Malekko Manther, Mr. D, and BFF Grooveboxes

this is a Quick test of the Malekko Manther the track is very simple and the Mather lead line is just a loop for the test no editing or processing. for a final track id do at least another variation of the manther loop.I figure for those that want to here what the manther sound s like wiht other instuments id just put this test up.

Manther - is the lead thats comes on in the first min
Dread box hades - is the acid bass line
OB-6- is the chord/keys that come in about half way through
analog RYTM- for the drums

2 Likes

Weirdly a few hours after i posted on this thread i have one here.
I like it a lot ā€¦ havenā€™t looked into midi but its a nice small boxā€¦easy to understand.sounds good.
Ill try to post some noise later.

Also pushed over the edge into buying it as it was quite cheap , hard to resist a bargain.

2 Likes

definitely needs a firmware update but right now its very usable.

some audio/things on googledrive too.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s_oRD8yHdZ3QSzQ0zZZsrCBqxWkzXRRy

some pics on instagram (a bit dusty though)

1 Like

here is a another test of the MANTHER MALEKKO its just the same 1 bar pattern all the way through. basicly Only the manther Changes just for a test I did of the range of sounds. thought gear heads may like this.

Malekko Manther - the synth and acid line
Elektron RTYM mki- drums
Elektron analog drive- some FX distortion on drums

1 Like

I got the last one of these in my city. Perfect companion to an Analog Four with its CV outs. Happy day!

3 Likes

First evening report: I plugged some closed headphones into Manther so I could jam on the couch next to my poor, dear partner.

Me [muttering]: ā€œDisgustingā€¦ Thatā€™s gross. Broken. Totally broken.ā€
Her: ā€œOh is it not working properly?ā€
Me: ā€œItā€™s working perfectly. You see, the coveted CEM3340 VCO chip whichā€”ā€œ
Her: ā€œMaybe you should talk to your brother about this.ā€

Disgusting and broken is the only way to describe this thing.

5 Likes

if you want to sync with external gear remember to change to ext , exit the menu , turn it off / back on.

its a fun machine to make stuff on thoughā€¦ i havent used mine enough this week ā€¦

If you were reviewing a movie, that would make me want to see it!
I really like the disgusting and broken stuff Iā€™m getting out of the Manther.

1 Like

Do you think the manther will get a midi out update so I can double the pattern on as1 / slim phatty / whatever? Seems like a very useful feature.

It needs an update but atm it can do 64 steps at various speeds ( you can divide and multiply the clock )

It definitely needs an update and probably many.

1 Like

good video ,nicely presented , factual , nice clear graphics . i learnt a few new things and havent gone near song mode myself.

currently undecided if i want to get rid of it , its buggy , has some annoying interface things , but it also sounds nice and i hope they can fix the small issues with it. i got it at a good price and if i sold it now , iā€™m very unlikely to get one as cheap again (if i ever bought another)

if i did a video i think iā€™d end up complaining about the issues it has , which wouldnā€™t be a completely fair representation of what it does (and doesnā€™t ) do.

Dual VCO in Rytm has been my Manther lust remedy.
Not just for the fun sequencer tricks (love using retrig on it), but also for the sound.
Big enough sound to make up for the loss of immediacy and also save me $649, but only just! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, not sure if you were replying to my mid out query? I understand it does multiply and divide, what would be cool if it can be used as an external midi sequencer so the pattern that is playing through manther can also be played on another machine at the same time. From the manual it only had midi clock out.
I got mine and after a few days had to leave on an extended trip so havenā€™t got to grips with it yet but the video posted above is really helpful. Cheers

Anyone tried the cv outs of the sequencer? The internal seq seems to go a bit crazy when you plug a cable to the cv out.

My honeymoon ended. Daniel Dehaanā€™s video highlights four things:

1. People donā€™t read manuals;
  2. Manuals arenā€™t written from the point of view of the user;
  3. Tabletop synth users expect a higher degree of intuitivity or clearer interface design than Malekkoā€™s eurorack users do (might want to take note here guys);
  4. The interface design of Manther and the state of its software has issues which exacerbates nos. 1, 2, and 3.

Itā€™s a great video, it highlights how a patient and methodical mind can work through a device and tick off those points.

