Malekko Manther, Mr. D, and BFF Grooveboxes

hah! well I didn’t say they marketed it that way. it’s just my point of view: “hey look, a 202 that doesn’t look like a total mystery to program!”

I was not a fan of programming the sequencer for the MC-202 when I owned one many many years ago. I was also not a fan of the OG 303’s sequencer either, but liked it better than the MC-202’s. I consider the sequencers on both machines as happy-accidents sequencers.

1 Like

i did have to get the manual out to program the sh01a and those manuals are terrible …
but once i got it done and triggering the steps from another box for quirkyness , its all good.

if they put ‘hey , new sequencer thats better than a 202!!’ , it would’ve been funny at least…
i still think , in the recesses of my brain , i should just give up and get a proper 101 and 202 , at least i know what i’m getting and not getting … and theres no waiting round for bug fixes.
those prices though :frowning:
(ive got sh01a , manther , system1 with 101 plugout and system 1m for my near 101 emulations , how many more do i ‘need’ ) and lush + other vst/au/ios plugins.

Yeah, I have to agree. Super easy to sequence and use generally. A few menu pages, a few shift features…all easy to find and intuitive. I do wish there were some more save features like saving a particular sound(patch) and then using that in a new sequence. Found a few bugs too but I’m aware there’s a firmware update soon so haven’t reported anything yet. Fantastic synth - I’m having tonnes of fun with it.

In a fight for the snappiest envelop and closest 101 sound, who would win? Atlantis or manther?

sh101 will always win the closest sound to a 101.

if you mean sh01a and Manther , right now i’d say sh01a.
unless you want to buy my Manther … then its the Manther ‘with an upcoming firmware’ although i cant guarantee it will do what you want either.

the wavefolder and parameter / step thing is quite a key thing to the manther but i couldnt in good faith say that there are no issues with manther at the moment … as i said … waiting for firmware update…

1 Like

actually , if you want to buy it pm me.
as new condition , psu , leaflet , no original box. £425 plus shipping.

Oops I am an idiot. …
I wanted to say Atlantis vs Manther
(I have edited my original question)

1 Like

in that case i have no idea , youd need to dig into youtube / muffwigglers for more info.
i’d guess atlantis right now , i think the firmware update is due to add more envelope options for manther.

1 Like

I’ve got my beloved 202 on eBay right now, 450 free postage so get over there!!!
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-MC-202-MICRO-COMPOSER-Analog-Synthesizer-Sequencer-MC202-Great-condition/123307644327?hash=item1cb5b555a7:g:DhoAAOSwb1JbcI1A

Has anyone any updates on the BFF or Mr.D lately?

Finally got some time with manther this evening and found it very inspiring after a bit of farting about. Synced up with a dfam, with a Lyra 8 for pads, all very hands on. What I liked most about manther
Sounds good
Very versatile for sound manipulation
Easy to play with sequence

Less liked
Slight lag on sliders but got used to it
Some sliders have relatively small sweet spot

Overall it works for me as someone who just starts everything and experiments. As usual didn’t bother to press record.

Check you’ve got the Morph knob right down at zero. otherwise this will affect slider lag

1 Like

and clear it also , just in case you’ve recorded it into the sequencer but have no way of finding out as theres no indication of it.

Good points, I never got to the motion recording much, but did find taking gate out to dfam ext in did some interesting stuff. Had everything going into mixer with stereo reverb on Lyra sitting underneath everything - sound somewhere between a string section, vocal choir, or pack of wolves. Manther and dfam doing quite punchy rhythmic stuff. Nice blend of sounds.
Will get to the morph and glide ce soir. Cheers

So maybe it’s obvious but when I tried to slave the manther to tr8, I couldn’t get it to send analogue clock to dfam. Only worked with tr8 slaved to manther. This is ok except it means manther has to be master for any setup. Still, the manther dfam combo works well.

when you change the manther to the right midi setting i did a reset just hit the power and back on . then it worked fine and still dose.

1 Like

Yes that was a good tip, and fine if Manther is slaved. My experience though is that if you do that, then Manther doesn’t send clock via patch cables - ie slaved to tr8 I couldn’t get it to send clock to the advance step input on DFAM. When I made manther master then it was fine - tr8 slaved with clock to dfam and a wonderful time was had by all. I see problems with this when I intend to use OT as master.
At any rate the manther has really grown on me after a quiet start.

There is lot of negativity over at muff wiggler forum about manther, my is on its way, i am happy some one likes it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like mine too. I’m not parting with it (as commented on MW) and hopefully the new firmware will come sooner than later. But I’m really enjoying it. It has a few bugs. I haven’t experienced all the problems people have listed and it’s very usable now and I can get some great patterns going on it. You’ll enjoy it and just remember they’ve promised an “awesome update” (their words)

2 Likes