Studio to-do list

Anyone have one? These are things I’d like to do when I’m not working on music

• Back up all my projects, samples, and tracks to a new HD (basically get all my music stuff organized and find all my favorite things)

• Set up one of these desks with a keyboard tray

• Update Rekordbox and my CDJs with the latest software and firmware

• Download some newer house and techno music

• I have a lot Ableton project files and I want to recreate some of synth sounds (reverse engineer and learn some synthesis techniques)

• Box up some of the gear I’m not using

• Dust

• Clean the screen on my SP16

8 Likes

Yup, but mine has a subsection for gear that needs repair and maintenance.

2 Likes

Current things to action:

• Worn encoder repairs on OT & Rytm (they still work mostly so I’m procrastinating on this)
  • Amp service
  • Guitar re-string & drop A tune :metal:
  • See if I can fix that old Mackie mixer to amp vocals into the OT
  • Fix up pedalboard with those pedals gathering dust in a box

List used to be miles bigger than this, as did the setup. I’m glad it’s only half a dozen items max these days. More time to screw about with music :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To do
Very close to selling everything and go in the box.

8 Likes

Yea, I took my XDJs to a small gig over a holiday weekend and was so embarrassed by them when I set them up and saw them in different light lol. I drove out and got rubbing alcohol so I could clean them up.

The only to-do left in my studio is to make some music. That one always gets ignored. The floors are clean though!

14 Likes

Make the to-do items very small, so you feel good starting on them.

2 Likes

My problem is, that’s all I do - make music :smile:

3 Likes

I wish this was me but sadly I’m stuck with @Kegeratorz most of the time, making the music is always the most difficult item!

1 Like

Hah, I think about this periodically, just selling it all and getting a push and midi fighter twister but hardware is too damn fun.

Current to- do list:

• Slightly neater cable management (it isn’t horrible, but could be cleaner)
  • Clean the notecards, pens, and misc crap off my desk
  • Do something with the unsightly mess of unused patch cables and modules sitting next to my modular
  • Decide whether or not I’m selling the Pro 3, and list it if I am
  • Go through my sample folders and clean up the ones I won’t actually use
  • Spend more time practicing scales so I don’t have to rely on the charts I’ve put up on the wall.
2 Likes

There’s always something, but generally first on the list is put some stuff aways, clear some space and organise and put away loose cables.

It’s astonishing how quickly a neat and tidy setup can turn to messy chaos. Usually it’s a temporary setup that works for a couple of weeks and then itself becomes a barrier to moving on to something else or a new focus.

2 Likes

Ongoing- tidy up
WIP- Album project
Build Dysmetria (started)
Modify X0xbox
Octatrack only DnB/Jungle project
Sell gear that is no longer used.

5 Likes
  1. Just Do It
1 Like

I’m working towards keeping it neat… I want to figure out a way of doing this:

With my Analog Four M1 - it doesn’t hage the DTs built in VESA mounting.

I also want a giant whiteboard for my wall above my music desk, to write down plans and goals.

Other than that, work on my current workflow. At the moment that is sound design with A4 and a now fixed effects chain of A Sherman Filterbank/Timeline/Compressor pedal, and sampling into DT (and sampling from vinyl and media still), and perform from Digi. So stick to current method until I have a decent collection of songs, is the musical goal.

1 Like
  1. Tidy cables,
  2. Reduce clutter.
  3. Sell anything I’m not going to use.
  4. Sell anything I’m not going to use.
  5. SELL ANYTHING IM NOT GOING TO USE…
  6. Make some music.
  7. Release that music.
5 Likes

I find these three so hard. I have some really delightful gear packed away because I’m struggling to make time for it all. But I worry that I’ll miss it and want to re-buy it if I sell it.

3 Likes

Record more tracks, tons of backlog, where 90% of it is done, apart from actually recording them.

Finish the 8 or so sound/sample packs I’m working on.

Continue to improve the workflow, made a lot of progress on this in the last few months, so build on that.

Sell off unused gear, again something I have been doing, that I will continue.

Then, reorganise setup for optimum efficiency.

1 Like

I boxed up my octatrack, analog heat and a bunch of other synths a while back to sell, as I realised that all that gear was actually like an anchor around my waist when it came to being creative.

I used to hate that adage that what you own eventually owns you, but I can see what people mean now when they say that.

In the end, the OT and heat made it back into the room. I couldn’t part with them. It’s weird, the OT feels more like an instrument than just a piece of gear, I can’t put my finger on why that is.

The other stuff I boxed up remains there, and at this point I just need to let them go…

3 Likes

@Octagonist @AFunkyRhythm I have a stash of things boxed up that I haven’t touched for a good few months now. Logic says I should sell, but I’ve done that in the past, only to cave in and buy things back, usually for more money… It’s a dilemma for sure!

3 Likes
  • sell stuff (to make room for buying stuff)
  • unplug and swap left and right monitors to see if a crackle is an issue with the monitor or cables/interface
  • sample a stack of records
  • dust