Make Noise 0-coast

Thanks. So is this all I would need then?

No this is not a midi interface from what I can tell.
You will need a USB to midi interface. Something like this below.
If you have an audio interface it may have a midi interface built in.
I donā€™t have an O Coast but think it comes with a 3.5mm to midi din breakout cable?
You will need to connect this breakout cable to the O Coast then connect your separate USB to midi interface from your computer into this midi breakout cable.

2 Likes

one of these USB midi interfaces:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastlaneUSB

AND,

one of these din midi to 3.5mm plug:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/24-15231?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&scid=scplp7092925&sc_intid=24-15231&gclid=CjwKEAiAr4vBBRCG36e415-_l1wSJAAatjJZOajCImTUhHYjmM6qnqcsZ-84B-tRiDzEr1b3i87pIhoCo__w_wcB

1 Like

Thanks

Just got my 0C today. After a while I am getting the hang of this type of synthesis. It seems to be all about the harmonics. Fun! Hereā€™s a quick jam I made with the AR. I havenā€™t figured out if, or how I can sync these two boxes. The pads on the RYTM work great to trigger the 0C in chromatic mode especially, but no other midi is output, so you have to make do. I might want a small midi pad controller so I can free up my pads for performance mode. I need to experiment more with this setup and learn some new ways to configure each device.

https://youtu.be/wfiijFRBlHk

1 Like

There must be a MIDI 5-pin to minijack cable sold with the 0-coast.

• plug AR MIDI out to a standard MIDI cable
  • plug this MIDI cable to the former MIDI-> jack cable
  • set AR MIDI conf to send clock
1 Like

You can also use a pulse Out into the tempo if you fancy some wonky clocking.

2 Likes

You could also use an impulse machine in the AR to trigger the Contour or Slope.

The 0-Coast is shipped with a MIDI to minijack breakout cable.

2 Likes

Edit: you could trigger the Slope.

1 Like

So you would use the separate outs for this I suppose? I love this ideaā€¦
This 0-Coast should soon be mine as well :smile:

1 Like

Yeah using the separate outs from the Rytm to trigger various inputs on the 0-Coast can lead to all sorts of nutty experimentation.
Iā€™ve had both my nocoasts for a couple of months and Iā€™ve yet to use the midi on either.
If you get into the manual you can also use midi b as a triangle and square lfo for extra modulation, mindbending stuff.
And the sound? Holy guacamoleā€¦

2 Likes

Yes you would use the separate outs. I have both and the idea only just occurred to me. Now I just really want to get back home to try it. You could also use the MD if you donā€™t have the AR. Could be wild.

Right :slight_smile:

One thing though : you wonā€™t go up to 10V with AR separate outs (or it would most likely damage the inputs of the PA system you would use in a normal configuration).
If itā€™s only for giving clock it should be OK, but you should not be able to reach the highest value for Contour/Slope CV inputs, if my understanding is correct.

In that caseā€¦ I wonā€™t try it! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for tips. I have the midi hooked up, but it only works to play the pads. I planned on trying to trigger in other ways. Just clock is all I wanted to use, but there might be other tricks I would use.

For the clock, GLOBAL MENU / MIDI CONFIG / MIDI SYNC / CLOCK SEND -> activate
:wink:

Thanks, but it doesnā€™t work. I think there may be a setting in the 0C that will make it work as hoped.

Doepfer A183-3 DC amplifier :wink:
That might do the trick to trig.

Although I think the 0-coast is a fun box to experiment with, real controllable power is to be released when using a proper CV sequencer.
Patch it up!

2 Likes

here is a demo of the arpeggiator function using the AR pads to trigger midi notes.

1 Like