MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

That is not how it is working here:

I set a track to a tone track, hold shift and press sel for track, set audio insert to in L&R and the internal tone generator is no longer active, if I play the source into the input and adjust the EQ I can hear it affecting the source.

Try it like that.

2 Likes

Ah, I realise what I was doing wrong, I was setting the eq in the sound edit menu not the track setting menu.
Cheers for setting me straight.

1 Like

you can only edit in the Zencore or in the MC707. i been shaming Roland every board/opportunity i get for their LACK of anything that remotely resembles Overbridge, which is what they SHOULD have for all the people who bought these DEEP synth programming machines. i encourage you to ALSO shame them as much as possible, apparently Roland is listening…

3 Likes

Where to find a list of original 707 soundpacks? I remember cool sound packs when it was released and they mentioned they are not compatible with 101. Now I’m back, thinking about purchase and cannot it. Classic 90’s sound packs with Roland sound. Now have only zencore shop with everything…there were some presets editable for sale as well. Any clues?

Apart from the Zencore stuff - here’s this site

https://aira.roland.com/soundlibrary/page/1/

1 Like

This thread I started inspired me to get organized and I busted my MC707 out. I actually really really love this thing for the type of music I like and make. Thumbs up!!!

4 Likes

Question: How do I edit the second page when I have a sequence longer than 64 steps? I know there’s a way to get to the second page but I can’t find it in the manual. Thank you!!!

Use the Measure “<” and “>” buttons to page through the Measures - at least on the 707.

Each page is 16 steps.

There are actually 8 pages available, for a totals of 128 steps. So after you page past Page 4, you’ll get on Page 5 and so on.

2 Likes

Thank you! There’s no real short-cut or indicator that you’re on the second page it seems.

I guess I was struggling with this because I didn’t know if I was on the second page or not.

Just gotta tab over :+1:

Yeah, I haven’t found an indicator either.

The song I was working on had verses that took up 256 steps - so I had to split each verse into 2 128-step clips.

The other problem with long verses for me is that it’s easy to lose count. I’ve had to redo a clip or two multiple times because the tracks didn’t line up due to counting wrong for even just one clip - thought I’d entered 8 pages worth of steps for it, but actually only entered 7. Only fix I found was to write stuff down.

1 Like

Having some issues with MIDI synch. Using 707 as a sound module controlled by the Keystep 37. All other gear synchs nicely via the MIDI Thru box. Just the 707 is lagging. And it’s quite material.

Is this something anyone else has experienced?

1 Like

Yes. MC-707 is not a good midi slave. I had troubles using both my keystep and my DAW as master as well.

Better use it as master or don’t use its internal sequencer at all if you want another sequencer as master.

But for some reason, it does usually sync well to my TR-8S. Seems that it needs a really stable clock or something…

1 Like

I got my 707 synced to the Octatrack and that seems to be rock solid. No issues at all.

2 Likes

I programmed piano loops on the 707 and slaved it to the OT to record and mangle. I didn’t have any problems doing it that way. The loops came out tight

1 Like

Yes, and I measured it too, it has a fair bit of jitter:

The test was conducted as follows:

Tempo 120BPM
1 track playing short test pulse sample on 16th notes, 1 bar pattern
Record audio into computer from line out for 30 seconds.
Once recorded pick a section of 8 hits from within the 30 seconds
Truncate the audio file so that the first pulse is at the very start of the file, eg 0 samples from start.
In software set markers to 120BPM, then measure how far from each marker the pulse hits.

I tested synced to Octatrack, synced to Roland SBX1, and just 707 internal clock.

The number of samples deviation at 44.1khz is shown, a minus number indicates an early hit, a positive number indicates a late hit. For reference 100 samples is roughly 2ms, not easily heard in isolation, but very easily heard when synced to an accurate device with less jitter on percussive sounds especially. Also can be a problem when wanting to sample accurate loops etc.

I wrote to Roland asking for it to be improved, you should too :slight_smile:

Edit: As @Oxenholme and @cogsy say sync to OT is acceptable. Strangely Roland SBX1 is known to put out good midi clock, yet 707 does not sync great to it.

2 Likes

It seems there will be a MC-707 firmware update this year. It was confirmed by someone that works directly with Roland. Let’s hope for some kind of editor.

But you can also use the Zenology Pro software to edit patches and transfer them to the 707. I usually do everything in the machine, I don’t think the menu diving is that hard, at least not compared to other stuff that I used in the last years like the Blofeld or the Virus Snow.

In the case of the MC-101 I believe its a marketing strategy of Roland to limit its editing power, I mean you can’t expect that a product that costs $400 to have the same access to their main synth engine as the 707, Jupiter X, Fantom and Juno X.

1 Like

Kind of, and it is pretty clunky. You have to first export the sounds you made from Zenology then load them in as sound packs, also some of the parameters on 707/101 are either not present or not easily found such as fx levels which seem to be outside of a patch.

A proper dedicated editor would be much better, with realtime preview on the hardware.

3 Likes

i just tweek presets because i don’t enjoy digging in the MC707 menu, and i don’t pay for their good version zenology, so i get the crippled plugin, i hate the cloud, take it off my computer and don’t have fun moving saved patches at all. Because of the midi functionality and what has come before it, we all KNOW that Roland has the capability to make a software UI, i feel compelled to remind them that even the MC808 has a software editor, and it’s a SHAME that Roland engineers don’t think more like Elektron Overbridge, with their AIRA line, because it COULD be glorious. I see the INTENT with their MX-1 mixer, but the half assed implementation makes me sad, so many BAD decisions, probably due to many middle-management people who like to put adverts in my drum computer UI…

too bad Roland can’t make something like the Octatrack inna Mixer, the MX1 was all sorts of bad decisions, a real-time sample mangler attached to a decent mixer would be awesome, can use like iConnectivity products, where you can plug any generic midi device and no problems.

Thanks for the input folks. Shame about this synch issue. I too will let Roland know this displeases me.

1 Like