MD Disillusionment

It’s been about 5 months since I had my MD repaired for not starting up (details here) and all of a sudden, it’s doing the exact same thing all over again. I take excellent care of the unit, so you can imagine I’m massively frustrated. I emailed the US repair center and they have yet to reply after 5 business days.

This is a waste of my time and a drain on my music making energy and I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time to move on to something more reliable.

Any advice?

I’m sorry to hear about your MD. Also sorry to hear about the delay in response from the repair centre; did you create a support ticket with Elektron HQ first?

While a very few people have had repeated failures of an Elektron instrument and there’s no guarantee that any given example of an instrument won’t break down at some point, I get the impression that Elektron gear in general is fairly reliable and certainly gets used a lot for live shows. It sucks that you are in the minority with your MD.

I seem to remember that you said that you loved the sound of the MD. So it’s a personal decision for you whether you would prefer to live with your current MD, get another MD, or try something different.

hey man, sorry to hear that… do u have a receipt when u handed in the machine`? … I would ask for it back, immediately, and try really hard not to pay a single dollar for their “keeping the machine in stock” …
did you go the official elektron way with the repair? …
if u got the cash, i would get another unit (2nd hand) and keep loving its capabilities…

hope things will get better for you soon mate!

Thanks, folks. I suppose I just wanted some assurance that I’m in the minority with these problems. I’m gonna stick with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the problems. Maybe something is lose? Did they ever mention not being able to recreate the problem?

I have a second hand MD MKII UW I got from eBay a few years ago with a manufacturers date of 2010 I think. I even installed my own +Drive and changed the face plate with a custom one. No functional issues. One broken output but I can still plug in the cable and get sound just fine. I think that part already came to me cracked and it came off when I was moving it once. It’s just the plastic part and I can glue it back on. Otherwise (knocks on wood) no problems.

Don’t sell it off. I had some similar issues & found some physical issues after my home was burglarized. I contacted their support & they gave me an address to send it to in the Southeast U.S. which is no longer their repair facility, it’s in California now.

Did you notice anything else about it when yours wasn’t working? Was there anything physical? I noticed something different on my MM one of the face screws was loosened but my alarm wasn’t tripped and the doors & locks were still intact. That was after I started hearing something that could sound like voices in the sounds a few weeks after I got mine new.

If it’s something like that call the police first & make sure you have insurance coverage on your gear. Also call the FBI, try to video it and take photos.

I sold my MKI MDSPS1UW for too little on eBay. I have a MKII now. They really are great instruments. Do some research on them with YouTube that’s how I have spent my downtime.

Someone also damaged my TM-1 but my retailer was quick to replace it. I thought it was damaged but then it works. I think a lot is happening from what we download. The machines have firmware and where I live the Internet has been pretty odd.

MY WOES

Sounds sound a lot different than what comes with the MD including the RAM machines, even after a factory reset.
When I get some patterns the way I’d like and am ready to record them it sounds like the bit depth or resolution of the audio dithers to lower than 11 bit. So I’ve made use of this situation that the people interfering know my patterns sound good too. So I have been saving my work.
If your DAW is interfered with try using the on-board mic, at least you try some experimental recording techniques.

As I said call the authorities, document what you are experiencing and when they get caught it’s going to be an amazing court case. :slight_smile: