MacOS Mojave to Catalina warning

End of life for Live 9 on Mac :frowning:

…and from fb

we’re sorry about this situation, we also regret the new update to the MacOS, but we simply don’t have the means to keep investing time and effort in older versions of Live, as we are at the same time investing a lot of effort to develop a bug-free version of the current and future Live versions. On top of that, we receive hundreds of feature requests from our users on our daily basis and with developing those, it is for us simply not feasible to have an extra team dedicated to keep previous versions bug-free.

Remember people. Don’t.

1 Like

Is there a way to turn off that thing that asks when you want to update? Not only is it annoying it’s also dangerous

1 Like

I guess in Preferences

Updates
Advanced and unchecked everything…

1 Like

I’m on Mavericks & going nowhere :rofl:

1 Like

If I am on High Sierra but my MBP 13 touchbar 2018 sometimes has some strange graphical glitches. Should I update to Mojave to get the latest possible software updates? I have no intention to upgrade to Catalina, this is just to keep the laptop as updated as I can before being force to Catalina in case of a reinstall from zero.

I’m personally perfectly fine with Mojave on my iMac (21,5 inch, End 2013)
For proper reinstall I suggest you to download the last installer file 10.14.6 with preferences > updates > download Mojave feature or appstore (but at the end it’s the same)
Then Donwload and install macdaddy install-disk-creator :

And setup a USB key (Fast USB stick is better or External SSD as it will make the installation process much more faster) with installers and you can boot on the usb stick while powering the Mac and maintaining ALT key you will then be able to make a fresh install.

Usually before those kind of things it’s better to make a image disc with dedicated tool like superduper! or CCC (https://bombich.com)

But I say that only because of the Touch Bar, For sure last OS version should probably fix things and make the TouchBar working better.

The point is no upgrade on Catalina … since everything sorted out.

1 Like

Mojave has been very stable for me, but as ever - your mileage may vary. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers! Yes, doing a bootable disk is definitely a good idea! good tip!

Yes, using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable disk is a good idea

1 Like

There’s just few things to know with the bootable hard drive (in the case on an image disc) is be aware that most of the activation VST will not work depending on their activation system. (I mean booting on the cloned hard-drive and working on it …)

BUT if you then reinstall the image disc on the original hard drive (the internal one)
all should work as expected.

Proper Re-install will need to activate every VST and app who need it.

IF you have software with the option to de-activate before launching the whole process it can be a good idea to deactivate/revoke before… otherwise generally it’s the lost computer declaration and it’s not ideal because at a certain amount they may questioning you or worst…

I installed the MOTU AVB / Pro Audio driver package on my Catalina beta machine, because why not, and it looks like my old mk3 is recognised by it.

CueMIX doesn’t run at all, and the UltraLite utility doesn’t either, but apparently all of the audio channels are available and visible in my DAW. So I can use the front panel to configure it and it works.

(I still don’t recommend installing Catalina :slight_smile: (edit: yet!))

1 Like

Reckon I might set up another partition and dual-boot, to see how things go…

2 Likes

When I read threads like this, I always wonder when the myth ends that “Macs are superior to Windows-PCs because they are user-friendly and just run”.

I work as an IT-professional and using a Windows-PC and a Macbook at home and MacOS is becoming more and more a PITA with every major update. They add very little and introduce more bugs and incompatibilites (see the abandonment of 32 bit apps, while Microsofts backwards-compatibility is insane). I am sure the next step will be that they wont allow users to install unsigned apps outside of their “walled garden”-appstore anymore.

1 Like

MOTU drivers are still not updated.

Pro Audio Interfaces work, but still not the hybrid ones. (with the caveat mentioned in my last post!)

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-catalina/

OB is also not yet ready for Catalina.

(To be fair, the warnings to developers about dropping 32-bit driver support in macOS have been loud and clear for several years.)

Perhaps because, from my experience at least, it’s very much true.

I had been exclusively a Windows user for the best part of 30 years until around about March of this year. Windows just wore me down. Was fed up with the crashes. The shite laptop build quality (Dell XPS included). The absolutely random nonsense you’d run in to (I couldn’t do music for a weekend because my printer decided not to allow it :rofl:).

So, I jumped ship to a MBP. I don’t see myself going back. It’s actually made me hate my work laptops several magnitudes more (they are ancient Windows machines).

No OS is perfect but, I’m happy to sacrifice backwards compatibility and what not for the user experience. “It just works” nails it for me. It’s quite subjective though and it wasn’t that long ago that I was bashing Apple to be honest. My ITB productivity though has skyrocketed this year. Even simple stuff like Soundflower makes life incredibly straightforward.

2 Likes

You can use https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/index.html to check which software you’re currently still using on your Mac is 32-bit to help you decide whether or not you can safely update to macOS Catalina. Make sure to set it to scan for “All Executables” so that it also includes drivers and plugins.

If you want or need to stay on your current version of macOS, then you can remove macOS upgrade notifications using the following terminal command:

sudo mv /Library/Bundles/OSXNotification.bundle ~/Documents/ && softwareupdate --ignore macOSInstallerNotification_GM

You’ll still be able to upgrade of course, this only disables the notification banners.

7 Likes

You don‘t need a special software for this!

How to Check for 32-bit Apps on Mac

1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner.
  2. Select About This Mac.
  3. Select System Report…
  4. Click and drag the lower right corner of the screen to expand the window, so that the 64-bit apps column appears.
  5. Click 64-bit apps, to sort the apps.
2 Likes

That doesn’t include stuff like drivers, plugins, etc.

3 Likes