Make Noise 0-coast

Actually, I mentioned to a buddy my first impressions, and that about 5mins into my first messing about with it, I was already thinking:

“I might need 2 of these…I mean, why wouldn’t I just get 4?”

2 Likes

With the Din to 3.55mm there, it’s a male Din and the Usb midi interfaces are also male Din, how would you connect them?

Another novice question maybe… Are cv patch cables just the same as audio cables? To patch the O-Coast into something with 1/4 cv in would I just use one of the 3.5mm patch cables and connect a jack adapter at one end?

You would use a midi cable between the adapter and whatever you wished to connect it to.
With cv, mono cables are mono cables so you can put a Jack plug to change sizes yes, no problem or you can buy dedicated mini to large mono cables…

3 Likes

CV cables are just standard mono audio cables, yes

2 Likes

My usb midi interface has female connections

No I’m not gonna say it…

2 Likes

So a genuinely curious question:

That would run one 2k, right? So that’s a shared system amount. Does one see an advantage to paying for 4 Ocoasts as opposed to, say, a Cartesian?

I for one would not think so as 4 Ocoasts would not give you anywhere near the same depth. Having 4 OSC is certainly nice, but not as essential as modulation/sequencing.

Shared system is over £3k but I agree, I’d just save the extra and go for that.

I’m thinking of getting the System Concrete somewhere down the line, the strange thing I’ve noticed with the Make noise systems is that if you add up all the values of the individual modules and powered skiff, it actually works out cheaper than buying the whole system. I don’t really understand this.

1 Like

My bad. I mistook the idea of “shared system” as a general term for “system”. I did not mean the actual Shared System…I meant the Cartesian or Concrete.

Maybe it includes the labor costs of setting it up.

I’ve had this for a month and a half now. Really great sounding. I wish more reviewers and demoers would focus on its musical side. As a synth for midrangey arpeggios it’s exceptional. It has a fruity, plucky character that stands out in a mix. I have not used it for bass because my A4 normally does this duty.

A couple of points though.

1. Form factor is initially really appealing. Fun to hold in your hands as you unbox it. However, after several weeks I’m finding this really awkward to place in my studio. The size and profile are simply so unusual it’s hard to find something to sit it next to. I have had to move everything around two or three times to acommodate it and I’m still not happy. Maybe someone can come up with a clever easel or modified iPad stand. Or what about an arm like a desk lamp?
  2. Placement of power connector is deeply awkward and contributes to inability to find a permanent spot for this on desk. It sort of has to sit to the left of other devices. A power connector on the rear left of the device combined with an elbow plug power adaptor would have helped.
  3. Weird accessories. The included audio cable is a bizarre format. What did they think we were going to plug this into? And again, the power adaptor with its straight plug and short cable run is awkward at best.
1 Like

This - although I’ve also been using it for bass and it sounds superb. To be honest, I think it’s a little bit limited for the “experimental” stuff, but as a weird mono synth it rules.

One of those synths that bring a smile to my face even as I demo it in the store. Sounds lovely out of the box, and with some kind of external clock (square wave LFO will do) even better. And the price is great for a Make Noise product.

Guys. GUYS. I am trying to think about other people this holiday season.

3 Likes

yeah I use the square wave LFO from the System 1M on mine.

For me it fits perfectly on a laptop stand right below the Mother-32. I like the fact the 0-Coast does not have audio/Midi/power coming out of its rear, which makes it easier to position.

3 Likes

What do you mean? Its length? I agree it’s quite short. Otherwise I can’t see what you wouldn’t plug it into. It’s a standard 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cable, which is precisely what you need.

Slight caveat to that is that mine broke about a week after having it, but that was ok because I needed a longer one.

I picked one of these up yesterday. I’m using it with my Octatrack. It’s 'effing amazing. I’m thinking about deleting all my samples from the OT and just feed it with the 0-Coast. Really love it. I use the Cue Outs into outboard effects and THRU machine to OT effects esp filter and it’s amazing. Haven’t worked out midi learn yet though.

4 Likes

It’s unusably short, true, but it’s also a mono mini TS to 1/4" TRS cable. Plug it into something with balanced inputs, you’ll see what I mean :wink:

It’s a problem that’s solvable for under $10, but it’s still a decision I can’t quite get my head 'round…

We obviously got different cables because mine’s TRS to TRS

Mine is TRS to TRS too and is utterly useless. Left in box and put in attic. Got TS to TS cables on eBay, much better.

As for the form factor, I do agree to an extent, it works much better as a standalone unit, fitting it in with other gear can be a little awkward, mainly thanks to the straight power jack on the side. A right angled connection would be much better.