MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

too bad Roland can’t make something like the Octatrack inna Mixer, the MX1 was all sorts of bad decisions, a real-time sample mangler attached to a decent mixer would be awesome, can use like iConnectivity products, where you can plug any generic midi device and no problems.

Thanks for the input folks. Shame about this synch issue. I too will let Roland know this displeases me.

1 Like

I’ve tried trawling through this thread but can’t find what I’m after so if anyone could tell me the following, I’m interested in getting a 707 and would use it for say 2 tracks for drums and maybe 6 tracks of loops. Can the loopers have different lengths and can you assign different effects to each loop and use the pots to change the effects or do the pots control a global reverb / delay levels, thanks

I’ve done those, setup 6 tracks of drum loops, each with different effects mapped to the track macro knobs. You could map these knobs to a global reverb/delay send, or to a track FX parameter, looper pitch, etc. The knobs in the upper right control the master FX (global amounts). Not sure about different lengths. It’s probably just limited by the total looper time (1 minute).

1 Like

Thanks for that, good to know you can assign different effects, just need to know about the loop lengths now :+1:

I think my biggest gripe about the 707 right now is having to stop the sequencer to save the project.
Also, having to press Write twice, to tell it to save over the current project.

Anybody else feeling the same?

I don’t imagine there is currently a work around for either of these, but I would guess that a fix for the overwrite confirmation message could be addressed in an update.

Is it a software issue or hardware limitation that makes saving with the sequencer running not possible?

1 Like

Does not bother me too much, but it would be better if it could save without stopping, maybe it is a hardware limitation?

It’s been a while but I think schift + yes or write saves right away, no need for write twice.

Hi guys, I read almost the whole thread here and some other stuff around the web but still can’t make up my mind about buying the 101 or the 707.

I love the form factor and the 4 knobs of the 101 but I feel that it can be too limited on sound design.
Either way the 707 seems a proper instrument with all the depth you could possibly want to mangle the original patches, and I didn’t dislike the bigger i/o possibilities.

I’m not interested in the sampling aspect, nor the sequencing one, as I’m going to integrate either one of these boxes with a proper midi sequencer and I’ve got also a bunch of synths in the arsenal, and an OT too, although this is really underused and thinking to sell sooner or later, precisely because the lack of sampling in my workflow.

I’d like to pair the 101/707 with a TR8s, that’s my drum machine, so no need the rythm aspect of thesr boxes too.

In other words, and as I have proper hands on synths already (Peak, Micromonsta2, sh01a, tt-303, Microfreak and Wavestate) the 101 should tick all the boxes for me, namely a preset box/rompler/sound module to be driven by a Squarp Hapax, and let the sound design duties to my other synths, but somewhere in my mind I feel that the ability to manipulate patches like you can on the 707 would be missed along the way, and I’d like to send TR8s stuff to the 707 scatter engine too, just to achieve some Polyend Plays’s stuff on a simpler degree.

On the other hand the 707 is quite bulky and double the price even in the second hand market, and maybe a bit overkill with all the other gear sitting on the desk already.

I’d love to hear some thoughts, especially from who have had both machines.

P. S.
I know about Roland cloud stuff used to create/mangle patches to be sent to the 101, but that’s a non starter for me as I don’t want to include a PC/Mac in the workflow atm

Thanks for the feedback
Ciao!

I think you could get more than double the value with 707 compared to 101

Sound editing, ins, outs, pedals send/return, 3 performance knobs per track…
Also the faders on the 101 are so tiny…

2 Likes

love them tiny faders :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

it makes editing really fast, because the travel distance is short :crazy_face:

1 Like

MC101 vs MC707
I guess a size and price question. I you prefer portability, or don’t have the budget -> MC101

Other than that I can’t think of any advantages of the 101

1 Like

Some of the editing is a bit more immediate, things like scenes feel more direct on 101 I think.

If just using as a sound module and you don’t need tone editing on the unit 101 all day, 707 is great as sequencer/mixer and the tone editing is quite good if a little oldschool (Roland 4 partials, like 90’s romplers D50/JV etc)

4 Likes

I hoped you two guys will chime in too to give some advice.

All the sequencing/arranging features/differences are not important to me 'cause I’m gonna sequence them externally anyway.

I intend to use them mainly as sounds module, but as said I guess the more sound design possibilities of the 707 would be appreciated down the line.

Another cool feature of the ’ 07 is the routing option it can give me. I can route some of its tracks into the Tr8s sidechained input, and Tr8s inside it to scatterize drums too.

Budget is not issue, if money’s spent right

Just to expand a lil more, I’m evaluating to shrink a bit my actual setup. I love it, but sometimes I feel that with fewer toys around I’d be more focused on just making music, instead of wrestling all those different workflows. I can see me selling the Wavestate, Microfreak and Octatrack, and leave the heavy lifting to Hapax/TR8s/707 with some added sugar here and there thanks to the other synths (303/sh01a/peak/MM2)

I guess that everything seems to point me towards the '07 more. Let’s wait and see if some deal pops up in the second hand market.

I wish Roland would have made a middleground box between these two, like a 6 tracks 101 with an external input, an assignable extra out and the 707 screen/options.
At 7/800 usd that would have been digitakt/deluge killer to me.

1 Like

If you got the money MC 707 All day, more standalone

Another question that comes to mind, when you use the 707 as an usb interface for a DAW, the external input and return are sent as well as the internal sounds? I’m not using any daw atm, just having fun jamming, but it could be a very welcome bonus if I’ll switch to arrange and produce itb sooner or later.

Thx

I really love my 101, but if I’m honest the 101/707 feels like a bad fit here. More than half the usefulness is in the sequencer — and 20% of the rest is in the portability of the 101, and the mixing of the 707. And as groove boxes, percussion factors heavily. It doesn’t sound like you’re interested in any of that.

Depending on the sound you’re missing, maybe something more stand alone like a JV-1080/2080 would be a better fit? Though really either the MM2 or Peak (to say nothing of them together!) cover so much ground already.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right on that.

But all this path started after getting the Wavestate, and not gluing with it. So i started the search of rompler/sample based synth to cover either the acoustic sounds ground, and some bread and butter sounds to sketch quickly without deep diving into Peak and MM2 to design something.

My workflow tend to be like this: scrolling patches, find a soud I like, lay down melody, refine sounds, so more often than not I rely on premade stuff, and having like the Roland history at hand would be quite useful as a starting place to refine later in the jam.

I evaluated the JVs and the Integra7 but I didn’t get good feelings just looking at them and watching videos on YT.
I took a look at the Jupiter Xm and despite it having either zencore and the ACB alike models it didn’t cliked to me either, as its workflow seemed evem worst than the Wavestate one. So ended up in the MCs territory and found something that seems the right balance between patches auditioning and tweakability

1 Like

Not an easy question to answer.

If you only get the 101 and you really, really need to do any edits to synth presets beyond basic filter adjustments, you’ll have to get some kind of editor software. Zenology Pro for sure will work. This guy claims his editor gives you access to all sound parameters, but I’ve never tried it:

707 allows full access to the ZenCore engine. It has easy and, well, not-easy modes for editing. :grinning: I cannot promise you will enjoy editing your presets on the 707.

Another thing to keep in mind you cannot save presets separate from a project. Any presets you create always have to be part of a project. Doesn’t bother me much but others have been vocal about it.

Zenology Pro might let you organize presets into banks and let you create your own custom bank, but I haven’t used it.

1 Like