I brought Manther to my desk and worked through the video as methodically as my own mind allows. My conclusion: the voicing and architecture are great; the sequencer and the functionality of the interface and various buttonsā€¦ no fucking clue. Iā€™m just going to sequence it from an Elektron, not going to bother with it.

Looks great sitting next to an Octatrack MKII, occasionally sounds spectacular. Might get sold.

1 Like

The Manther is super easy/intuitive to use; especially, compared to something like the Mother 32. I thought it was even more intuitive than the Abstrakt Avalon too. Iā€™m really surprised youā€™re having issues figuring out how to use it.

2 Likes

yea i think the Manther is very easy to learn and not to many hidden menuā€™s. spent about a good 5 hours just playing with it and it was enough to really get most of the functions down. it sounds great and it has patches/pattern automation save which is very nice. I really want to see program change per pattern/patch.

maybe it helps me that I view it as: ā€œWAY easier to learn than an MC-202!ā€ because thatā€™s basically what it is. itā€™s different than Elektron stuff but I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s any more difficult. some stuff is much simpler, actually.

1 Like

yes to all , though now theyre competing with other desktop devices and how that market has developed i dont think its unreasonable for some of the recent requests , many are not ā€˜quirky oddā€™ requests , theyā€™re pretty standard ā€¦ considering theyre lining up another few devices i hope theyre on a steep learning curve to ensure those are successful.

i dont recall having an issue with the mc202 though it was 20 years ago and i bought a kenton box for midi.

the avalon has a lot more options under the hud which makes it a little tricky with many key combo buttons , the screen on the manther should help , assuming it was going to show all the info (which is doesnt at the moment)ā€¦ but when you try setting up a specific filter value , slide length , gate time on the avalong it takes a little while to get to grips with it ā€¦ personally i never mess with some of it , just kept it simple with filter offset and some global tweaks).

there is a small but important difference with manther to much of the elektron machines.
e.g.
with probability , you select the probability you would like , THEN press the steps to apply it onto.
you dont select the steps (either singularly or individually) and THEN ā€¦ select the probability.

this can be the same with gate length , delay , repeats ā€¦ you select the value with an encoder and then press the steps you want that value on.

and glide is another method , you can record it in , i think hold the step and dial it in , but you cant select it as a step parameter (e.g. making step length longer than 100% to extend into the next step). Iā€™d love them to add it to the menu system for each to have a graphical way to edit them (glide , morph , delay time , regen , depth).

and finally the quirky thing for me was.
if you record automation on a parameter , the entire sequence becomes fixed to that value , and if you want any changes you have to record those in.
its not like elektron in which you might ā€˜lockā€™ in values on a specific step but on the others theyre still responsive to parameter movementsā€¦ this was as instant ā€˜that weird ā€¦ ok ā€¦ i guessā€™

in some terms its simple too , you dont have patches , you just have whats in the sequence , you can load sequence A01 and then select a bass patch ā€¦ if you have a nice sound and you want another sequence , youā€™ll need to copy it to another location and add the new set of notes that you want.

minor point for me is the how of moving around the menu system , iā€™d like them to add the option of ā€˜back to main sub menuā€™ by pressing the value button too , its minor but the current workflow is unintuitive sometimesā€¦ dial i in a value and while you hand is also on that encoder press it to go back to the menu , instead of swapping to the other button to go backā€¦ i know this is very much my brain getting into ui/ux designer mode and not something 99%+ of people care about or would consider being wrong.

so in general Iā€™m kind of glad that others are reaching similar conclusions , either weā€™re all a bit mad , or Iā€™m actually alrightā€¦

as mentioned too , i may just sequence with elektron , seems a shame theyve done all that work when maybe a sound module mightbe been easier for them to do in terms of getting into newer synth territory.
interesting to find something where you think ā€™ elektron are still ahead of the gameā€™ with sequencing , despite all the calls for song mode etc etc etc (thats for another thread).

it should be way easier to learn than a 202 , that was 30 years ago , on a tiny 8 bit digital screen , saving to cassette tape ā€¦ if anyone used that as a marketing tagline , itā€™d be laughed out of the synth pool (or wherever synth people hang out)

2 Likes