Make Noise 0-coast

I bought mine used and it didn’t come with any audio adapters, just the midi DIN to 1/8" TRS adapter, power, and about 5 patch cables. Nice that they are including a right angle adapter.

hi, the quality of the knobs is good?

Strange question: what would be something like an 0-Coast sound, but with presets (e.g. SysEx)?

In my opinion yes. I don’t like the big tune knob, which feels too volatile, but the rest have a nice feel.

2 Likes

I can’t think of anything except digital music easel emulations which sound similar-ish.

Look for something with wave folding.

1 Like

Not sure if you mean hardware or software. Software-wise https://madronalabs.com/products/aalto maybe?

1 Like

On iPad, RippleMaker is close.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking of hardware, but that is very nice :slight_smile:

I tried to emulate it with my Nord G2, and i can come very close soundwise (it has a nice waveshaper), but the snappyness and control of the contour & slope is hard to emulate.

3 Likes

There’s that or the Bucha Easel arturia did. It’s very similar to above bit it sounds a bit more like a machine. It’s a million miles away from the old arturia stuff.

On top of that I’d keep on eye on the Softube Modular stuff. They’ve slowly brought out a lot of premium modules, they do have a Buchla one but it’s more the Softube Modular itself.

I think a lot of people who be suprised at how good it sounds, a lot better then the free one, VCV. It uses a lot of CPU and you have to pay for extra modules. Though.

2 Likes

0-Coast owners: Are there hidden synthesis functions only accessible via MIDI? Or is everything accessible on the front panel?

There are button combinations to access everything. However, it’s way easier with MIDI.

Edit: @Six06 - check out pg. 13 of the manual. I think it’s addressing your question. http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/0-coast_manual.pdf

2 Likes

Hello.

Sorry mi ignorance but this modular world is esoteric for a beginner as me. But my question is if i can use the make noise 104hp powered skiff to power and set the 0-Coast and the 0-Control (both from MN of course).

Thank you in advance.

The short answer is unfortunately no; the longer more complex one is that while the 0-Coast (and perhaps the 0-Ctrl) is eurorack-sized and can be taken out of its case to fit into a rack, it cannot easily accept the skiff’s power, so would have to still use the external PSU.

2 Likes

as above… yeah, it’s doable. but you may not want to do it. you can use the built in power outlet and buy an adaptor to plug it into a case for power. then you just need a blank panel. or you can mod even further and solder in power connections, etc…

personally I wish they would’ve made both this and the 0-CTRL adaptable to euro, without voiding your warranty. but, what can you do? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

+1 for Softube Modular. You can definitely get very close to 0-Coast with that sonically, especially with the Intelligel wavefolder module in place. And it sounds great.
I’d still love an actual 0-Coast though :wink:

I’m still hoping for a MK2 that is Eurorackable; a bit like a Mother 32 or SV1. It’d be great to have the complete synth voice ready to go

well and they sell cases and plenty of other modules. if the 0-C boxes are entry into euro world for most people, you’d think they’d wanna feed that, right?

1 Like

Absolutely. It’s the one thing that makes me hesitate getting hold of one. They sound so good and integrate really well in a larger system but having it stuck as an external desktop module would seem a shame.
Having said that Polypores often has an 0-Coast stuck in front of his Eurorack case and it doesn’t seen to bother him…

1 Like