MD shutting down/not starting up

I’ve just submitted a help ticket–my first and hopefully last one–and I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions while I await a response. I purchased the MD second hand so there’s no warranty but I’m hoping Elektron will still be able to work it for a fee. It’s otherwise in great shape.

For the last few weeks, the MD has randomly shut down in the middle of a jam and when I boot it up, it comes on but freezes on the opening/Elektron logo page. For the most part, it eventually comes on fully when I reboot it a few times but even that’s not working anymore, which means it’s totally unusable. I’ve launched it in test mode and confirmed that the hardware is working correctly and tried a soft reset but that didn’t solve the problem. I would try an empty or factory reset but I don’t want to lose my work and I can’t export the kits, patterns, songs, etc because obviously it’s not turning on.

tested the power supply? get a new one?

As its out of warranty it might be worth opening up and checking if there’s anything obvious going on connection wise before you send it for repair. One of the guys on here recently opened up one of the silver boxes (forget if it was MD or MM) and managed to do a simple fix. Hopefully they’ll see this and jump in with advice. http://www.elektronauts.com/t/how-i-repaired-my-monomachine-mk1-pics-of-internals-included/10880

Turned out to be a loose cable connection…

I’m surprised to hear that it could be the power supply since it IS coming on, it’s just getting stuck along the way. After reading that, though, I unplugged the supply and put it back in and the MD came on immediately without any problems, although it went back to the original problem on subsequent tries. I suppose I’ll have to locate a multimeter and test it out.

Perhaps I will get in there and have a look, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Could it be just your power plug is loose in the MD? Mine has gotten looses and I’ve knocked it out a time or too causing it to reboot.

All bets are off when it’s power - it might half power, might run like crap, or might not run at all.

1 Like

That would be ideal if it was just a power supply/connection issue. I’m gonna do some digging around this weekend with a friend and hopefully we can solve the problem and avoid sending it in for repairs.

FYI here’s the response from Elektron (note the bit about power supply):

"It’s most likely that we need to have a look at your Machinedrum.

However, note that if you run an Empty Reset it will not affect any saved data on the +Drive, so your Projects will be intact.

You could try with a different PSU and see if that is the issue. I don’t think that will solve it though, I think we should take it in for repairs.

The cost for a repair is 35 EUR per every started 30 minutes. Spare parts and shipping is not included in this price and VAT is not included where applicable. Its highly unusual repairs exceeds 1 hour. Turnaround for repairs are 2-4 weeks after we receive the unit."

1 Like

I was having weird intermittent freezes and refusal to boot issues with my MD. As it was out of warranty, I opened it up to see if i could see anything obvious, removing all the circuit boards in the process. After re-seating everything, the MD was back to full working order. I’m guessing after years of use, things had vibrated loose ever-so-slightly causing connection issues.

It was a pleasant surprise to not have to pay a few hundred buckazoids for a new logic chip, not to mention the long period of time I would have been separated from my beloved silver box.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Oh, and if that doesn’t work, you can also try removing and reinstalling the battery to do a hard-flush of the memory. Be sure to back up first though, since it will wipe everything (Snapshots on the +Drive will still be safe).

Similar to Paul
See here
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/dont-panic/11651/95866

Pleased to report that my little saga has finally come to an end. Upon reading everyone’s comments and anecdotes, I decided to open up the box and check the connections, which proved fruitless. So I bit the bullet and sent it in to the LA repair center. It arrived back yesterday and seems to be working correctly.

It took about 6 weeks altogether (estimate was 2-4) and I was surprised that no diagnosis/report was provided other than they replaced the PSU PCB. The good news is they didn’t charge me anything, I assume because of the delay. Either way, it’s a huge relief to have it back. And, after 6 weeks of nothing but Monomachine drums, I’m appreciating the MD’s capabilities more than ever.

1 Like

strangely, amidst the model:cycles hype machine i turned on my MD tonight and… nothing. no power whatsoever.

Tested PSU and another PSU, both working, not that.
Checked fuse, fine.

So panic is setting in. The only thing that arouses suspicion is the rocker switch, doesn’t quite feel right (and felt weird last night when i switched off) but not sure if altered memory or desperation for solution.
no access to multimeter at present frustratingly.
Online searches reveal not much in terms of similar problem and solution aside from sending away.

If anyone has experience with the rocker switch failing or alternative ideas/online references would appreciate any insight.

here’s some 2005-2020 internal filth pics of skin/weed/hair for those that don’t care.x

if this was an elektron game plan since day one to ensure i’d buy an M:C i have to respect that. :loopy: