MacOS Mojave to Catalina warning

The best decision Windows users can make is just to only buy “home office” laser printers. Simple, small drivers, no all in one bells and whistles, cartridges last for years and years. Mostly as cheap as inkjets, less disposable.

1 Like

Steinberg (Cubase) has said a very definite no to Catalina for now.

1 Like

is there even any reason to update to Catalina? is there something magical about it that will be a better experience for audio people? why is anyone even thinking about updating?

i never update the OS until i have to. i wait at least a year or more… usually i only update when i have to.

1 Like

sidecar looks pretty useful if you have an ipad

3 Likes

:heart:

gonna check this out asap :thup:

Thank you apple, I know but my machine maxes out on Mojave so this pestering is getting tedious, especially when it halts processes !

1 Like

you an actually kill the entire notification center permanently using terminal. just google “kill notification center OS X” or “permanently disable notification center OS X”

i haven’t gotten a notification on my laptop or desktop apple computers since the notification center became a thing. it even disappears from the menu bar.

1 Like

but what good is it if all your audio software is broken?

1 Like

I am still with Sierra… Wondering if, ultimately, High Sierra or Mojave are worth it… Any advice?
What am I missing?

1 Like

high sierra works well as does Mojave. my laptop is frozen on high sierra because the model is not supported in mojave. my desktop runs mojave well.

i think high sierra was a little better than sierra and high sierra is a bit better than mojave for CPU usage/efficiency according to things i’ve read on the internet.

i usually download the new OS but don’t install it so i have access to it later on when an even newer OS comes out. so i can always be one OS behind to insure compatibility if/when apple decides that new version/update of logic is not compatible with the older OS.

1 Like

argh - I read what I wanted to read

I assumed this was a fix for the pestering about 32bit/64bit incompatibilities

It’s not, I won’t be asked about Catalina as I can’t, but it was a fairly painless issue when it was happening before with regards to being reminded to upgrade

The issue with running so many legacy software packages on a machine that will never be upgraded to 64bit only Catalina is that I get badgered about each one on a monthly cycle and it can stop a process - so it is a total pita and of no interest - the point is I know, but there’s nothing that can be done, but still the reminders come every other day !!

ah well, pity

I updated to Catalina last week. Only C6 stopped working (as expected). Everything else has been fine including Live 10, Omnisphere and Komplete 11 Ultimate.

I accidentally wiped my SSD in the process (don’t ask) so an absolutely massive thumbs up to Time Machine which prevented me having to reinstall everything.

High-Sierra was the best to me. It brought a few significant updates, like the new APFS file structure and the Metal 2 library. Whereas Mojave is just annoying. It’s all app warnings and notifications.

If you feel the need to upgrade—and if your machine specs do follow—go for High-Sierra. Then stay there. You’ll be good for a while.

@Segon @ignatius thanks for the input.
Will look into upgrading to High Sierra.

The main thing stopping me from moving across properly, is that Virus TI (plug-in, with audio over USB mode) is broken. Access are aware and are investigating.

Ableton and Cubase are both mostly working.

I have Catalina installed on a separate partition (or under a container).

^^

When I first tried Live 10 on Catalina (beta) a few weeks ago, it looked like it worked fine, except that I would get a crash report because the MIDI computer keyboard driver wasn’t working, and dragging video from outside of the project folder into arrangement view wouldn’t work, because of Catalina’s new security policy.

I switched to Live Beta, but I guess main has been updated by now.

A big Catalina update appeared a couple of days ago. Haven’t noticed anything different though, on the audio applications end of things at least.

1 Like

What are you expecting from a macOS update? I mean, they didn’t “broke” anything, they announced year(s) before that they will cease support for 32-bit applications and whenever you launch a 32-bit app in Mojave, it reminded that this software will not be supported in the future macOS releases, and it’s not supported in Catalina as they warned before.

On the other hand, almost all software companies waited until Catalina being released to start working on their 64-bit versions. You should be expecting these companies to update their software, not Apple.

2 Likes

Apparently, Virus Ti plug-in worked with all the Catalina betas, but was broken on the final release.

There was a slim possibility that the update might have had an effect on that. It’s not just a 32bit / 64bit issue.

ah okay, i get it now. let’s hope it can be fixed from access’s side.

Directed to Elektron really…any updates on Catalina compatibility ? Ive upgraded to Catalina which was entirely my error…however just wondered if there was a time scale as in "imminently " or should I retro grade my Mac to mojave. I have a gig on Nov 20th ??? cheers