Machine Drum used by established artists

I understand that the MD is a bit out of fashion these days. But, Andy Stott seems to have used it extensively in his Faith in Strangers album. Besides him and The knife, are there any/many examples of tracks that it’s easy to identify?
I’ve read the elektron users forum post like this but time has passed and most of the links are dead.

4 Likes

Autechre used it on Untitled and Quaristice

7 Likes

Chemical Brothers. One of the earlier adopters.

Chvrches used it on their first album.

3 Likes

dntel / postal service by jimmy tamborello

2 Likes

There were rumors on GS that Thom Yorke used it on the Eraser album.

And according to http://thekingofgear.com/thom/percussion
MD "Used in studio on In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, probably tons on the Eraser, and possibly even on Hail To The Thief."

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone. The king of gear is going to be quite the rabbithole.

Forgot that postal service used it too

Actress

1 Like

They who led me to Elektron:

The Knife

3 Likes

John Tejada, e.g.:

2 Likes

Cevin Key

2 Likes

Untilted, not Untitled

3 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like

not my fav tracks of his but this guy got some reallo good ones :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First heard of Elektron through John Frusciante, who talked about lying in bed all day and making tunes on the machinedrum and monomachine for 15 hours straight … haha

7 Likes

the Machinedrum is a long time staple of Extrawelt’s live p.a…

7 Likes

The MD is only being used for triggers to an Analogue Solutions midi to trigger module in those Snares videos, triggering the modular. There’s no sound from the MD there. Great tracks tho, Traditional Synthesizer Music was one of my favorite albums from last year.

2 Likes

the MD was THE DEFINITE drummachine for Minimal Techno back in the days. Its heritage continues. I dont have examples right now but it was used extensively in 2004 to 2007/2008 as this style of electronic music evolved. Pretty much every producer has used it - if he/she could afford one. And tons of others used samples captured from their Machines.

Later on, even EDM Producers have started to use it; here’s a video showcasing how Thomas Gold has used the Toms from the MD:

Cant tell if its used that extensively today though. Its almost organic sound will surely be promintent again - one day :slight_smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes