MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

MC-101 on the way. Excited ! First thought about the MC-707 but I just need it for pads, strings and all the awesome Roland Classic Synths. It complements the Tr8s+ Octa. So 4 Tracks is enough and the size is perfect.

4 Likes

Originally the 6S FM instruments were very simplified FM - just a Morph parameter to tweak for most of them, and a Coarse parameter for semitone pitch of the FM instruments in the FX/Hit-Others categories. So, it wasn’t an alternative to Digitone or anything.

The latest update introduced 6 FM Model instruments, which have 8-15 parameters depending on the Model. Still won’t give you a Digitone or Opsix, but now there’s more sound design possible.

Sequencing it from an MC has been much easier than expected, as long as I stick to the default MIDI mappings. MC snare is mapped to TR snare, kick mapped to kick, etc.

2 Likes

Its hard to tell from the picture - how sturdy is this stand?

For a desktop producer like myself, it’s sturdy enough. Definitely works well for such a lightweight product like the MC-101. I did try to put my comparably massive MPC Live 2 on it and, while it worked surprisingly well, I feel a bit nervous about it.

But it definitely wiggles a little when you hit pads etc, so I’d still probably say “not sturdy enough” to your question. It depends on how high your demands are I suppose.

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a list of PCM waveforms for these units?
I can find links to the preset list but not the PCMs.

I’m looking to do some sound design, going deeper than just the VA waves, but on the MC-101 it’s either skipping chunks of waves with a pot or holding a button down for eternity, while scrolling one by one with the encoder.

A PCM list would be super helpful so I’d be extremely grateful if anyone could point to such a thing if it exists.

You’re definitely not scrolling up hard enough, I’m sure I saw a link to it here last week. :grimacing:

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Also, this is a handy online search facility which is based on the official source.

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember May like it was just last week.:wink:

Yeah, I missed that.
In my defence, this is a monster of a thread, I check it every few days or so and scroll back as far as I estimate being away from it.
If that was indeed reposted recently then I mr Magoo-d it.

Thank you, that’s perfect.

Thanks for that.
That one’s really detailed and nicely laid out, the obvious trade off being the ten a page format but lovely to look at.
Cheers

Just took another look and realised the ten a page can be bumped up to 200 …missing many details just lately.

1 Like

Got the MC101 and just playing the pad presets. Holyshit !!! This is like the best of Detroit. Sounds amazing. The sounds are very clean but overdriving it on my mixer and using my DP4 it just sound breathtaking. Crazy what is coming out of this little thing, Super recommended !

8 Likes

So i finally get an (older) mac for production, and i should have just spent more money all along.

Aggregate audio device is working pretty flawlessly with ableton between all my boxes, including TR8s, MC707, iconnectAudio4+ and Scarlett 18i20. This isn’t AS good as overbridge, i still have to use the controls on the boxes, but it’s amazing to have all my audio channels available on their own channel via USB.

Happy daze! Hopefully i can convince myself to record more, now…

2 Likes

it has 40+ years of Roland presets, pretty good, and that’s what they all used, Roland synths. These recreations aren’t perfect, but yeah, that’s why i have the MC707. it’s like having 8 Roland synths each with their own macro controls, into a master bus with FX, not bad…

3 Likes

and its so nice small. Didn’t had much room on my table anymore but it fits perfectly ! Roland did a lot of good stuff latley. I am also very happy with the Tr8s.

5 Likes

Yes, this are my favorite sounds. Add a analog overdrive/distortion or filter after them and it sounds really good.

1 Like

That’s why i have Elektron Drive pedal! :raised_hands:

i’m pretty impressed at some of the distortion type random patches it throws out. not necessarily what i was expecting, in a good way. but the Elektron Drive pedal sounds great.

1 Like

Don’t sleep on the internal fx either, they can be edited to sound very good.

8 Likes

Is there anything new about the compatibility of the « model expansions » with the MC101/707 ?