Make Noise 0-coast

Mine sits inside a flight case in front of my eurorack and is to all intents and purposes integrated into the system, but with a separate power supply.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Has anyone here had any quality issues with their 0-COAST?

Since yesterday Iā€™m getting a lot of noise and crackling. I started noticing it when I was playing long notes with high sustain. First it was just the occasional crackle but now itā€™s almost constant noise. The patch was nothing complicated. Keystep cv to gate and pitch and square wave into slope trigger.

Iā€™ve emailed tech support at Make Noise. They asked me some questions but itā€™s weekend now so I suspect I wonā€™t hear from them for another couple of days.

Fortunately I bought it in May this year so warranty should still be valid.

Hereā€™s a video of the issue using the simple drone patch from the manual:

It doesnā€™t really look like the problem from your fiddling but I would still say to try a different patch cable and audio out cable, I was surprised to have one of the cables that came with my 0-ctrl to already be a bit spotty. Defective cables can be a real head scratcher for sure.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried with multiple patch cables and headphones as well as the cable in the video. Unfortunately I donā€™t think cables are the problem. Iā€™m just gonna have to return my 0-coast. Hopefully they have a spare in stock for me.

Im not an expert but if itā€™s not a patch cable, ot could be a damaged contact or a lot of dust. I had this kind of noise this week with my moog minitaure, it was one of the adat cable loosely pluged to the audio interface.
Please share here make noise trouble shooting (is it off topic?) im curious and it might be very helpfull in the right noisey moments :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unbeknownst to me the store I bought it from actually offers a three year free warranty which I would say is rare here in Japan. So I sent it back to them for repair this morning. Iā€™m a bit worried it will take a long ass time.

Iā€™ll try to ask them what was wrong with it when I get it back.

2 Likes

For the curious here is a fun patch using two 0-Coast and a Serge TKB :

3 Likes

I love my 0-Coast! Canā€™t wait to pair it with my newly acquired Digitakt!

Hereā€™s a multi-tracked 0-coast based song (3 0-Coast parts + drums and pads sequenced in Logic Pro X), I made it in 5/4 because why not?

13 Likes

I keep pulling weird new sounds out of this thing all the time. Itā€™s great with pedals. Going through a TC Quintessence (octave up + down), EQD Space Spiral and HoF2 verb here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I miss my 0coast. Currently in a box in my brothers shed 2000km away. Been sitting there for a year
Coolest synth Iā€™ve ever bought. Sounds unreal through the Strymon el Decoā€¦ that is also in the same box :sob:

2 Likes

One more 0-Coast vs Serge TKB action patch over here :slight_smile:

Are these your videos? I recently got a 0-Coast and itā€™s fast becoming my favourite synth of all time. So much so that Iā€™m seriously thinking of getting a second one for cross patching. This video series is the only one I can find that shows two 0-Coasts working in tandem. Iā€™m curious to find out more!

3 Likes

:+1: glad you like your 0 coast.
I shouldnā€™t have sold mine. It covers all whatā€™s fun about modular in a tiny box and sounds great in every possible setting

1 Like

Get another one! I could quite happily make music for days on end using just a 0-Coast and a sampler. In fact, Iā€™m already (in my head) planning on writing an EP doing just that.

4 Likes

good plan :slight_smile:

yeah Iā€™m just sorting out what I want my set up to look like in near future.
It has to be less grooveboxes with pattern savingā€¦ Iā€™m in ā€œtoooo collected many patterns to finish into tracks hellā€. It will cost me years :see_no_evil:

0 coast + another semimodular without any options to save anything is very much considered.

2 Likes

What semi-modular would you consider pairing with a 0-Coast? I looked up the Grandmother, Pico System III, and DFAM, but nothing seems as good as just another 0-Coast so far.

1 Like

Oh there are many nice ones :slight_smile:
The grandmother would be desirable mainly because of its nice sound and overall haptic for me.
The pittsburgh sv1 - because of sound but even more because it has so many utilities that make patching more flexible
The pittsburgh microvolt seems to sound great as well, has also west coasty features.

Moog DFAM and Subharmonicon might be most unique though. They have their own unique, different approach I think. I owned the DFAM, and itā€™s really really fun. And these moogs sound great.
So probably one of those two.

2 0 coasts would be great as wellā€¦
In the process of getting another semimodular you will most likely consider a small rack of eurorack modules instead :slight_smile: My advice, go for the semimodular :wink:

4 Likes

Pittsburghs Voltage Lab 2 is on its way. Probably awhile off yet thoughā€¦

4 Likes

I forget, do you not have any other modular?

I was going to recommend getting a moogerfooger lowpass filter to accompany the 0-Coast, but I guess they stopped making them and now the second hand prices are as much as a second 0-coast. I really like the classic moog filter when it is self oscillating and being modulated by the slope circuit at audio rates. Also the moogerfooger has an envelope follower which is just tons of fun.

A DFAM or Subharmonicon are decent options since they include the classic moog filter. You can break the normaling of the default path and there are lots of tools for cross patching. Also you can plop the moog semimodulars into the 4ms pod cases and they sit flat like the 0-coast, so everything is proportional.

1 Like