MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

Sorry I hope that didn’t come off as rude, I’m having a bit of a stress out day.

Something I can’t figure out, maybe someone here knows: how do I set it so that a scene doesn’t change until after a minimum of say 64 steps? I have clips that are four bars long, but if I hold Clip and press a pad to chance scene, it always changes scene right after the current bar finishes playing, even if that’s bar 3 of a 4 bar clip/scene.

I’ve tried the following setting and none of them make a difference:

• [Clip] Play Stp Len
  • [Clip] Step Length
  • [Scene] LENGTH

Think I found a bug with LFO, set LFO1 to sync and no depth on any target, changed speed to 1/1 and pitch was being modulated, need to do some further tests before being certain.

Question is obsolete. I was just unable to know my own sequencer software :frowning:

Thank you for sharing it’s really useful (especially for pcm wave), can you add favorites please?

I posted a separate thread about it but thought I’d share a photo here of how Ikea’s new tablet stand looks like with the MC-101 in case anyone is curious. I’d say it’s a great fit.

7 Likes

The more I use the 707 as Drummachine and Multitimbral synth from an external Sequencer, the more I would love a smaller Device that does just that. Make it smaller, maybe exchange the long faders to the 101 faders or knobs, remove the sequencing capabilities and add a way to save presets and load them via PC. That would be awesome as I really really love the device as sound source!

1 Like

What don’t you like about the sequencing on the Device?

Also, would that not make the 101 and ideal candidate?

1 Like

Hmm, as I am not recording me playing, but adding notes step by step, I dont like everything that is not drum programming. Changing Notes in a Chord, changing Note-length and velocity etc. is a pain on the device. Moving notes around. Mass-Changing trigs etc. a pain or not possible.
When you started to work with a really powerful sequencer, you miss stuff every few steps in your workflow. I love the 707 for drum programming, but its not better than on most stand alone sequencers on top of that.
I know that the 707 is a groove box and does not want to keep up with those high end sequencers, but I do like the sound engines too much to not use it :slight_smile:

I really think about an 101, but I cannot remember the time, I did not use more than 4 tracks on the 707, and sure, I can just add other devices, but that makes the setup so much bigger. And I don’t know, how much fun is sound design on the 101, when you do it a lot. Its awesome, that they finally added it to the 101 (before that update I would have not thought about the 101), but the videos I saw make it REALLY menu-divy.

1 Like

Every day I think “Roland’s got to replace the Integra-7 with a ZEN-Core unit, right?”

The most common thing for me to keep plugged in to my Hapax right now is a SoundCanvas. But I would love to replace that with something like a rack-mount 707.

1 Like

What I love about the 707 is that I have a TRS and a Synth in one Device. I don’t need much more than that most of the times. Here and then I add an FM synth or my Virus to the setup, but most of the time, its my sequencer and the 707 currently.

1 Like

The pain of mixing and sculpting the sounds of a drum kit is one of the biggest dealbreakers for me. Would never use it as a drum module :smiley:

But I guess it’s a very personal thing and depending on what you want to do

Lack of proper FM is my one frustration with the ZEN-Core engine — one that seems like it should be easily capable of given all its xmod abilities.

But also, not really a core competency of Roland, I guess. And it’s nice to have a reason to own some other synths :slight_smile:

Roland recently updated the MC-101 and MC-707 with the ability to save and load “clips” containing both sound and sequencer data.

This is my first pack of free clips for the MC-101 / MC-707. It includes 32 basses and leads inspired by the Roland SH-101.

Here’s the link to the download page:
https://synthgroups.com/members/alex/activity/1001/

Enjoy!

8 Likes

Had fun last night, layering SCWs as oscillators in the 101. The synth engine lets you get really weird with them!

Top tip for SCWs in the 101: start with a tone track, load up one wave at a time, into the same track, and set each ones playback to FWD (looping) as you go. I couldn’t find a way to set this later down the line. The samples are then accessible in the partial editor with minimal fuss.

Probably not so exciting for 707 owners, I think 101 users got the best deal with this latest update.

3 Likes

I feel rather dumb for asking this, but: how do I get the MC-101 to send its notes programmed into clips out to the midi channels over usb?

I have the MC-101 plugged into my MPC Live 2, which has its own USB host and can both power and send midi to the MC-101 just fine. But no matter what settings I use in the 101’s Utility menu (TX USB is on, etc), I can’t get the MPC to detect any midi messages whatsoever from the MC-101. I’ve tried to play notes manually on the 101 pads, and I’ve tried to play back a clip. I’ve tried all midi channels, I’ve set the MPC to receive midi from All, or from specific channels (eg channel four for track four).

Again, the 101 receives midi notes just fine from the MPC. It’s the other direction that seems to be broken.

What I want to do is to transfer the midi data from a project over to the MPC (or any other DAW really - and I tried this with the MPC 2.0 MacOS daw too and got the same results). Is there a way?

Edit: found this: https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039735691-MC-101-The-MIDI-phrase-of-the-clip-is-not-output-

Apparently it’s in the track settings? Have to give this a try!

Edit 2: it works!

2 Likes

You hit on why i fell so easily for the Korg Opsix and Roland TR-6S price drops.

Both give me FM synths that are not on the MC platform.

MC plus TR-6S = chef’s kiss for me

3 Likes

I always forget the 6S has FM!

1 Like

MC-101 on the way. Excited ! First thought about the MC-707 but I just need it for pads, strings and all the awesome Roland Classic Synths. It complements the Tr8s+ Octa. So 4 Tracks is enough and the size is perfect.

4 Likes

Originally the 6S FM instruments were very simplified FM - just a Morph parameter to tweak for most of them, and a Coarse parameter for semitone pitch of the FM instruments in the FX/Hit-Others categories. So, it wasn’t an alternative to Digitone or anything.

The latest update introduced 6 FM Model instruments, which have 8-15 parameters depending on the Model. Still won’t give you a Digitone or Opsix, but now there’s more sound design possible.

Sequencing it from an MC has been much easier than expected, as long as I stick to the default MIDI mappings. MC snare is mapped to TR snare, kick mapped to kick, etc.

2 Likes