Make Noise 0-coast

Just got a Korg SQ1 last week. A match made in heaven!

1 Like

See if there’s also something musical to make. So far it’s drone, buzz, bleep things only … nice :slight_smile: but in that case more like one (or few trick) pony to me.

The nocoast has more tricks than a field of ponies :wink:

The way I see this little beast, the musical side of the 0-Coast is there, but only a part of it :smile:
While experimenting is where the fun is.
You could patch it and play it like a monosynth, and get quite some interesting output.
But you would have more fun getting some very wild textures, thus blips and other buzz :tongue:

It’s definitely on my list !

2 Likes

Route the output from 0-Coast to Analog Four/Keys track as oscillator source and you have a really fat tone that you can shape further with A4/AK filters and effects. You can achieve some very good and musical sounds that way.

[quote=“benway, post:69, topic:16955”]http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-mono-plug-to-635mm-mono-socket-adapter-rw02c
[/quote]

Got mine, it’s exceeding expectations in every way - sequencing from the A4, through live / reaktor via midi, and a combination of both. In case anyone’s interested, the connectors above work fine with my stereo to two mono jack leads.

Sounds great … whether it’s blipping and blooping or making solid lead/bass/drone patches. Recommended for sure.

Yeah, it can carry off the experimental stuff with no problems, but imho the real fun is in dialing in musical patches, it really excels as a weird and unique sounding monsynth. Only had the weekend to play with it, but I think that’s actually the strongest of its many tricks. It has a really distinct and for me pleasing character, totally distinct from my subtractive monosynths, as well as neat tricks like looping the slope generator and playing it as another oscillator … as well as tonnes of other stuff. This is the demo that sold me on it:

11 Likes

Yep… this is ear candy

it can be very musical, but it’s true that experimentation is too fun to resist. I ordered some stackable patch cables to open up more possibilities.

1 Like

Stackables are great, but these do the same thing, give you more outputs, and are probably a bit safer to use than using a few stackables on a single jack. I use stackables too (particularly handy with a densely packed module like Mannequins Cold Mac), but those little headphone splitters accomplish the same goal…and they’re considerable cheaper.

cool. Thanks for the tip. I am slightly bothered by the high price of the tip top stackables. Sure, they have designed a nice cable, but no doubt the markup is way high. I notice that all retailers have the same price on them too. No discounts! I imagine the retailers don’t make much margin on them. Upside is that the price is the same regardless of the length. $5 or $6 each would be more reasonable.

That’s interesting, just wondering though … seems like the adaptor is stereo? Any issues using it for CV purposes? Was also going to get a few stackables, but that looks like a nice alternative.

Just got mine and quickly did the obvious!

https://soundcloud.com/the-pmo/obligatory0-coast-drone

Very fun!

2 Likes

They work fine. Another wiggler recommended these ones to me. It does come with a little stereo cable, but I’ve had no issues using them for CV. I’ve got another cheap headphone splitter, but that one doesn’t work as well, as it has serious signal loss once you connect more than 3 output cables to it. But I’d recommend these splitters for your CV mult needs for sure.

Sounds like Hendrix in a good way :slight_smile: Why not play guitar instead?

Funny you mention that because I thought the same thing at certain points. It bodes well for the intentions I had for it. I was looking for something that would do things that were drastically different from everything else I have. From the short session I had, this seems to have that in spades! Both from a sound and from a modulation standpoint. It really is neat and it will be interesting to see how long it takes for me to wrap my head around it. This is my first steps into modular and I think it will be effective in restraining my GAS?!

I’ve been trying to find out whether arpeggiator patterns are stored in the 0-Coast between sessions or if they are lost when powered off - if anyone could let me know I’d be really happy as nothing in the manual or in anything I’ve found online confirms this one way or another.

As far as I can recall, they are lost, but I can test when I’m next at home.

Thanks - I thought that might be the case.

Hahaha… I suspect quite the opposite. You’ll just want to mate it with things.

1 Like

True this! :money_mouth: