) I do not own a MonoMachine.

So, um, would need to buy one to be able to finish development / be able to perform all required testing and support.

I’m not the biggest fan of the MonoMachine, so I would be buying one purely for MMEdit only.

I’ll just link to this post with some of my thoughts / comments on the Machinedrum:

2 Likes

Kickstarter vs Indiegogo vs Pozible vs Pre-Order aka “Thinking out loud”

Crowdfunding Platforms:

One of the things with a lot of the “crowd-funding” platforms is that there are restrictions around the currency that you can raise funds in, which is all dependent on countries and bank accounts, and leaves you at the mercy of currency flucuations, thus uncertainty, and additional fees (platform, payment provider, paypal, banks etc.); up to 10% from Kickstarter for starters.

This was the core reason that I opted to use Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter for OctaEdit v2. Indiegogo however now does the same thing as Kickstarter.

So Kickstarter and Indiegogo both don’t really seem a viable option I’m afraid. Pozible is possibly (See what I did there? :P)

So I’ll go and investigate what the options are with regards to crowdfunding; but all a lot easier with US$ in the US; alas that is not a viable option.

Pre-Orders

The other option is to create/provide pre-orders and do it all manually.

Main advantage of course is not having the platform / fees overhead; which would be quite significant.

Main disadvantages here are the overhead with setting stuff up / managing it all; and that some people might feel more comfortable using a platform like Kickstarter or Indiegogo; despite the fact that there is no accountability on those anyway?

Depends on how comfortable X number of cats would be with pre-orders.

4 Likes