Machine Drum used by established artists

Oni Ayhun (the side project of Olof from The Knife) uses the Machinedrum extensively. I know for a fact :wink:

Olof also uses the :elmm:

1 Like

Photo of Olof using the monomachine: http://i.imgur.com/dWOga.jpg

Is it the thing to the right of her?

thanks man. [quote=ā€œumonox, post:37, topic:35482ā€]
Other professional Producers just mentioned that they used it back at that time, but i dont have examples - i read that in magazines or on the Net ā€¦ but thats long ago already.
[/quote]
yeah iā€™ve basically heard the same thing myself, that everyone was namedropping it for awhile back during that period. iā€™ve never had trouble finding inspiration in it myself, but OTOH iā€™ve not come across a lot of professionally produced and released tracks (something youā€™d find on vinyl, say, or a proper underground label) that actually saw it used. i remember being thrilled to find a vinyl copy of kondensā€™s tropic star cos it was the only time i was sure i was hearing md.

anyway if you or anyone else come across tracks on that level iā€™d be interested.

JustinValerā€™s youtube videos of his Machinedrum are the reason I bought the machine!:joy:

3 Likes

I assumed all of them, I always thought their sound was really heavy on MD and MNM. It was probably the thing that drew me in to Elektron in the first place. That digital harshness is an acquired taste but also quite unique.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if Olof identifies as a her or a him (cis Male), but the thing to the right of Olof is the Monomachine.

Neil Landstrumm

1 Like

Huge amounts of Silent Shout are Monomachine and Machinedrum. We Share Our Mothersā€™ Health is quite possibly 100% :elmm: + :elmd: judging by the sound of it.

3 Likes

From the tech talk and what Iā€™ve read the sibilings Dreijer are close with the founders of Elektron: family friends, or something.

One could do all Silent Shout on the MD, MnM and a TC Voicelive (ok, exaggeration)

While Shaking the Habitual saw their production expand considerably, itā€™s still there (Full of Fire).

AFAIK, there has been no mention of Elektron viv-a-vis Fever Ray.

Do you know where you read that? Iā€™m not contradicting you, but Iā€™d love to know more about the making of that album. For me itā€™s a go-to reference.

I LOVE Fever Ray too :wink:

This is from one of the producersā€™ Instagram. MicroTonic was also used (source: Sonic Charge customer comment from Berg, https://soniccharge.com/pubcomments). Also one certain pics of Fever Ray liveshow, you can clearly see the MD.
Not sure for the MnM for this album though. It looks like she uses a microKorg to play some pads live. They are other musicians (Berg and Van rivers I think), but I didnā€™t figure out what they were using. I guess that they use pretty much the same gear in the studio.

But these are just tools. You could do the same just within Ableton, but Elektronā€™s instruments just make it easier to just throw subtle nuances in a song, the way Fever Ray does it.

EDIT: You canā€™t actually see the comment on the picture so I just copy it here:
ā€œPacking this trusted workhorse one last time, tomorrow Iā€™m donating it to MusikhjƤlpen #mh12, a fresh water and sanitation charity for children in need. Feel free to follow, bid and donate. This unit I used with Depeche Mode, Fever Ray and almost every other project i did since i got itā€

3 Likes

Thanks.

Iā€™ve scoured the web for info on the making of that album and all Iā€™ve found is that she wrote it using VSTs (there are some obvious Wavestation presets) and gave it to some people (Berg included) to produce/mix (which they did on an analogue board). I expect they used some analog synths and definitively some instruments. For such cold music itā€™s an incredibly warm sounding album.

i am very tempted to put up a youtube link to my creations ā€¦ muhhaaaaa

Same, itā€™s one of my all time favs. Real shame she hasnā€™t done another.

1 Like

Yeah, he did some really great Stuff. I downloaded a Set from Soundcloud he once made in a 4-part Video Series on Youtube. This is the first part of it:

That one was the Everytime-Play in my Car back at that time :slight_smile: He seems to be not so active anymore. His newer Stuff with the Minicommand isnt bad though. But i really miss those ā€œoldā€ vibes he did!

@JustinValer if you read that: Do some Minimal-Techno/Deep-House Stuff again, please! Your stuff was always very inspirational :slight_smile:

4 Likes

starting just after 1:30 ā€¦ this Buildup, carried over in the regular track - that was so damn fantastic!! the whole track there is awesome ā€¦ i already forgot how good it is :slight_smile: listening to the whole Set now! - AGAIN !!! :smiley:

Cā€™mon @JustinValer ā€¦ do something like this again !!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But iā€™m an old recluse now, locked away with his synthesisers never to be seen again.

Everyone loves a comeback story, donā€™t they :grinning:.

If weā€™re travelling down MD memory lane, letā€™s not forget this beauty (22 machinedrum patterns):

5 Likes

So I was looking through my Hard Drive and found a completely unreleased track.
Recorded live on the MD in 2011-2012 (around the same time as the live sets were being made)
At that time I didnā€™t think it sounded any good, so I played it to nobody and threw it in the bin. (I did this with a lot of my music)

I just did a quick mastering job on it and here is the 2017 release.

A little bit of background. I was heavily influenced by Stephen Bodzin/Marc Romboy/Thomas Schumacherā€¦ I was trying to push the limits of the MD, creating crazy stereo effects, builds and breakdowns.
I was a man on a mission, I thought there was no limit to what I could get out of the MD.I spent hours trying to make kicks and snares as punchy and loud as club tracks.

When the track was finished, I realised it wasnā€™t loud enough to play live (and compete with the records played by DJs who would often be scheduled before or after me). So I abandoned the song after recording a full take. Looking back now, this was probably one of the better mixed MD recordings I made.

I still have a plethora of unreleased material like this. Not quite as polished. The Minicommand Live firmware was supposed to help me flesh a lot of it out.

9 Likes

nice one brother, thanks for sharing. i remember listening to dopplereffekt over and over again, loving romboyā€™s perc & chord vibe. this track took me there too.

1 Like