MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

What does maximum repair replace cost mean?

And thank you all 3 of you for your words of advice! Low key devastated that a one second error could cost me hundreds of dollars and a broken machine.

Expensive lesson :frowning:

Can an iPhone repair place really help? I live in Los Angeles, close to the actual Roland repair place I think!

FWIW, earlier this year I was trying to start my MC-101 into storage mode, but accidentally started in upgrade mode, so I turned it off like an idiot - wouldn’t turn back on. Stupid move that cost me $200, and took about 7 weeks to get it back from Roland.

1 Like

That is a very disheartening story lol. :frowning:

When I sent my Space pedal in for repair, they said the max they would charge me was $200, if they had to send me an entirely new pedal. Turns out one resistor was bad, so they just charged me $50. Which hurt a bit, but $50 feels acceptable for tech time, and is a good reminder to get out my DMM And do some tests of my own before rushing to Fedex.

Edit: it took Eventide 2 weeks from receipt of pedal to ship it back to me. And then it was stuck for two more weeks in the South SF FedEx Ground distribution center. :face_vomiting: (barf at FedEx S Seattle, happy with Eventide)

Don’t mind because of the missing warranty. If you plug in the wrong power supply, it’s your and not the manufacturers fault, so warranty would not be replied here.
But it’s a shame that most companies save a few cents when designing their bords and don’t protect them from over voltage while using the same connectors from 5 to 30V :frowning:
Making devices not burn when you use the wrong polarity (9V devices mainly) or the wrong powersupply is soo easy :frowning:

2 Likes

The unfortunate irony here is that Roland do label all their plugs with the device name (at least in the UK), which I’m frequently grateful for.

1 Like

Yep! I blindly grabbed the wrong connector and it happened to fit so I didn’t question it. :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

Two diff take on a “groovebox” try to figure out what each do best, and how to use them for that. I send my 707 and TR8S into Octatrack, so i can’t comment on syntakt…

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
I’m finding I don’t enjoy the workflow jumping back-and-forth between the two. Rather just stick to one at a time in the end.

1 Like

Just noticed that if you load a drumkit from a sound file it can have more than 16 sounds.

To hear the other sounds you need to have a keyboard connected to the 707.

What is interesting is that in live record mode you can record the extra sounds to the sequencer.

Unfortunately, further editing or even viewing these “outside notes” does not seem possible.

2 Likes

No, but it makes the MC707 a powerful sound module if you’re sequencing from somewhere else.

1 Like

The 707 will sequence the extra drum sounds, no need for an external sequencer.

1 Like

One thing which is pretty cool about 707 is being able to use it as a mixer for 4 sources, then being able to capture those 4 tracks over USB into the computer. The fx sends work, and you can set those on the channel knobs, it has eq for each channel and you can set a track effect for each too - pretty flexible for capturing live jams from external gear.

4 Likes

Quick question for those with experience with Zenology (and its integration with the MC series).

Is it possible to use Zenology using a computer to edit the sounds created with user samples on the MC101 ? I would like to tweak some settings in the Zen-core engine which aren’t accessible on the MC101. Or is it only possible by transferring the project on the MC707 ? Many thanks !

Apologies if this is covered somewhere in this thread already, but I’ve been considering an mc101 for a while and have a question.
I’m really interested in using it as a sound module rather than a groove box and am wondering if I were sequencing it from the Digitone can I select presets from the Digitone or would I need to do some kinda work around, like have an empty clip which saves the sound to it with notes being fed from the Digitone. There doesn’t seem to be anything about selecting presets in the midi documentation.

I don’t think you can use the 707’s channel eqs on external sources, I beleive the signal comes in at the IFX.

On the 707 you either have to assign a sound to a track (whereby every clip on that track will play the same sound) or on a per clip basis.
I suspect the 101 is the same.
Selecting sounds is not something you can do by program change messages so having empty clips just to be sound holders would be the way to go, assuming you can get the DN to change clips?

1 Like

I thought so to but it does work, you go into shift+track and there is an EQ tab there where you set it.

Yes I agree that selecting shift+track shows you the eq tab but I have found that when using an external source alone (i.e. not layering it with an internal sound) any adjustments you make to the eq have no effect on the sound.

I’m doing it right now, try it - you can’t use an internal sound on that channel, because you set audio insert on in shift+sel.