Make Noise 0-coast

It’s as much a puzzle as an instrument, but a puzzle that encourages you to think so differently. It looks at you right back.
It’s so well thought out that it’s astonishing, they should have named it the Iceberg!
Ridiculous footprint to function ratio!
I’ve not even touched the midi or arp yet!

4 Likes

Easily one of the funnest machines I own. Paired with the Op-1 and Organelle I have an unending sound palette of digital and analog experimentation in front of me.

1 Like

Made this in the first 1 hour out of the box:)

http://soundcloud.com/alume-music/tun-kata/s-pxAbI

6 Likes

I will have to look at doing something similar with A4 CV LFOs… thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Thinking of getting a Korg SQ-1 to play with it, currently sequencing with Ableton and sometimes my Sub 37. Would the SQ1 be a much more intuitive way to sequence it? I’ve never used cv sequencing.

Same here… hovering around SQ-1 as well. My only issue with it is no pattern memory. I’d love to be able to save at least 4 sequences for live shows.

2 Likes

I’d recommend Arturia’s Beatstep Pro for the 0-Coast, the SQ-1 is fun but it has some serious limitations when you get into it, check this before you add to basket!

^scroll down to the negatives…

Nice use of the linear FM input there

2 Likes

There are certainly negatives, but the fact it is a straight MIDI to CV converter is often overlooked and a huge fillip

1 Like

There is that but the 0-Coast has 2 of them built in!
I’m talking purely in context with the Make Noise slab.

1 Like

Agreed that purely for the 0-Coast the BS Pro is better value. But depending on what other gear you have the SQ-1 is a useful tool to have hanging around - not least because it is palm-sized and battery powered.

Yeah I agree with you, overall…

why dont these demo people make something sound at least musical rather than this blipping chin stroking noise? namm wasnt exiting due to most bases now having been covered over the last few years hardware wise… so we now get reissue mpc bullcrap and bleepy semi mod bridge gaps making sure each pocket is now attracted. to anyone that likes laid back dub style techno as i do, this type of thing is pure hell to the ears

In my opinion there are enough demos of the 0-coast that are musical. Considering what this thing is able to do, I’m happy to hear other and more experimental stuff out of it than dub style techno. Not saying, that it can’t do that well, too.

by all means, post one to me… i research and buy loads of gear… and yes if i owned that id make some good sounds… the point i am making is ‘why dont the demo people do it’

1 Like

There is a wide variety of gear available. None of it, I can assure you, is developed and marketed with irritating you personally as one of its goals.

Besides, what defines ‘musical’?

1 Like

no, many developers send me emails before they release gear and tell me, ‘tom… this ones gonna piss you right off’ — musical as in ‘not modular bleeping’… its a personal taste thing

1 Like

those were already posted. To me, they are very convincing and with musical content.

Those developers are nasty,

Well I suppose most people would consider Ed Sheeran more musical than Russell Haswell, but that’s upside down to me. I suppose if I were looking to make melodic music based around subtractive synthesis I probably wouldn’t be looking at the 0-Coast as the centrepiece of my setup. You can use it that way, sure, but I hardly think it’s where it excels.

As you say, personal taste.

I would agree a lot of demos are rather interesting in the way they choose to show off their gear. Interesting being a euphemism for ‘weird’.