Make Noise 0-coast

None. And I’m almost thinking a full modular system would be too much, not only money wise but also in terms of productivity. What I really love about the 0-Coast is its relative limitations. Patch a sound, sample it, move on. It’s going to feed an OT. Speed is the essence.

Edit: I’ve been through the DFAM mind melting thread. It’s cool, but it’s not really my style of music (techno, that is), so I’ve resisted it. 0-Coast is so bassy, weird, and wonderful that it works in chopped up hip hop perfectly. Am I right in thinking DFAM is more suited to four on the floor? The sequencer seems to force that style of music.

3 Likes

That’s partially why I love the moogerfooger lowpass filter. The resonant low pass filter is the one classic circuit omitted from the 0-Coast, and try as I might the OT’s filters were not a substitute.

1 Like

Yeah, but also the semi modular design allows for reconfiguring the synth to your needs. There was a long period where I wasn’t “using” the 0-coast, but I patched with it all the time and used it as a midi-cv converter. Think of the DFAM or Subharmonicon as packages of modules and less as stand alone devices.

3 Likes

I have a DFAM and a Subharmonicon to go with my 0-Coast , all sequenced by an A4 (actually I have a Grandmother, too, but it’s harder to crosspatch as I’d need longer cables :slight_smile:). It’s a great setup, very flexible.

No, it has an 8 step sequencer and is designed as percussion/drum synth so obviously you can use it for 4 on the floor and it excels at that kind of thing, but it’s pretty flexible. I use it for making weird noises almost as much as I use it for drums, and the sequencer is pretty handy if you want to use it to sequence or modulate something else (eg on the 0-coast). And as you can use the clock/adv input to clock it, so you don’t have to send it a regular beat and can make any kind of rhythm you want.

3 Likes

no not at all. It’s just good at it so people use it for that. But it’s very flexible and unique. Especially for weird stuff, but also great basslines and various percussion

1 Like

exactly

1 Like

I love cross-patching my DFAM and 0-Coast! They’re both such unique voices that you can get some wild stuff going between them.

If I wanted to make hip-hop, I’d create patches on the DFAM/0-C, then sample/chop/sequence on a Digitakt or MPC or some other box. Of course, the DFAM has no genre limitations except for the fact that it’s an 8-step sequencer that doesn’t swing unless you trigger it externally.

2 Likes

Nice one. It’s the lack swing/microtiming that puts me off it as a sequencer. BTW, I have an AR MKII so I’ve been sending swing or microtimed impulses to 0-Coast for clock, so I’m going to carry on with that, back it up with more standard AR drum sounds, and use OT for capturing perfect loops. If I can override DFAM’s straight sequencer in a similar fashion, it can be a contender too. I’ll hunt down some YouTube videos to see what’s possible :slight_smile:

Edit: I see Adv/Clock input. Also mentioned above. Perfect!

Nice one

How do you find sending impulses to the clock of the 0-Coast?

I don’t have a 0-Coast but I have a Lifeform sv1 from Pittsburgh Modular but I have only explored the midi control

You can override the DFAM’s sequencer by sending clock to the ADV/CLOCK input. I use it for recording. I created a Logic template with a click track that I send to an output on my interface, so it’s easy to add swing from there. Perhaps you can do something similar with your Elektron boxes? I’m not familiar with those… I only have DT.

2 Likes

I’m still experimenting. But you can send impulses or other audio signals to multiple different places. It’s so fun seeing what happens.

1 Like

a little example. Used the A4 to trigger it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqaVshChYdG/?igshid=nenqceh7g0kl

2 Likes

uh oh. I’m gonna need a bigger desk.

3 Likes

You will actually it’ll be bigger than VRL1.

2 Likes

Yes those are my videos. It’s always great fun playing with two 0-Coast, we done it with my Wired Brain partner in a few videos.

2 Likes

Awesome! If you wouldn’t mind, could you outline some of the things that can be done with two that aren’t possible with one? For instance, I’m thinking of using one unit mainly to modulate the other at audio rates, having more options with two different random output generators affecting each other, and possibly using them as two separate voices (slightly detuned, or a fifth apart, stereo, etc etc).

1 Like

This chat is making me want to finally get an 0-Coast to go with the dfam and a4!

2 Likes

I love my 0-Coast, it’s the first (and only) piece of (semi)modular gear I’ve owned and it’s a breath of fresh air. Everything’s an oscillator if you patch it right :slight_smile:
I’ve been eyeing up a DFAM for a while now as potential patch partner, crosspatching those sounds like recipe for a lot of fun and noise.

3 Likes

Also, for those who don’t have a decent way of controlling 0-Coast, a cheapish, awesome option is the SH-01A. Not only do you get basic CV, Gate, and Arp, but you can add portamento (via the dedicated knob) and pitch wobbles (by using the LFO on VCO MOD). You can also use the built-in sequencer, ofc. Notes can also be supplied from a computer via USB – I’ve been sending arps over from Bitwig this way. The TUNE knob is also great for sudden drops/rises, too. And finally, you can send clock back to the SH-01A’s EXT CLK IN to control the triggering of chords and basslines :raised_hands:

13 Likes

yeah nice combo. would be great for me as well