MacOS Mojave to Catalina warning

retro grade.

Hereā€™s a bit of info which might be interesting:

It looks like a company called Ploytec provide Elektronā€™s USB audio drivers (or at least did at one point). Theyā€™re also responsible for Accessā€™ Virus TI USB audio drivers.

Over on the Access forum, thereā€™s a guy who claims to work for Apple in CoreAudio, who reckons that Ploytec need to move from a deprecated HAL API to the CoreAudio API set for the new OS. So, if weā€™re lucky, shortly after the work is completed (by the end of 2019 according to Ploytec), if everyone in the development chain is on-the-ball, we should have audio drivers for Catalina for Elektron kit and Virus TI.

Info on Ploytec here:

https://www.usb-audio.com/history/

2 Likes

Maybe these guys can tell me why my coreaudiod crashes all the time :confused:

or why FW interfaces drop out all the time randomly especially after Apple security updates.

ā€¦add thunderbolt :frowning:

1 Like

oh damn really? i read some stuff about certain interfaces doing that but thought itā€™d been fixed (driver issues). but to think the thunderbolt is having similar issues as legacy FW is a bummerā€¦ especially because itā€™s the only option for a lot of apple computers.

my mac pro cheese grater from 2010 is going strong (so far) and i upgraded the video card for $200 (thank fuck for ebay sellers flashing windows cards w/apple firmware) so it runs Mojave well. but i do get intermittent FW/core audio drops here and there. if it was any worse than it is iā€™d think about going w/a pcie solution to squish this problem. so far itā€™s tolerable and hasnā€™t ruined anything.

iā€™ve read about USB3 being rock solid on iMac/iMac pro with USB3 interfaces but thatā€™s useless if youā€™ve got thunderbolt and a bunch of adaptors/converter boxes. wtf apple. get yer shit together.

USB3 is diff from thunderbolt3. Same connector, but different active pins. :confused:

yeah i knowā€¦ USB C USB 3 and on and onā€¦ i think thereā€™s different places on the motherboard for those things as well so things like antelope audio thunderbolt interfaces that also have USB3 at least have an option to switch to USB3 or even USB2 in some cases if the thunderbolt connection is unreliable.

regardlessā€¦ itā€™s a drag and it should all be sorted out by now. itā€™s 2019. wtf.

1 Like

Asking this question here because I donā€™t think it merits its own thread.

Anyone here using Live 9 with Mojave?
Ableton say Live 9 is not fully compatible with Mojave .

Iā€™m wondering what kind of issues, limitations anyone has experienced. I have to update from Sierra to Mojave for some software compatibility at my job, and Iā€™d like to know what to expect, as Iā€™d rather not update to Live 10 just for the sake of compatibility. Iā€™m rather happy with Live 9.7.7

So yea. Is it midi bugs? Some odd screen behavior / ui rendering? Nothing at all?

Do tell.

I havenā€™t upgraded yet because apparently my Apogee Element 88 is not supported on Catalina. A bit disappointing from a company like Apogee that primarily makes interfaces ONLY for MacOS.

i will probably jump on the next macOS update assuming timing for developer to get ready and get rid of everything they can use as 32bits in their dependencies. Canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s Apple bring on the table in mid-2020 as for now the last great update was very the file system APFSā€¦ (and before copy paste from iOS to macOS) When you think of it I remember HFS and Physical HardDrive and honestly I really canā€™t back now I taste SSD + APFS

catalina is phase 1. itā€™s sort of a grace period for developers to get their installers and apps updated and compatible. when the next phase of catalina is released it will be the end of that grace period. iā€™m following some threads on KVR of developers going back and forth about how to sign apps and automate parts of the process and all thatā€¦ and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get things to work in the plug in world. theyā€™re still figuring out how to get it all working in catalina. itā€™s a lot of work for some people.

so, i still wouldnā€™t update. maybe in 6 months or soā€¦ even thenā€¦ iā€™m going to stay at mojave for a long time. it works now and catalina isnā€™t offering me any reason to update.

2 Likes

Audio Edit I love and use Twisted Wave for must have.

I am avoiding upgrade now, thank you.

Good newwwwwsssss MOTU updated their non-ā€œproā€ audio drivers that work with Catalina. Finally I can use CueMix again! :slight_smile: (tho on the plus side, I got to know the front panel of my ultralite mk3 pretty well in the last few months!)

2 Likes

Nord have been really dropping the ball with support for their legacy systems - but ND3 isnā€™t even yet legacy!

Wow that is great news! I wasnā€™t expecting this.
My 2005 Traveler can live yet another life!
:High five:

Edit: looks like I spoke too soon. Traveler MK1 not on the list.
Womp womp. Itā€™s okay little buddy, you still work over ADAT.

mac os will always be ahead of other gear you have, so check the drivers and software u use always first.

For info - Ploytec have produced a Catalina compatible driver, so hopefully some of the USB audio drivers for various bits of kit, will now be updated asap. Very much looking forward to Virus TI getting an update.

So how is the status now with upgrading from Mojave?

Are things starting to be supported in Catalina and Big Sur?

Should I upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, or just stay in Mojave? :slight_smile:

Which ā€œthingsā€ are important to you?

2 Likes