Majella Audio Implexus

I understand it saves manufacturing costs, but as users we actually benefit from the better specifications of internal power supplies. Also, no wall warts.

EDIT: to my pleasant surprise, it arrived today. I just played with it for an hour. All drone, no melody, and me seeing what I kinds of sounds I can just make with it.

100% this.

The interface is fantastic. Easy to get around on, well-spaced and fun to play with. The sound is amazing. You can tell they really spent time calibrating how everything works together. I love having a guitar tuner right on the synth. Great for weirdo FM sweeps and then getting everything back in tune fast. Between all the ways to add harmonics and the delay, there is a bit of a range of volume which might call for a compressor in performance (or a lot of dynamic range) but itā€™s quite functional.

There are a few things I havenā€™t seen noted anywhere else. A plus and a minus. The plus is that the vibrato LFO goes up to audio rates, which means another source of audio-rate modulation. The minus is I think the balanced outputs might be over-engineered. Itā€™s a cool idea, but the instrument canā€™t be exposed to phantom power, which nixes plugging it straight into the balanced inputs any mixer with global phantom power. And they say not to plug in unbalanced cables, so that means I need some TRS to TS cables (I found one with a 1/8" TS so I plugged it into the input of my modular).

This is not your usual demo. This is just me twisting knobs with the thing on drone. Itā€™s pretty noisy, but it shows some of the less ā€œfilter sweep technoā€ texture that it can do. Not that I have anything against filter sweeps. This does strangely have a bit of a SH-101 vibe at some moments even though it is not that.

5 Likes

Replying to myself. Integrating it into my setup. Still no sequencing, though I did have some fun plugging in Linnstrument via an Expert Sleepers FH-2 and sending CVs everywhere (no recording of that though).

This is Maths into Implexus, and then I ran it through a plate reverb in iOS and a Soma Cosmos. I am manually tweaking maths as a complex LFO, switching outputs at one point, and also manually tweaking Cosmos.

4 Likes

And another one. I think with some melody and planning there might be a record in here.

2 Likes

Why is the delay on this thing so good? I put a compressor after it to stretch the echos out for 20ā€“30 seconds, and I swear I spent the weekend just plucking sines on it. Sounds magical.

3 Likes

I keep wondering the same thing about the delay. I was playing the Implexus through my Space Echo in mono the other day. It sounded great, but decided that I liked the built in delay in stereo way more

Iā€™ve been running in mono just because Iā€™m using other stuff, but it does sound glorious in stereo. Very functional delay. I do wish I could choose whether or not to have pitch shifting when I switch the time.

Quiet in here. This morning I finally ran the clock output into the gate input. Easel-like fun.

2 Likes

Best review so far, I thinkā€¦

3 Likes

Today I realized* since 1v/oct is exponential, if you have a precision adder, you can add exponential FM to a 1v/oct input. So I was able to FM the modulation oscillator on my Implexus, which I could then use to FM other things.

I had a few passes, like this one the best even though itā€™s a bit more on the subtle side:

• everyone else in modular probably already knew this.
6 Likes

Just in case someone wants to know, the Analog Cases Pulse Case for the Elektron Octatrack fits the Implexus. I even left my tendrils cables plugged in the back, and put the power cable in front. Itā€™s a tight fit with everything but thatā€™s pretty perfect for a case.

6 Likes

oh cheers ! this is really helpful : Iā€™ve got an Implexus coming next month on a pre-order for the new batch, & Iā€™ll be needing a case for gigs this year, so this is handy info. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a recent jam on Iā€™m plexus, Alphabase, and Digitone. :metal::robot::metal:

3 Likes