Make Noise 0-coast

I was considering this vs a Mother 32 or the Pittsburgh one as my 1st semi-modular piece of kit. On paper this one seems the most interstesting and I can’t imagine the Mother 32 adding that much to the palet that my Sub 37 can’t cover. I’m not that sold on the sound of the 0-Coast from any demos that I’ve heard yet, all seem a bit samey and nasaly.

I know demos aren’t all that great to go by, I thought most of the Sub 37 demos sounded like shit but I loved it in the end. I could also use the filter of that on the 0-Coast I guess, anyone had any hands on experience with these?

I don’t know the extent by which the Sub 37 can modulate external gear. The selling point of any of these would be, of course, a wide variety of modulation sources. The M32 would certainly not add that much in terms of timbre, though I have heard people say it sounds different from the SUB 37/Phattys. But presuming the Sub can’t modulate external gear, it would add A LOT in terms of modulation

The 0-Coast certainly has that buoyant, West Coastesque timbre. I tried it for a bit and I didn’t ever get it shiny and polished…not to say it can’t, I just didn’t. You should def try it. The selling point for me, anyway, is, while an additional timbre to my arsenal, it provides a small yet efficient package of different methods of modulation.

If the Sub can modulate external gear I would say to by-pass these and set yourself up with a small rack of modules doing things the Sub can’t do with an OSC that you can get yourself into.

That’s exactly how i feel about it.

I really wanted to like the 0 Coast, but i just prefer the classic sound of my Mother 32’s.

:grinning: I’m in the exact opposite place. I’m thinking of giving up my M32 because I’m tired of the Moog sound :joy:

Moral of the story? YMMV

1 Like

No, the Sub 37 doesn’t have any CV outs. I don’t really have any Modular gear yet but I do have some Effects with CV in like the Knas Ekdahl and a Moogerfooger, I really want something that can do things like modulate the filter on the Knas.

So yea you’re right, the real thing I want here is a source of CV modulation than can sync to midi, so thats what made me sway towards the 0-Coast more over the M32 because it gives me that and also a differnt style of synth voice, the voice just doesn’t appeal to me from the demos.

I might try it out though, most places have a 14 day return period, putting it through a filter might give some extra scope there too.

Dope stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgv1lQ3pKJI

Finally got around to ordering this today. Excited, I’ll have to admit.

One question, what are people using for CV cables from the Analog Four? I generally use a stereo to two mono jack cable for my other synths, thinking about just getting some 1/4" to mini jack adapters for and clipping them on to my current cables as and when needed… thoughts?

1 Like

I use the Grayscale Synapse module as the cv splitter from my AK.
Works great and has handy LEDs for feedback of cv signal.

Cool, thanks. Trying to avoid getting properly addicted to modular is the only thing, hoping that the 0-Coast on its own will be enough to stop the cravings (although I’ll bear the Grayscale in mind for when I inevitably break and by myself a skiff). Was more thinking along the lines of getting a couple of these to attach to my stereo to dual mono jack cable - which already works fine between my A4 and Sub Phatty / Mopho.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-mono-plug-to-635mm-mono-socket-adapter-rw02c

The 0Coast will not be enough to stop the lust. I am dying to add more stuff to utilize with the 0Coast.

3 Likes

I bought a second 0-Coast after recently going modular, kind of wished I just bought 4 0-Coasts and then a small skiff.
It is an incredibly slippery slope to the modular abyss, tread carefully!

The 0-Coast is so good I really hope Make Noise, er, make more in the same format.
Not interested in subtractive synthesis anymore! Got the t-shirt somewhere in the wash.

Anyone know of any stores I can watch this season who have had reliable holiday deals and who sell 0-Coasts?

So how would you classify the O-coast, as additive synthesis? I’m seriously thinking about getting one just to mess around with.

It is hard to pigeon-hole as there are a few techniques at play, it’s a mix hence the name but it’s so much more than that angle.
It’s not subtractive in that you don’t filter out unwanted elements, it’s additive in that you may start with a triangle and then add overtones and multiply.
It has lfos and envelopes that are recognisable but far more useful as they can be audio sources too.
It’s bloody bonkers to be honest but in a fantastically rewarding and inspiring way, it’s a breath of fresh air that until buying I never knew I needed!

Trawl the YouTube vids, particularly the Make Noise ones and you’ll see it’s a beauty. There are so many ways to use it the more you explore, to be honest I think it’s easily one of the top 5 devices I’ve used over the years.
If I had the money I’d add another 2 to my 2 and then just rock them all with the OT.
It is far more than it looks and soon enough you’ll realise the design behind it is pure and utter genius.
I’d be suspicious of anyone who didn’t like it!

Buy it and if you don’t get on you can send it my way…

1 Like

I need to stop looking at this thread :neutral_face:

4 Likes

No it’s not additive synthesis, that is something completely different.

The O Coast, or No Coast as it also known, is referring to its design roots in the United States, lying somewhere in between east coast subtractive synthesis pioneered by Robert Moog and west coast synthesis pioneered by Donald Buchla.

They designed their gear back in the day with 2 different mindsets, Moog with his more conventional subtractive synthesis approach seen on the majority of synthesisers produced to this day, and Buchla with a much more experimental and non traditional approach seen extensively today in the modern modular synthesisers for example.

A traditional west coast synthesiser didn’t contain any filter modules, as apposed to Moog’s design virtually built around his legendary filter, hence the term subtractive, this filter subtracting from the sound source.

The O Coast is supposed to be designed in between both camps, the best of both worlds in a very small footprint. Really cool synth with a lot of power for its size.

2 Likes

I was looking into stepping into modular, and through my research learned of this thing. I only buy stuff now that is different from my other synths, and this surely qualified and appears to have a lot of value for the money. So I pulled the trigger on one and it will arrive tomorrow. I mainly plan on using it with a keyboard, but look forward to seeing what it can do on it’s own as well since this will be my first taste of west coast style synthesis.

I’m thinking of picking up an 0-Coast, I’ve just sold my OT though to fund Push 2 and some other gear (I’m half regretting my decision) especially now that I consider I’d need something to sequence to 0-Coast, it just hasn’t been getting a lot of use recently).
Is it possible to sequence the 0-Coast from Ableton via USB? I’ve currently got Ableton sending clock to the AR via OB and AR as master to other gear. I’m gonna integrate Push 2 with this. Anyone any advice on how would I fit the 0-Coast in with this?

0-coast has midi input (via mini-jack) as well as cv pitch/gate, so you should be good to go with sequencing via Ableton.

Yes no probs sequencing via midi in